Terry Mcauliffe Wins Virginia

Tiberius

Christie won't beat Mike Huckabee or Jeb Bush for the Republican nominee if either decide to run.

I don't buy that at all. Once Christie's gastric bypass helps him shed a couple of fourth graders, people like Huckabee or Bush won't stand a chance. He'll get in the face of Richard Trumka, pick Susana Martinez as a running mate, and tell everyone that he's not Barack Obama.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't buy that at all. Once Christie's gastric bypass helps him shed a couple of fourth graders, people like Huckabee or Bush won't stand a chance. He'll get in the face of Richard Trumka, pick Susana Martinez as a running mate, and tell everyone that he's not Barack Obama.

Christie will be very hard to beat. I live in NJ and I don't care what the exit poll said, Hillary won't beat him here. Once women start hearing Hillary's shrill voice again they will run towards the velvet tones of Christie...LOL Seriously though, women do like Christie a lot. He won 57% of the female vote and he was going against a female candidate.

Is he a RHNO? Well duh, but he did have to govern a deep blue state which is right next to the media capital of the world. Depending on how you look at it, he was smart enough to drop the "mean white guy yelling at whiney teacher" youtube act and turned on the charm when it became clear his star was on the rise with the oval office a real possibility.

It will be fascinating for me to hear his solutions for the entire country given his checkered successes and failures as a governor. Because he was so darn good his first two years here, then just kind of coasted the rest of the way until Sandy.

Edited by 1billsfan

in order to become the nominee, Christie must win the party's primary. he has to appeal to enough of the republican base in order for that to happen. I think it will be interesting to see how he tries to sell himself to the hard right of the party. he's shown that he's good at politics by winning two terms as governor of a largely democratic state, and he's the most charismatic potential contender in the republican party right now (his charisma is right up there with the likes of Reagan and Clinton). I'll go on record right now and say that if (and that's a big 'if') Christie can win the republican primary, he will win the presidency.

in order to become the nominee, Christie must win the party's primary. he has to appeal to enough of the republican base in order for that to happen. I think it will be interesting to see how he tries to sell himself to the hard right of the party. he's shown that he's good at politics by winning two terms as governor of a largely democratic state, and he's the most charismatic potential contender in the republican party right now (his charisma is right up there with the likes of Reagan and Clinton). I'll go on record right now and say that if (and that's a big 'if') Christie can win the republican primary, he will win the presidency.

To win the party he will have to say one set of ideals and principles that will be altered once/if he gets the nomination. The GOP will hold him accountable for talking to Obama, for example.

Neglected news from Virginia...................

Primer from a Conservative Winner

Barbara_Comstock.JPG

The most alarming message for Democrats from Tuesday’s election was the near obliteration of Terry McAuliffe’s lead over Ken Cuccinelli. An October poll, conducted a week after the government reopened, had placed him 11 points ahead. On Election Day, Cuccinelli lost by only 2.5 points. McAuliffe’s precipitous tumble was due entirely to Obamacare.

There was bad news for Republicans as well. The government shutdown damaged Cuccinelli, possibly costing him the race. But there were other factors. The money gap (he was outspent three to one), outgoing Republican governor Bob McDonnell’s ethics troubles, and Cuccinelli’s dour mien all made it possible for a gasbag Democratic moneyman, who admitted he didn’t read legislation and would hire someone to handle such trivia, to take Thomas Jefferson’s seat in Richmond.

Yet in the 34th district of Virginia, right outside Washington, D.C., a very conservative delegate was able to run between 8 and 18 points ahead of Cuccinelli and win a district that just a year ago went for Tim Kaine for senator and Barack Obama.

Barbara Comstock is as conservative as any right-winger could desire — pro–free enterprise, pro-life, and pro–second amendment. Her opponent, Kathleen Murphy, a doctrinaire liberal, was supported by the unions, Michael Bloomberg, NARAL, and Planned Parenthood.

If conservatives want to win elections and not just preen about their ideological purity, they should study Comstock.

How can conservatives cope with the “women’s issues” that are handing Democrats huge percentages of the women’s vote? Comstock is not furtive about her opposition to abortion. At a debate the week before the election, she spoke affectionately of her son-in-law’s birthmother and of her “courageous and loving” decision to place him for adoption. She also took a page from Governor Bobby Jindal’s book and endorsed making birth-control pills available over the counter, as the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists recommends.

The GOP will hold him accountable for talking to Obama, for example.

I don't know about that. they had just been hammered by a hurricane, and presidents always fly in to put in some face time and survey the damage in situations like that. it would be a pretty weak argument on their part if the tea party tried to exploit Christie's meeting with Obama. I think it would have been political suicide if he'd refused to meet with the president under those circumstances.

still, you may be right. nothing surprises me anymore in politics.

I don't know about that. they had just been hammered by a hurricane, and presidents always fly in to put in some face time and survey the damage in situations like that. it would be a pretty weak argument on their part if the tea party tried to exploit Christie's meeting with Obama. I think it would have been political suicide if he'd refused to meet with the president under those circumstances.

That's the Tea Party's biggest shortcoming IMO. They can't go the route of us against the world. They will lose most of the time.

I am not endorsing Christie, because I don't know enough about him. But the Tea party has to accept some people like Christie in order to avoid getting stuck with people like Obama.

It's called politics. Can't win the game if you refuse to play.

I can't wait for the GOP primary! That last one with Cain, Bachman and the rest of the nuts was a hoot!

To win the party he will have to say one set of ideals and principles that will be altered once/if he gets the nomination. The GOP will hold him accountable for talking to Obama, for example.

i don't think he does that. i think he maintains his principles. i just hope there are enough practical rebublicans to make it work. pretty much anybody that thought the shutdown was a good thing can be excluded as being practical. does that leave enough R's for him to win? He's certainly likely to have the big money support of the R donors excluding the koch's.

i don't think he does that. i think he maintains his principles. i just hope there are enough practical rebublicans to make it work. pretty much anybody that thought the shutdown was a good thing can be excluded as being practical. does that leave enough R's for him to win? He's certainly likely to have the big money support of the R donors excluding the koch's.

What is your point? The ones against the shut down will vote Republican no matter who is nominated.

The most frustrating part in the GOP is that there are so many that still cling to ancient principles. Too many there rely on the Bible and other hypocritical theories to base their principles. That is not against Republicans - but don't worry, at least 1 retard here will think it is - it is a knock against many religious people.

The biggest damage done to the Republican candidates will be done by their own party in heading up to the nomination. Just like Clinton/Obama in 08 - they'll drag each other deep under mud until one backs down or backs out. In the 2008 election it was clear that Obama was going to win the nomination early on, especially with the Clinton name having so much damage already it made it that much easier. Still, Clinton brought him very far in to the process which showed just how weak Obama was as a candidate. It also let him get better at campaigning, practice, and fix his flaws. In this case the trial by fire in the nomination process improved Obama's position. There is no way you can convince me that Obama and Clinton did not come to an understanding at some point that allowed Clinton to be on staff with Obama and then wait for 2016.

What I am getting at is simple. The GOP candidate will either be toughened through the nomination process or destroyed. If it is Christie it will likely toughen his strength because he has the charismatic personality. However, the hard core main liners that are as anti-Obama as they come will hammer the issue enough to divert attention. They'll attack his values and his decisions and being that Christie has a bit of an open mouth it could be damning if he slips. Again, it's all about the process. If you get three great candidates in there it could be for the better, like the 08 Democrats...but likely, it will be for the worst like the 08 Republicans. Jeb Bush and Christie running would be good for both of them. However, Huckabee would be just like the Godfathers Pizza dude, and then throw the few hard core Christian faith nominations and you'll have your field.

The best ticket would be Christie/Bush. The American populous would be hard pressed to put a Bush in office again, even though he is probably the best of them. But, by 2016 and the time Obama rips this place apart more...maybe they will be that desperate.

The most frustrating part in the GOP is that there are so many that still cling to ancient principles. Too many there rely on the Bible and other hypocritical theories to base their principles. That is not against Republicans - but don't worry, at least 1 retard here will think it is - it is a knock against many religious people.

The biggest damage done to the Republican candidates will be done by their own party in heading up to the nomination. Just like Clinton/Obama in 08 - they'll drag each other deep under mud until one backs down or backs out. In the 2008 election it was clear that Obama was going to win the nomination early on, especially with the Clinton name having so much damage already it made it that much easier. Still, Clinton brought him very far in to the process which showed just how weak Obama was as a candidate. It also let him get better at campaigning, practice, and fix his flaws. In this case the trial by fire in the nomination process improved Obama's position. There is no way you can convince me that Obama and Clinton did not come to an understanding at some point that allowed Clinton to be on staff with Obama and then wait for 2016.

What I am getting at is simple. The GOP candidate will either be toughened through the nomination process or destroyed. If it is Christie it will likely toughen his strength because he has the charismatic personality. However, the hard core main liners that are as anti-Obama as they come will hammer the issue enough to divert attention. They'll attack his values and his decisions and being that Christie has a bit of an open mouth it could be damning if he slips. Again, it's all about the process. If you get three great candidates in there it could be for the better, like the 08 Democrats...but likely, it will be for the worst like the 08 Republicans. Jeb Bush and Christie running would be good for both of them. However, Huckabee would be just like the Godfathers Pizza dude, and then throw the few hard core Christian faith nominations and you'll have your field.

The best ticket would be Christie/Bush. The American populous would be hard pressed to put a Bush in office again, even though he is probably the best of them. But, by 2016 and the time Obama rips this place apart more...maybe they will be that desperate.

True. But the new Pope seems willing to "evolve" on these issues, and that will help others do the same.

And the best ticket would be Christie/Rubio.

In 2008, Hillary was the candidate to beat early on and we'll into the race. Obama was a nobody in the election early on.

True. But the new Pope seems willing to "evolve" on these issues, and that will help others do the same.

And the best ticket would be Christie/Rubio.

I do not know. I try to think very simply when it comes to politics. I have been very busy this past Summer and Fall (imagine that right?). But when I was in VA this past weekend I saw the campaign signs for Cuccinelli. I thought no way. There is no way a guy with that name can win. I did not know anything about the race at that point. I got to my destination and read about the race and thought it would be close - but not a win. http://www.politico.com/2013-election/results/map/#/Governor/2013/VA There is the map there.

I think the same thing about Rubio. A lot will depend on Rubio running for Pres or not. If he doesn't then he is clearly in the wings of a VP candidacy. I do not think Bush would pick Rubio, and Christie wouldn't accept that offer. If Rubio gets the VP nod then I think it could strengthen and weaken the ticket. I forget everything I learned about him in 2008 but he came off so very poorly in my eyes that I was left with a sour taste. Then again, I like Crist at that time. Seemed a more honest and up front type of man then Rubio who was a rockstar Obama like political figure.

Explain to us how a die-hard dead-dog progressive like yourself hopes there are enough practical Republicans to make a Chris Christie presidential election work.

In 2008, Hillary was the candidate to beat early on and we'll into the race. Obama was a nobody in the election early on.

Hilary's own track record and history began dragging her down quickly. Her ability to politic and the group she had pulling the strings was so amazing that they kept her around and they gained her popularity. This popularity got Obama's game to rise sharply by the time of the election...which, at the time, wasn't hard with McCain. He never stood a chance.

What is your point? The ones against the shut down will vote Republican no matter who is nominated.

my point is obviously in regard to the nomination process. that's the danger zone for the party. of course the nonpragmatic R's would vote fro him if he gets nominated. the question is whether there are enough pragmatic R's left to make that happen

Explain to us how a die-hard dead-dog progressive like yourself hopes there are enough practical Republicans to make a Chris Christie presidential election work.

because the entire country does better when are leaders are pragmatists and not ideologues.

Edited by birdog1960

I agree. Jeb would help offset Christie's perceived centrism, but I can't see the voting middle being too thrilled at another Bush in high office.