I like Polian's take on EJ's return

Kellyto83TD

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9925598/ej-manuel-buffalo-bills-rookie-quarterback-cleared-return

Escapeablility. I have preached that for years, QB's shouldn't be running around risking themselfs but its great that they can get out of a pocket and pick up a few yards here and there. I would NEVER run the veer option with my NFL QB. Too much risk, not enough reward. Stand in the pocket and deliver.

If I were Marrone I would tell EJ no more. there would be no more read/Veer option. Just play action or straight hand off.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I wonder how long Can Newton will last until one good hit. Also Culpepper was a very big guy who just wore his body out. I worry about the QB's running so much. Save for the little magic guy - not many make it long as a runner.

That's why I wonder how long Can Newton will last until one good hit. Also Culpepper was a very big guy who just wore his body out. I worry about the QB's running so much. Save for the little magic guy - not many make it long as a runner.

The thing with Newton is his size - he's bigger than Michael Vick and many of the veer/read option type QBs you see in the NCAA. I remember thinking he was a mobile Ben Roethlisberger when I first saw him...basically, he's BR who can run and make guys miss. I think he might last longer than Culpepper if he's smart while he's running, but I just don't know how long a QB's body can take that pounding.

Cam and Dante are about the same size though I would guess their body types were a bit different. Newton is also faster than Dante ever was. Arm strength and accuracy is about the same. Moss made Culpepper though and when he left you saw the immediate impact. Cam is succeeding with a mediocre group outside of Steve Smith and a lack lustrer running game.

1.) Cam Newton is not a run first QB.

2.) Culpeper never was a run first QB.

3.)EJ Manuel is not a run first QB.

4.) EJ Manuel was scrambling when he was injured not running a Read Option play

5.) They just need to teach EJ to baseball slide like Thad and Tuel. Both Thad and Tuel had no problem baseball sliding. EJ really really really needs to learn that skill.

It is a skill, it doesn't come naturally. It must be trained and practiced by EJ Manuel.

http://espn.go.com/n...-cleared-return

Escapeablility. I have preached that for years, QB's shouldn't be running around risking themselfs but its great that they can get out of a pocket and pick up a few yards here and there. I would NEVER run the veer option with my NFL QB. Too much risk, not enough reward. Stand in the pocket and deliver.

If I were Marrone I would tell EJ no more. there would be no more read/Veer option. Just play action or straight hand off.

Yes, moderation. Escaping the pocket, but get the first and get down! These NFL defenders so rarely get a clean shot at a QB and love when they declare themselves a runner as they are fair game except for the slide. I mean, when in the pocket they've got to think about the Brady rule, but can't hit high,etc. Not like the old days where Jimbo would get absolutely rocked , yet set his feet and deliver. Even Russel Wilson, who is the best I've seen at escaping but avoiding the big hit, go pummeled by the Rams D last MNF.

cam newton's career is just getting started. he's going to be a very good player for a very long time.

EJ is an injury prone QB. He's played 6 games counting preseason & has sustained 2 separate knee injuries. He gets hurt 33% of the time.

In college EJ was destroyed his RS senior year at Florida. Jameis Winston is proving what a real QB can do as a RS freshman. It makes me so angry we wasted a draft pick on this garbage.

EJ is an injury prone QB. He's played 6 games counting preseason & has sustained 2 separate knee injuries. He gets hurt 33% of the time.

In college EJ was destroyed his RS senior year at Florida. Jameis Winston is proving what a real QB can do as a RS freshman. It makes me so angry we wasted a draft pick on this garbage.

Many QB's have been injured early in their careers. It was hardly a catastrophic injury. Rosters also change in college football much faster than the NFL. Can't really compare Winston, it's a different team. Anyway the book is far from written on a QB after 5 games. We won't know for sure on EJM for a few seasons, probably.

Many QB's have been injured early in their careers. It was hardly a catastrophic injury. Rosters also change in college football much faster than the NFL. Can't really compare Winston, it's a different team. Anyway the book is far from written on a QB after 5 games. We won't know for sure on EJM for a few seasons, probably.

Problem is EJ has been around 9 games. Don't think for a minute Marrone & Whaley are pleased with his brittleness. They want & need a guy who doesn't go down every 3 games. Manuel is INJURY PRONE. Not all humans are built to take the pounding an NFL QB must endure. Manuel will get hurt more often than a starter should. His development will be hindered. He's a great backup but has proven he can't be a reliable starter.

Not having Randy Moss to throw to anymore is what ruined Culpepper's career.

Yeah, plus he got fat and slow toward the end there. I remember Bills D sacking him a bunch of times @Mia one year. Was so slow even Ryan Denney sacked him. I think they said he had the slowest dropback/release time in the NFL next to Leftwich at that point.

Sounds like he's prepared like an average QB then.

Problem is EJ has been around 9 games. Don't think for a minute Marrone & Whaley are pleased with his brittleness. They want & need a guy who doesn't go down every 3 games. Manuel is INJURY PRONE. Not all humans are built to take the pounding an NFL QB must endure. Manuel will get hurt more often than a starter should. His development will be hindered. He's a great backup but has proven he can't be a reliable starter.

The guy is like 235 pounds and 6'5 ". He's hardly brittle and wasn't exactly hurt on a routine hit. The guy dove at his knees and foot caught in the turf. I doubt the Bills staff is as reactionary as yourself. We've seen QB's go down for the year on lesser hits the past few weeks. In that VERY GAME, even. Alonso pulled up, hit the CLE QB in the shoulders and the guy blew out his knee! Be serious.

Injury prone? So the fact the guy drove his head at his legs is something you would walk away from I'm guessing?

a little premature here, don't you think?