where do you stand?

Just curious to see where everyone stands on certain issues and if there is an unlikely agreement or common ground between some of the farther right or left posters here.

go ahead put your position on record.

Where do you stand on;

The 2nd amendment and gun control?

Obamacare / healthcare?

The current tax code and IRS?

War on drugs / legalization of drugs?

Gay marriage?

Social security / private social security?

Government sanctioned spy programs on US citizens?

Should congress have to pass a budget, and should it be balanced?

How big should government be? How important are personal individual freedoms?

Should the US have an official religion, give any religion preference, or outlaw any religious element.

Should the US have an official language?

Voter ID laws? Should you have to prove who you are? Who should be eligible to vote?

Political office term limits?

Any additional comments, categories to discuss? Feel free to add

I guess everyone else that read this is scared, or didn't want to bother with so many questions, but I feel froggy so I'll jump first...

What part of "shall not be infringed is so hard to understand?

Obamacare / healthcare?

What a tangled mess we weave. Perhaps they should have read it before they passed it, so EVERYONE would know what's in it?

Abolish it, and institute the "fair tax" or something similar.. The government has become very good at this divide and conquer thing because they only raise taxes on a segment of the people at a time, making most shrug their shoulders because what the heck, it doesn't affect me.... But, could you imagine if everyone paid the same, and the only way to raise taxes was to do it on everyone at once, the ramifications for anyone proposing such a thing?

We, as a nation, have more people per capita in prison than any other nation on earth and most, are there for non-violent crimes. WTF? OVER???? I know the argument, "but, it might lead to violent crimes!"... But I would argue, there are laws against violent crimes that the Constitution supports. Drugs themselves, without the other, are merely crimes against yourself...

Gay marriage?

Take the word if you insist, but I know, a true marriage is a joining between a man and a woman. Call gay or lesbian unions marriage if you want... It's just a word...

If it had been left as a retirement supplemental income instead of adding all these other rules to it, and robbing from the "lock box" for other programs, it would remain solvent for years yet. But like any other ponzai scheme, it would still eventually fail. The only way to save it would be to return responsibility of overseeing it to the very people it was meant to help instead of the politicians...

What part of the 4th is so hard to understand?

To the first, yes, it's required by the Constitution. To the second, let's do this instead... Make ANY increase in the debt ceiling mandatory the it be passed by the popular vote of the people. Since I above proposed an equal share of taxation, how do you think that will go over??

Again, 2 questions... First one, no bigger than necessary to the job of defending the nation, and defending individual rights....

Second one: Important enough to have been included in what we call the "Bill of Rights" of the Constitution.

Look to the Preamble of the Constitution:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I know... this looks like the people actually established the nation instead of the government did huh???

Should the US have an official religion, give any religion preference, or outlaw any religious element.

What part of the 1st is so hard to understand? Let me add to the confusion... Did you know, this is actually the THIRD article proposed for the Bill of Rights and not the first? The first never passed, but the second became the 27th Amendment.

Anyway, as a confessed

I would have a very serious problem with a declared religion, even my own.

No

Voter ID laws? Should you have to prove who you are? Who should be eligible to vote?

ALL American citizens, and yes, even felon should be able to vote. Look at it this way, who is the government more afraid of? You and me the law abiding citizen? Or the ones they are trying to squash???

Not needed if we make them put all monies in trust while in office, and stop cronyism... Oh.... and salary can not exceed median income of all Americans... :-)

Re-establish that ALL juries are taught the principles of jury nullification!!!!

The 2nd amendment and gun control? -- same as the 9 ammendments.

Obamacare / healthcare? -- lol. Let doctors/nurses work off their student loans in free clinics. Gigantic gubmint cluster!@#$s aren't going to make anyone any healthier and will cost billions. Assign a death panel to execute Kathleen Seibelus.

The current tax code and IRS? -- Needs to be dramatically simplified.

War on drugs / legalization of drugs? -- Full legalization would be a mess, but we need to stop locking up people for selling dime bags.

Gay marriage? -- No thank you, but if other people want to do that, fine with me.

Social security / private social security? -- No need to privitize it if you balance the budget.

Government sanctioned spy programs on US citizens? -- Depends who you grant citizenship to -- pretty broad topic, not a yes/no question.

Should congress have to pass a budget, and should it be balanced? -- Yes. All congresscriminals should forfeit all pay for themselves and their staff for every day there isn't a balanced budget.

How big should government be? How important are personal individual freedoms? -- A fraction of the size it is now. Very.

Should the US have an official religion, give any religion preference, or outlaw any religious element. -- No

Should the US have an official language? -- No, but we shouldn't be printing government documents in 70 different languages either.

Voter ID laws? Should you have to prove who you are? Who should be eligible to vote? -- Obviously. There's nothing remotely close to an intelligent argument against this.

Political office term limits? -- The biggest mistake made by the Founders and the biggest obstacle to long term survival of the country.

The 2nd amendment and gun control? -- same as the 9 ammendments.

Obamacare / healthcare? -- lol. Let doctors/nurses work off their student loans in free clinics. Gigantic gubmint cluster!@#$s aren't going to make anyone any healthier and will cost billions. Assign a death panel to execute Kathleen Seibelus.

The current tax code and IRS? -- Needs to be dramatically simplified.

War on drugs / legalization of drugs? -- Full legalization would be a mess, but we need to stop locking up people for selling dime bags.

Gay marriage? -- No thank you, but if other people want to do that, fine with me.

Social security / private social security? -- No need to privitize it if you balance the budget.

Government sanctioned spy programs on US citizens? -- Depends who you grant citizenship to -- pretty broad topic, not a yes/no question.

Should congress have to pass a budget, and should it be balanced? -- Yes. All congresscriminals should forfeit all pay for themselves and their staff for every day there isn't a balanced budget.

How big should government be? How important are personal individual freedoms? -- A fraction of the size it is now. Very.

Should the US have an official religion, give any religion preference, or outlaw any religious element. -- No

Should the US have an official language? -- No, but we shouldn't be printing government documents in 70 different languages either.

Voter ID laws? Should you have to prove who you are? Who should be eligible to vote? -- Obviously. There's nothing remotely close to an intelligent argument against this.

Political office term limits? -- The biggest mistake made by the Founders and the biggest obstacle to long term survival of the country.

Pretty much agree with this and don't think we need an official religion but it pisses me off that manger scenes can't be presented on public property. After all we are a nation founded on individual freedom but seeped in Christianity. I also have no problem if Dearborn MI wants to put up Muslim scenes.

The official language should be English. That's how we started and that's how it should be. My God, Canada almost split over the issue. People can speak any language they want, but if they want to vote, as citizens they had better learn how to speak English.

The balanced budget idea is probably the most ignorant and dangerous idea around.How many people would lose their jobs if the government eliminated spending for the public sector jobs and the contracts to private firms. No wonder the BS boy supports it.

The country has had a debt since it's inception, it expands the money supply, supports necessary services and just makes our lives so much better.

What would be the benefits of balancing the budget? "You don't know??" is not an answer.

The balanced budget idea is probably the most ignorant and dangerous idea around.How many people would lose their jobs if the government eliminated spending for the public sector jobs and the contracts to private firms. No wonder the BS boy supports it.

The country has had a debt since it's inception, it expands the money supply, supports necessary services and just makes our lives so much better.

What would be the benefits of balancing the budget? "You don't know??" is not an answer.

The country has had a debt since it's inception
no it hasn't... read your history books again....

it

expands the money supply
yup, it's actually called monetizing the debt or otherwise known as inflationary spending...

How does that help the "regular" folk again?? Forcing them into a higher tax bracket? ALL government induced???

Where did this guy come from??? WOW!!!!

no it hasn't... read your history books again....

yup, it's actually called monetizing the debt or otherwise known as inflationary spending...

How does that help the "regular" folk again?? Forcing them into a higher tax bracket? ALL government induced???

Where did this guy come from??? WOW!!!!

Oh no, not inflation!! Idiots like you don't know that inflation is good, you morons think all inflation is hyper inflation!! Where did you come from? An a-hole somewhere?

Oh no, not inflation!! Idiots like you don't know that inflation is good, you morons think all inflation is hyper inflation!! Where did you come from? An a-hole somewhere?

Hey Runaway, when you get refuted in this thread will you just run away again and post nonsense in another thread? Remember, you need to contribute here.

How about supporting your position with some numbers and facts?

To me, it's not about the gun, but about the person holding the gun.

Obamacare / healthcare?

Should we be able to provide healthcare to all our citizens in some form? Absolutely. But I don't think a complete forced overhaul is the answer. Affect small changes (that add up) first. They'll usually have the quickest impact and you can get a feel for the collateral damage early on. Wholesale implemenation and change usually turns into a giant game of Whack a Mole. You may correct a few moles, but you'll be constantly chasing the little @#$%@#s unwanted offspring.

Simplify and minimize the political lever that it's become.

Legalize consumption. We already have laws punishing the stupid @#$% people do while consuming.

Gay marriage?

Don't care. I say go to town and marry whoever you want, so we can move on and pay attention to @#$% that actually may affect whether we fade or prosper as a country.

I resent being forced to pay into scheme because Joe Citizen can't manage their own affairs and would rather buy a pool table for his dining room than save up a little cash for a rainy day. That's a whole 'nother rant....we've made it too easy to be stupid in this country and as a result we govern to the lowest common denominator.

To the gov't..... I'm about halfway through my working career. You can keep what I and my employer have paid into your cracker @ss scheme to date and never pay me a single cent. You just have to stop docking me every paycheck going forward. I'll still come out ahead.

Eh...from a personal standpoint, I don't have anything I wouldn't want them to know...so spy away if you must, I'm sure there is some good things that come out of it. But this feels like it's a can of worms that will eventually lead us down the road to a bad Tom Cruise Sci-Fi flick.

1.) They should be required to pass a budget.

2.) Recognizing it's sometimes necessary/ and beneficial to spend over your budget, I can live with it not being balanced all the time. However this would require a certain degree of diligence to make up the shortfalls that I have little faith in Washington being able to manage. So again, we come back to the denominator. You're not capable of fostering this approach so we need to dumb it down. Balance the damn budget.

No. Worship toasters for all I care. I just don't want to hear about it.

I agree with the one above posts. No need to make it official, but the accomodation of every other dialect on the planet has gone a little to far. While this somewht dovetails into "my too easy to be stupid" diatribe...it's not necessarily that people in this category are stupid, but it shouldn't be on society/gov't/whatever to make things easier for them.

We have to show ID for almost any other transaction...why should voting be different? Every non-incarcerated US citizen should be able to vote....although I think the weight of your voite should be based on the amount of taxes you pay :devil: . I can't decide if the concept of each vote being equal is incredibly beautiful or incredibly insane.

Yes please. There's a reason someone will spend millions of dollars to get a job that pays roughly 200K a year. While term limits aren't the end all of correcting the pocket lining issue, it's a start.

Where do you stand on;

The toilet

Indifferent. Whacko's should not have guns but that doesn't mean we should take them away from others. I do not think a national or local gun registry is legal, I do not think cities like NYC banning guns, or NY in general banning guns is legal. If you want a gun you just need the money to buy it.

Obamacare / healthcare?

I am against the government telling me anything.

I understand the principle of whole standardized health insurance for everyone bit - that young people are not paying in to the system to support the older generation argument. Everyone should have health insurance, but it is not that easy.

Give a sales tax on all goods. The entire tax code is too confusing to understand, other then we bring in a lot and it come from all over. Find a tax that is fair to the proportionate.

Let communities decide what they want too do, else wise, legalize everything.

Gay marriage?

Marry a damn toaster if you want to. I don't care.

It'd be hard to get rid of at this point, but I am for privatized social security because I do not trust the government with any thing I consider mine.

I am against it but I am not bothered by it. It has not impacted my life directly that I know of... unless Jack Bauer killed some spies that were only seconds away from killing me and I never knew it.

Congress should approve a budget. Not pass a budget. It should not only be balanced, it should be saving a small % in some sort of annuity to do something special with - like, pizza buffet day at ChuckECheeses.

No bigger then my back yard. That should answer it all.

No. Nothing outlawed, but design a tax code based upon something really smart and complex and neat for taxing religions. I am tired of seeing shacks here in the country become churchs to obtain tax relief and then using it to buy the "Pastor" an Escalade.

Mexican.

You should have to prove who you are...an ID. Must own land, a car, or a leased property/housing OR employment, qualifying disability, or student status. Households receiving any form of government assistance must have additional income that is 500% greater then that in which they receive.

Yes. Not sure how long, maybe no more then 4 terms for any office.

Pro abortion. I would want more of them.

I'd give $10,000 to men and women wishing to get sterilized at the age of 20 if they do not have kids already. $5,000 to anyone 30 or over.

Edited by jboyst62

Just curious to see where everyone stands on certain issues and if there is an unlikely agreement or common ground between some of the farther right or left posters here.

Where do you stand on;

The 2nd amendment and gun control? Ban assault weapons.

Obamacare / healthcare? Single payer system like the rest of the advanced world.

The current tax code and IRS? Tax income less and wealth more; tax short term financial transactions.

War on drugs / legalization of drugs? Legalize.

Gay marriage? They should have the same legal status as heteros.

Social security / private social security? The system has worked well, and will continue to with a little tweaking.

Government sanctioned spy programs on US citizens? Roll back the security state.

Should congress have to pass a budget, and should it be balanced? Functional finance--the budget is set up to offset the swings in private sector spending and keep the economy near full employment, by rising in bad times, and falling in good times.

How big should government be? How important are personal individual freedoms? Big enough to offset the periodic swings in private sector spending, and 20% of GDP seems to be a good historical number. Though it will fluctuate in response to what happens in the private sector. Roll back the security state, the greatest threat to personal freedoms.

Should the US have an official religion, give any religion preference, or outlaw any religious element. Keep it separate as it's supposed to be.

Should the US have an official language? In effect, we do.

Voter ID laws? Should you have to prove who you are? Who should be eligible to vote? These invariably are used to restrict minority voters.

Political office term limits? It might have to come to this...

How to break the stranglehold of the 2 party system? We need to make it easier for alternative parties to get on ballots.

When I review the list of positions/issues above, I determine I'm probably more supportive of Democrat-sponsored positions than I originally thought. However, one thing I'm solidly sure of is that the Democrats keep nominating and electing the most unsavory and dishonest people to champion those positions; Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi...really? Their level of concern for the people of the USA appears lower than a wagon track. No negotiations! Crush the opposition! Those sentiments no longer feed the bulldog.

Who in their right mind puts the Internal Revenue Service in charge of administering the Affordable Care Act....?

Where do you stand on;

I feel the 2nd amendment is the most important because it guarantees all the others. I believe any law abiding citizen should be able to own anything from a .22 cal pistol to an m2 ..50 cal machine gun. The exception is I don't think private citizens should be able to own explosives/rocket launchers etc. I think everyone can agree mentally ill people and criminals should not legally be allowed to own weapons. I'm not sure at what level of crime you would cut off someones ability to own weapons but either way...

Obamacare / healthcare?

I believe any American should be able to seek medical treatment. I believe every American should be able to get health insurance (through employer, spouse, Medicare, privately purchased) I also feel that NO American should ever be forced into buying insurance if they don't want it. Ever. And why the hell is the IRS in charge of enforcing obamacare??? I am pro life. However I love jboys idea for the Gvt to pay people who do not want kids to get sterilized. This is a brilliant idea and would go a long way to helping correct many societal issues and social programs. It would be spending 10,000 upfront to save the government 10+ times that much down the road.

Too complex. I think it needs to be streamlined and simplified. Not sure what the best way to do that would be, but I'm willing to listen to any reasonable logical plan. Also I think because federal and state income tax comes out before take home pay that many are oblivious to it. If you had to write a check at the end of the year to the IRS for the same amount they would have taken up to that point per paycheck, a hell of a lot more people would be concerned with government spending and taxation.

Legalize. Treat/tax/enforce it same as alcohol. Including public intoxication, dwai, providing to a minor etc... prohibition is stupid. People are going to use anyways. No need to waste so many resources fighting it.

Gay marriage? Fine with it. Makes no difference on my day to day life. I don't care what consenting adults do or do not do. However, if private churches do not want to recognize gay marriage I'm also fine with that as well.(if you don't like it find another church) I wish the republicans would stop caring about gay marriage and stick to economic issues

Anyone under 40 should have the option to privatize their plan. I'm paying into a ponzi scheme where I will never enjoy the benefits from it because it has not been managed correctly.

I have nothing to hide but I hate it. If you want to get warrants to spy on specific small groups or individuals due to evidence I'm fine with it because there is cause and specific requests and court would be involved, but wholesale data mining and spying on everyone. No. Screw that.

Yes congress should have to pass a budget, and in fact if they can't meet the deadline they should not get paid until there is a budget. I think the budget should have to be balanced and begin to seriously address our debt, except during times or war or national emergency then I'm ok on that specific reason to borrow more to protect our country.

Government should be just big enough to maintain an orderly society and provide the services we need and to ensure the protection of our country. I'm sure we could seriously eliminate 30-50% of the federal gvt and be just fine. I place a high emphasis and value on individual freedoms.

Should the US have an official religion, give any religion preference, or outlaw any religious element. no preference or national religion. But the country was founded on judeo Christian values. If a town wants to put a manger scene at town hall and Joe atheist doesn't like it, it should be tough **** for him. The only religious aspect I would squash was if any sharia law elements tried to gain a foothold, they are incompatible with the values of our country and constitution.

no official language, but all government business should be English if we do not have a common language, we do not have a common culture.

Yes you should have to prove you are who you say you are. Shouldn't this be common sense?

Yes. In my head I was tossing around the idea to limit all politicians to no more than 10 years in office. This would return the government to how it was originally intended to be run by private citizens how take time off from their real careers to spend some time in gvt. It would eliminate career politicians, political grid lock. Shady back room deals and corruption,, and amazingly if elected officials basis would come from the private sector on a more frequent basis there would be an infusion of new ideas, expertise and dare I say, ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO PERFORM THEIR JOBS which they were elected for.

My viewpoints are that I am financially conservative tea party type and my social views are somewhat libertarian. I don't really have a viable party I identify with. Unfortunately its usually a republican candidate but I wish they would spend less time fighting a losing battle on social issues and stick to hammering on the economy and protecting personal freedoms.

Edited by drinkTHEkoolaid

Where do you stand on;

On the second amendment I am in total agreement. I think we create far too many idols and need to watch out for things like that. Whether it is a golden calf, a movie star or a football team, these things need to be seen for what they are, not worshiped. Whether liberal or conservative, we are all Bills fans and luckily there has not been too much there to idolize lately but when they get good again we should all remember this thread.

I think the gun control question could have been its own separate question and don't see the tie in. In short, I am not in favor of gun control because it doesn't work.

Obamacare / healthcare?

I would be all for it but commie stuff like this just plain never works.

I think it should be simplified. When you make the $$$$$ that I make you can afford a network of accountants, lawyers, ladies and campaign donors to save you a billion here or a billion there, but still some people can't do that and it is a pain in the neck. The more money I make, the more I pay so why not let me make money instead of using my time to hire these people to save me a few billion? This way the government gets more money too.

Drugs are for losers and a war on them would be great but government stinks at everything except real wars so they should privatize the war on drugs and authorize people to beat the crap out of pot heads for fun. This would make people fear smoking pot like they should and they would refrain. This in turn would stop the gateways into stronger drugs and eliminate annoying hippies.

Gay marriage?

Is this one of those oxycontins? Gay means happy right? Happy marriage? I am all for it but am also all for flapping my arms and flying to the moon. Good luck.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone but frankly the last thing I need to hear about is glorified begging for money from them. They will only lose it on lotto anyway.

This is not cool unless someone is doing something wrong.

Duh.

Boring question. I will skip it.

It should not be an official religion but there should be an election every 4 years to see which is the preferred religion. It should be two years separated from the prez election. This way if we elect a Mormon for example like we did with Obama and would have even if it was Romney we can prefer Christianity or Jewishness as a check and balance.

I don't like having to press 1 for English for example but people can talk whatever way they want. I think in the long run all languages will merge. Look at it this way: 15 years ago could you walk into a grocery store and buy a tortilla for example? That is not even an English word but might as well be. Same thing for "Chow Main" or "Swedish Meatballs". Everyone should lighten up and in a few generations it will be just one language anyway.

They should see who you voted for in the past. You lose points for picking crappy candidates. When you lose enough points, no more voting because you have bad judgement.

Only if you are a member of a political party like Republican or Democrat.

I don't like it when there are leaves all over the place like in October and November. Many places ban burning leaves due to global warming and I get that. But global warming is really due to cow farts but cows sometimes eat leaves. Why not take all the leaves off the trees in mid September and hide them from cows?