Lower test scores caused by...

boyst

Are there not models throughout the world where things are trending in the proper direction? Surely with how far we've fallen behind other countries in terms of our education and testing, there must be shining examples out there of programs and strategies that can be adopted and implemented, aren't there? There's just no excuse for this

NC does not pay their teachers. Their schools are not that appealing because no one wants to build new ones - at least around here. We are the among the smallest physical counties in the state and the only one with more then two school systems. We have 3. They're trying to make a 4th. Thomasville and Lexington City Schools are separate from Davidson County Schools. Raleigh/Wake Co. and Charlotte/Mecklenberg do not even have the extensive school system we do. We waste so much money in this county for having 3 of the same system in place that it is ridiculous.

All in all, North Carolina has had a lot of problems with education that are highly political and I will not touch on them here. This thread is just here because it is so funny that our school admin's are saying their students can't pass tests because the questions are too hard.

As a teacher, I have not had a raise since the 2006-2007 school year. My county, Cumberland, does the best we can with what we have. We've got great local support from our community (tax payers), but the state keeps reducing funding. We'll reap what we sow in 20 years.

Are there not models throughout the world where things are trending in the proper direction? Surely with how far we've fallen behind other countries in terms of our education and testing, there must be shining examples out there of programs and strategies that can be adopted and implemented, aren't there? There's just no excuse for this

Not without a complete overhaul of the system from one that was created around the time of the Industrial Revolution. The system at its core is very outdated. It has basically had pieces cobbled on here and there to try and keep with the times and become a patchwork mess.

Also standardized testing is garbage and a terrible way to evaluate students.

/soapbox

There are a lot of problems with Common Core. Harder questions are the least of them. There is a LOT to it. As the parent of a 5th grader, the best I can sum it up in a sentence or two is this: if you're going to change the way kids learn fundamentals, then start it in Kindergarten. We're not going to become Asia in a !@#$ing year. Slow the !@#$ down.

These kids and teachers are going through more **** than either deserves. It is sad to watch.

As a teacher, I have not had a raise since the 2006-2007 school year. My county, Cumberland, does the best we can with what we have. We've got great local support from our community (tax payers), but the state keeps reducing funding. We'll reap what we sow in 20 years.

I really feel for teachers. Between situations like you describe and possibly worse the lack of respect from some parents it has to be a tough job.

Cumberland County is a pretty interesting dynamic culturally. It has a diverse community and heavily populated by military families. Ft Bragg is in Cumberland for those that do not know. The amazing thing about NC is that they recruit heavily from out of state. I know at least 8 teachers off of the top of my head, 5 of them attended college in Ohio. Only one of them is someone I have known prior to moving to NC. With all that North Carolina does recruiting from out of state it makes me wonder why the educational system has not improved. Your post is a huge example of that - they refuse to pay teachers in this state regardless of the extremely high standards to become a teacher. They're not equal and this state has wasted too much and not paid teacher. Gov. Hagan was horrible for teachers, despite being a teacher herself.

Cumberland County is a pretty interesting dynamic culturally. It has a diverse community and heavily populated by military families. Ft Bragg is in Cumberland for those that do not know. The amazing thing about NC is that they recruit heavily from out of state. I know at least 8 teachers off of the top of my head, 5 of them attended college in Ohio. Only one of them is someone I have known prior to moving to NC. With all that North Carolina does recruiting from out of state it makes me wonder why the educational system has not improved. Your post is a huge example of that - they refuse to pay teachers in this state regardless of the extremely high standards to become a teacher. They're not equal and this state has wasted too much and not paid teacher. Gov. Hagan was horrible for teachers, despite being a teacher herself.

The EFMP considers Bragg a favorable base placement for families of special education students because of our program (I work in the district office special education department). Families that work closely with us really respect what we do as teachers; however, the state legislature and governor think differently I suppose. Heck, the governor ran on a platform of increasing educational funding last year only to see it slashed again this year. He cut thousands of jobs. Literally 2 weeks ago, it became public knowledge that he was planning a $250k renovation of his master bathroom in the governor's mansion before backing down due to public outrage. I sincerely hope that our state has reached its tipping point and something changes in 2016. By 2018, my wife's tenure is null and void. I don't have tenure, but my license is in good standing. Heck, maybe I'll move back to NYS. Season tickets for the bills must be cheaper than the worry that this state has caused my family.