Colts Elevate Da'Rick Rogers to the Active Roster

26CornerBlitz

Reality check time to what REALLY happened...

Rogers (a guy I thought would be a lock as a prospect WR here too and wanted here like so many others) came in with a short leash and a LOT to prove. For every big play people are talking about (and there was not that many) in camp, he would have 2 or 3 complete lapses mentally. It was never about physical talent, it was his mental game that was lacking. The mental lapses then lead to pouting.

I do not fault the Bills, no matter how Rogers turns out, for cutting a guy who was not earning the spot, was weak mentally, and pouted all the time. Me personally, I would still have liked to keep him over Hogan, mainly because I did not feel we needed Hogan as a unit. But at the same time, Rogers KNEW the situation...he was undrafted, should have had a chip on his shoulder and came in ready to work and earn a spot. In the end, is grossly inconsistent performance, mental lapses, and pouting are what got him cut, not a bad FO.

Rogers earned his cut. Like others, I would have preferred to have kept him too, but I don't fault the staff for not keeping a guy who had so much to prove and didn't come in and show he belonged nor showed the mental side of the game needed to be successful at this level. Maybe thats what he needed to earn his roster spot somewhere else. Eagles cut Cris Carter, and Carter credits that for saving his career and life.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember reading any of that. He had one catch against the colts in preseason but other than that he was invisible

i think he meant the summer camps. he was semi-regularly mentioned as getting deep balls and then they showed up to training camp and it seemed he did something to get in the doghouse.

Reality check time to what REALLY happened...

Rogers (a guy I thought would be a lock as a prospect WR here too and wanted here like so many others) came in with a short leash and a LOT to prove. For every big play people are talking about (and there was not that many) in camp, he would have 2 or 3 complete lapses mentally. It was never about physical talent, it was his mental game that was lacking. The mental lapses then lead to pouting.

I do not fault the Bills, no matter how Rogers turns out, for cutting a guy who was not earning the spot, was weak mentally, and pouted all the time. Me personally, I would still have liked to keep him over Hogan, mainly because I did not feel we needed Hogan as a unit. But at the same time, Rogers KNEW the situation...he was undrafted, should have had a chip on his shoulder and came in ready to work and earn a spot. In the end, is grossly inconsistent performance, mental lapses, and pouting are what got him cut, not a bad FO.

Rogers earned his cut. Maybe thats what he needed to earn his roster spot somewhere else. Eagles cut Cris Carter, and Carter credits that for saving his career and life.

I hear you but I do not want to be the team that cut Cris Carter. I think there is about a .001% chance that he ends up being Cris Carter but that is .001% more likely than Hogan.

Bottom line Rogers didn't have the juice to be a cancer. If he sucked and pouted let him walk at the end of the year. The Bills have strong leadership with Freddie, Wood, etc... This team should have given him an "extended tryout" by keeping him. Yes, I realize that is not "fair" to other candidates vying for the 6th-7th WR spot. When your ceiling is a 6th-7th WR you do not get the same treatment as someone who's ceiling is a #1 or #2.

I hear you but I do not want to be the team that cut Cris Carter. I think there is about a .001% chance that he ends up being Cris Carter but that is .001% more likely than Hogan.

Bottom line Rogers didn't have the juice to be a cancer. If he sucked and pouted let him walk at the end of the year. The Bills have strong leadership with Freddie, Wood, etc... This team should have given him an "extended tryout" by keeping him. Yes, I realize that is not "fair" to other candidates vying for the 6th-7th WR spot. When your ceiling is a 6th-7th WR you do not get the same treatment as someone who's ceiling is a #1 or #2.

Im not necessairly disagreeing with you, I am just saying I dont blame the FO for his cut. If it was me, I would have taken a chance on him. At the same time, I understand that guys like Woods, Goodwin, Easley and even Graham were all impressing in camp. Brad Smith was too. Easley earned his spot, so it came down to Hogan, Smith, or Rogers. Rogers had the least impressive performance of all of them, had off field concerns, showed head case issues like mental lapses and lots of sulking and pouting, etc. So, I get why the staff may have felt one of the other guys would be a better fit, especially on ST where Rogers had been bad. If Rogers had put hard work into his ST and showed a fire on that unit, he would have likely saved his roster spot. But he couldnt even do that.

Again, because a guy like Hogan was expendable, I personally would gamble on the Rogers...but I also see why they decided to cut him. Again, I blame Rogers effort on ST, mental lapses, and sulking/pouting...not the FO for their decision. If you cant out play Hogan, you are having a bad camp. And when you are an undrafted rookie free agent who was kicked out of school, had attitude problems in college and other off field issues, you can not be out played by Hogan and also suck on ST and expect to keep a roster spot.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Everyone in the offseason was talking about how we have this all star WR corps without having anything on stat line. When Brad Smith went down it was clear we'd keep an additional WR - I thought it was a sign we had a plan with Rogers. This past offseason I was looking forward to a guy like Woods, Graham, another speedy WR at 5th and David Nelson joining SJ13. I knew Easley was going to be a special teamer, fine with that. But, with Woods, Graham, 5th WR, Nelson, Easley, and SJ13 I thought Rogers would be just fine on the practice squad.

I am more disappointed that we did not attempt to PS him then I am that we did not keep him active. However, I am fully disappointed - especially now in retrospect that the IR tag to return and PUP list were available - that Nelson was not available. He was dynamic against the Pats, we need a player with his ability and he would have fit in well here.

He'll be awesome if he runs the right route and doesn't fall asleep on the field. IF. Frankly, Luck deserves better. Peyton wouldn't let a guy like him in the facility.

Seems like you missed this from the linked article or you'd just like to ignore it:

"You've got a talented football player," Pagano said, citing Rogers' size, speed and big-play ability. "Now we are going to give him an opportunity because he's earned it."

Although Rogers failed to endear himself to the Bills coaching staff before his late August release, Pagano noted that he's already picked up the Colts offense by arriving early and staying late since landing in Indianapolis two months ago.

i think he meant the summer camps. he was semi-regularly mentioned as getting deep balls and then they showed up to training camp and it seemed he did something to get in the doghouse.

Lack of effort chasing an interception if I remember correctly....that got him in the doghouse.

Too bad we don't have a Reggie Wayne type vet to take the youngsters under their wing and teach what it takes to be an NFL wideout.

Edited by DGW54321

Seems like you missed this from the linked article or you'd just like to ignore it:

"You've got a talented football player," Pagano said, citing Rogers' size, speed and big-play ability. "Now we are going to give him an opportunity because he's earned it."

Although Rogers failed to endear himself to the Bills coaching staff before his late August release, Pagano noted that he's already picked up the Colts offense by arriving early and staying late since landing in Indianapolis two months ago.

He may have had to have a little more of a dose of reality, sort of like Lynch. I guess if it really came down to it, I wish him luck. Life is too short to hold a grudge.

Except for Tom Brady. !@#$ you, Tom, you little B word.

chris carter would never have become chris carter had he not been cut.

with a new coach coming in and trying to instill his core values and beliefs in this very, very young team, how would he have the respect of his players if he were to keep a guy on the team that was behaving in a way that (i am assuming) was an example of what this coach was telling his players not to be?

And also he is getting an opportunity because they have 1 decent WR on the active roster and just got blown out by a bad team at home because they have no WRs to throw to. But hopefully he has turned it around! Edited by YoloInTheBlo

Lack of effort chasing an interception if I remember correctly....that got him in the doghouse.

Too bad we don't have a Reggie Wayne type vet to take the youngsters under their wing and teach what it takes to be an NFL wideout.

Still, even before that he seemed pretty well placed into the doghouse. If anything that looked like the last straw

chris carter would never have become chris carter had he not been cut.

with a new coach coming in and trying to instill his core values and beliefs in this very, very young team, how would he have the respect of his players if he were to keep a guy on the team that was behaving in a way that (i am assuming) was an example of what this coach was telling his players not to be?

Don't they always say that NFL stands for Not For Long? You could have 53 hard working, good attitude Tim Anderson's on your team (and you will have a job for about a season). Your program doesn't matter if you don't have the talent to go along with it. You need both to win. Like I said I am not saying that Rogers is going to be any good. All that I have advocated for on a rebuilding team was to take shots on talent. It wouldn't make any difference if a guy like Hogan (not to keep picking on him) was on the roster or not. You can find a million guys like him so there was no need to protect him. If Rogers developed you have another important piece (a big, athletic, physical WR) in your rebuild. If not, you are no better or worse off because you didn't give up anything to get him. That's what drives me nuts about the whole situation. IMO, there was no risk. He couldn't influence the locker room and if he fell on his face he can go at the end if the year. I just would have given an extended chance to see if he could fill a role that the team needs that he is physically capable of filling.

I think it was a fairly arrogant move on the Bills part. It had little to do with skill or potential on the field and had everything to do with "I'm in charge now, you're not, you're cut". This team couldn't (and still can't) afford to make personnel decision based on teaching players a "lesson".

Don't they always say that NFL stands for Not For Long? You could have 53 hard working, good attitude Tim Anderson's on your team (and you will have a job for about a season). Your program doesn't matter if you don't have the talent to go along with it. You need both to win. Like I said I am not saying that Rogers is going to be any good. All that I have advocated for on a rebuilding team was to take shots on talent. It wouldn't make any difference if a guy like Hogan (not to keep picking on him) was on the roster or not. You can find a million guys like him so there was no need to protect him. If Rogers developed you have another important piece (a big, athletic, physical WR) in your rebuild. If not, you are no better or worse off because you didn't give up anything to get him. That's what drives me nuts about the whole situation. IMO, there was no risk. He couldn't influence the locker room and if he fell on his face he can go at the end if the year. I just would have given an extended chance to see if he could fill a role that the team needs that he is physically capable of filling.

i completely understand the position of taking chances on talent, because it is something you absolutely need to have on your team in order to win. and i agree that you cannot just have a bunch of hard working role models with mediocre ability and expect to truly contend. having said that, i still think that in this case, the big picture was marrone getting his point across of what he expects from his players.

I think it was a fairly arrogant move on the Bills part. It had little to do with skill or potential on the field and had everything to do with "I'm in charge now, you're not, you're cut". This team couldn't (and still can't) afford to make personnel decision based on teaching players a "lesson".

That is just absurd.

GO BILLS!!!

A sick and twisted part of me wants to see him tear it up if only to reinforce my own disbelief in the Bill's FO judgement. It's the same sick and twisted part of me that morbidly wishes to see Geno Smith throw the game winning TD to David Nelson. I think I'm just a bad person.

Yeah that won't feel good.

I have also been in the Da'Rick camp for a while. I thought that he should have made the team ahead of Hogan based on talent alone. For the handful of snaps he was worth a shot to see if he could live up to his talent. I feel stronger about it now than I did at the start of the year. When you have a rebuilding team you take chances on young talented players with high upside. You can find Chris Hogan's every year and anywhere. It is easy to find and too replace. It is much harder to get your hands on talents like Rogers. If he busts out all that you lost was Hogan.

No talented athletes without the work ethic or drive to succeed and a lack of self control are a dime a dozen.

What evidence everyone used to conclude how amazing this guy is escapes me.

Also everyone was sure he'd get sniped off of the buf PS... Well i guess Indy made it to week 10 without the secret of his immense talent getting out...

in a young receiver group, and with young qbs, it could be 100% true. and like i said, without seeing how he handled himself day to day -- i dont like to get tooooo angry about a decision like this, but if your 6th WR is going to submarine your whole team, either hes a REALLY TERRIBLE person, or you have a really fragile team. not sure where they assessed it, but they made the call with more info than ill ever have.

I respectfully disagree. How would you feel going to work and busting your butt every day while a co-worker didn't put in effort and take the job seriously? Most people can't ignore that and it eventually creates bad feelings with the rest of the workers. Some (many?) will eventually figure they can reduce their effort if the boss isn't making the other guy work or getting rid of the other guy.