Hey, science people

stevestojan

some of the craziest sh-- I've seen. The story right now:

A girl had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic,

it caused all of the skin on her body to shed...

1 in a million reaction... her body created an antibody against the antibiotic, and it killed a protein that attaches the skin the body... she lost nearly 100% of her skin, and then her corneas, and the linings of her internal organs...

I'm sure she survives, as it's on TV, but man, this story is crazy...

I recently had an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. My skin didn't fall off but it gave me a body rash that covered about 80% of my body and caused severe swelling in my fingers and wrist. The rash itched like a Mother Fugger!! My doctor put me on a steroid treatment and it cleared up in about 2 days. I never want to go through that again.

unreal..

ok, in the previews for this new series, they showed a person who what looked like 3rd degree burns all over, as in that's how far they recovered...

well, this girl, who did lose 100% of her skin (the 1st person EVER to live after losing all of their skin), had a skin graft (sp?) made of silicon and stem cells from neonatal foreskins... .. then, slowly, all of her own skin grew back... she now has baby soft skin all over, perfectly recovered...

un real.

made of silicon and stem cells from neonatal foreskins...

Neonatal FORESKINS????? That's a typo, right?

.. then, slowly, all of her own skin grew back... she now has baby soft skin all over, perfectly recovered...

209441[/snapback]

And when you rub her, she gets twice as tall with REALLY great posture... :)

Neonatal FORESKINS?????  That's a typo, right?

209446[/snapback]

oh good, it's tivo'd... I'll check...

note: yes, it was made of silicon, cologen, and "neonatal foreskins"

Tom, you should really be watching this... seems like something you would find interesting...

holy crap...

this show is amazing... 

Now, a guy with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome...

his joints constantly pop out of place.. when he wakes up, he needs to pop both ankles into place...

209447[/snapback]

Do you do this just to bust balls or do you really watch things on TV, then run to the computer to tell us about it, then run back to the TV, then run back to the computer to tell us about it...

Or do you just keep the computer next to the TV so you can bring us up-to-the-minute reports of what is happening today....

I'm still not sure.

You have a phone, right?

oh good, it's tivo'd... I'll check...

note: yes, it was made of silicon, cologen, and "neonatal foreskins"

Tom, you should really be watching this... seems like something you would find interesting...

209450[/snapback]

On National Geographic they're searching for Genghis Khan's grave, though...when they buried him, the Mongols killed his entire funeral procession, then killed the guys that killed the procession, to keep the grave site a secret. Short version: it worked.

I've got to go to bed anyway...long friggin' day, with a long week ahead of me...

Do you do this just to bust balls or do you really watch things on TV, then run to the computer to tell us about it, then run back to the TV, then run back to the computer to tell us about it...

Or do you just keep the computer next to the TV so you can bring us up-to-the-minute reports of what is happening today....

I'm still not sure.

You have a phone, right?

209455[/snapback]

just thought someone else might be interested in the show.

Sorry LA.

On National Geographic they're searching for Genghis Khan's grave, though...when they buried him, the Mongols killed his entire funeral procession, then killed the guys that killed the procession, to keep the grave site a secret.  Short version: it worked. 

I've got to go to bed anyway...long friggin' day, with a long week ahead of me...

209456[/snapback]

Just reading that made me lose all my skin. :)

unreal..

ok, in the previews for this new series, they showed a person who what looked like 3rd degree burns all over, as in that's how far they recovered...

well, this girl, who did lose 100% of her skin (the 1st person EVER to live after losing all of their skin), had a skin graft (sp?) made of silicon and stem cells from neonatal foreskins...  .. then, slowly, all of her own skin grew back... she now has baby soft skin all over, perfectly recovered...

un real.

209441[/snapback]

neonatal foreskins....

AWESOME BAND NAME, DUDE!

Yes, but was it broadcast in HD???

On a serious note, the reaction to the antibiotic is something really amazing. We've seen it in our hospital once or twice. Very dramatic. It's one of those rare pearls we are always taught to keep in mind.

On National Geographic they're searching for Genghis Khan's grave, though...when they buried him, the Mongols killed his entire funeral procession, then killed the guys that killed the procession, to keep the grave site a secret.  Short version: it worked. 

209456[/snapback]

Doesn't some museum have his mojo in a jar somewhere? I seem to remeber a news tidbit along those lines ?