Is TJ Graham any good?

Another TJ Graham thread????

Well Byrd is playing now and EJ is healthy so no more Tuel bashing, Kelsey retired and Brad Smith is on IR, Fitz was cut and Thigpen hasn't been hit by a football in months. Mario has 11 sacks and Manny lawson has been a nice surprise.

Unless Whitner comes back this offseason I think TJ Graham is our new whipping boy

TJ has yet to justify the Bills trading up for him.

That extra 7th round pick that might have been...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He seems like a good guy and I hate how quickly people have to yell out bust, but it doesn't look good. Too many mistakes, not enough big plays. Goodwin is a better wr than him. That said, a lot of folks loved calling Spiller and McKelvin busts and they turned it around. Problem is, Graham isn't an elite talent like those guys. But Marcus Easley isn't the answer either.

Another TJ Graham thread????

Well, in all fairness, he is only asking if TJ Graham is any good. Apparently the conscencious opinion of TBD isn't very clear... :rolleyes:

Well Byrd is playing now and EJ is healthy so no more Tuel bashing, Kelsey retired and Brad Smith is on IR, Fitz was cut and Thigpen hasn't been hit by a football in months. Mario has 11 sacks and Manny lawson has been a nice surprise.

Unless Whitner comes back this offseason I think TJ Graham is our new whipping boy

That extra 7th round pick that might have been...

Wait! What about Aaron Williams? Oh, yeah, wait....we like him now! :rolleyes:

Yup...all the talent in the world is no good if you are always injured..it is what really derailed Marcus Easley's carrer. But it is hard not to like what you see when Goodwin is out there. I gotta say, I didn't like the pick when they made it..but there appears to be some potential there.

Edited by Buftex

I am astonished at how every season the collective Id of TSW decides that one person sucks no matter what. It is usually based on a combination of draft position (especially if in TJ's case, there is someone that the Collective wishes had been drafted instead) and focus on bad plays, combined with a willful refusal to notice good ones (TJ did catch a nice bomb from Fitz [of all people!] against Jax last year]. It allows people to claim to be such experts that they can clearly identify one player's faults whether they are actually paying attention to the games or not, and there is usually no way for a player to overcome it.

We should call it the Whitner Effect, though the historian in me thinks it can be traced back to the weirdly specific attacks on Glenn Parker twenty years ago orchestrated by Chuck Dickerson. Parker who was no star but a decent journeyman lineman, who ended up playing well for the Giants afterward.

This is not to say that TJ is faultless, but the relentlessness of the negativity is remarkable. The weekly bashing of Hackett's play-calling is also worth mentioning here. The original impression is maintained and advanced by so many that it becomes immune to reexamination.

Wait! What about Aaron Williams? Oh, yeah, wait....we like him now! :rolleyes:

And if TJ turns it around and starts playing well, we'll flip on him too. Gleefully! There's no vendetta, it's just that this is a mid-to-late round talent drafted (through no fault of his own) in the 3rd round ahead of Russell Wilson and T.Y. Hilton, who has now been sold to us as a playmaker/key contributor by two different coaching staffs, and who continues to disappoint over and over again.

I am astonished at how every season the collective Id of TSW decides that one person sucks no matter what. It is usually based on a combination of draft position (especially if in TJ's case, there is someone that the Collective wishes had been drafted instead) and focus on bad plays, combined with a willful refusal to notice good ones (TJ did catch a nice bomb from Fitz [of all people!] against Jax last year]. It allows people to claim to be such experts that they can clearly identify one player's faults whether they are actually paying attention to the games or not, and there is usually no way for a player to overcome it.

We should call it the Whitner Effect, though the historian in me thinks it can be traced back to the weirdly specific attacks on Glenn Parker twenty years ago orchestrated by Chuck Dickerson. Parker who was no star but a decent journeyman lineman, who ended up playing well for the Giants afterward.

This is not to say that TJ is faultless, but the relentlessness of the negativity is remarkable. The weekly bashing of Hackett's play-calling is also worth mentioning here. The original impression is maintained and advanced by so many that it becomes immune to reexamination.

20 years ago a player was allowed time to develop. Yet here with all the experts we have learned that everything TJ does sucks. Not one bit of promise. He sucked at NC state and he sucks now. He won't ever develop better then an injury prone lightweight WR who has played 3? 4? Games total.

The irony is that everyone loves to quote Bill Walsh and say this or that. But they don't remember he would never play rookies. He would make sure players developed over 3 or 4 years.

TJ cannot get any slack here. TswwbJ graham. Its sad, too. We make so many excuses for other player and we have been wrong so many times.

And if TJ turns it around and starts playing well, we'll flip on him too. Gleefully! There's no vendetta, it's just that this is a mid-to-late round talent drafted (through no fault of his own) in the 3rd round ahead of Russell Wilson and T.Y. Hilton, who has now been sold to us as a playmaker/key contributor by two different coaching staffs, and who continues to disappoint over and over again.

I bet without knowing anything of the draft at least a dozen players taken before TJ are entirely out of the league. That over half of the 3rd rounders taken that year aren't starting. And that 2 may have made the pro bowl. At least, in any other year I'd call that average.

What happened to whinning we didn't take Dalton? Oh right. He sucks now.

Well said, jboyst62 [my quote function is on the fritz]. I think it is at least in part a result of the Internet's ability to produce the illusion of deeper knowledge, combined with a societal lack of patience. I certainly understand that fans want the players on their team to be the best, I know I do. And I also know that focusing dislike on a particular point can be intellectually and psychologically satisfying.

I can't wait for the Bills to turn it around so people can focus on good things. :rolleyes:

How about he sucks so badly I think I'd rather have Donald Jones back? Is that a fair reference point??

Well said, jboyst62 [my quote function is on the fritz]. I think it is at least in part a result of the Internet's ability to produce the illusion of deeper knowledge, combined with a societal lack of patience. I certainly understand that fans want the players on their team to be the best, I know I do. And I also know that focusing dislike on a particular point can be intellectually and psychologically satisfying.

I can't wait for the Bills to turn it around so people can focus on good things. :rolleyes:

They can win 10 in a row, that won't make Graham any better. He's starting on this team, that means win or lose he needs to be a better WR than half a dozen other guys on the roster. What does he show in games to give you that impression?

How about he sucks so badly I think I'd rather have Donald Jones back? Is that a fair reference point??

They can win 10 in a row, that won't make Graham any better. He's starting on this team, that means win or lose he needs to be a better WR than half a dozen other guys on the roster. What does he show in games to give you that impression?

That Donald Jones comment may have gone too far.

Either way they both can't play WR in the NFL.

1st thing a WR needs to do is catch the ball. Graham can't catch. Even a routine through he puts hands all weird and makes it more difficult.

He just doesn't have a natural catching ability.

If he spent 20,000 reps on the Juggs machine it may help. It just always looks awkward.

Edited by Why So Serious?

His route was "slowed" by having to turn to the outside after beating his defender and expecting an inside throw, in which he was correct.

His route did not ever stop, watch it again.

Also, stop making me have to defend TJ, it makes me feel dirty.

I guess I just have higher standards for how well a professional WR should play. IMO, he shouldn't have slowed for a pass that ended up falling 1 yard too deep.