ot - any one have a cat that chases --

mead107

There should be creams and such that have foul tastes to cats. Put one of those creams on its tail and that might get your cat to stop.

209277[/snapback]

Probably not...and even if it does help, it just masks the underlying behavioral problem without solving anything.

How old a cat, mead? Kitten, or older? Is this a new behavioral development, or has it been going on for a while? What kind of personality does the cat have normally - high-strung, calm, playful, lazy, etc. That kind of behavior is almost always a reaction to external stress...anything changed in your life, or the cat's recently?

Put  rubbing alcohol on the cats tail.

209313[/snapback]

like tom said, that would just be stopping them from "scratching the itch"..

I mean, it would be like your kid having chicken pox and slapping them every time they itch... yes, they'll stop itching, but you're not helping the problem...

:)

like tom said, that would just be stopping them from "scratching the itch"..

I mean, it would be like your kid having chicken pox and slapping them every time they itch... yes, they'll stop itching, but you're not helping the problem...

209317[/snapback]

But if it's purely behavioral and not caused by any physical illnesses, then DC Tom could be wrong. Assuming mead can't pinpoint any obvious stressors for his cat, the cream/rubbing alcohol solution could be the best.

Don't forget, you can't have a sit-down with your cat and talk out his/her problems.

then DC Tom could be wrong.

209324[/snapback]

:):w00t::w00t: That's funny... :w00t:

Seriously...the thing about cats is, if they have some sort of psychological issue, it's usually relatively easy to identify if you know how they think; and it's usually much easier long-term to solve the real issue than mask the resulting behavior.

But in this case...not nearly enough information to go on. Hell, from all he said it could be anything from play to a brain tumor...

But if it's purely behavioral and not caused by any physical illnesses, then DC Tom could be wrong. Assuming mead can't pinpoint any obvious stressors for his cat, the cream/rubbing alcohol solution could be the best.

Don't forget, you can't have a sit-down with your cat and talk out his/her problems.

209324[/snapback]

Agreed! Chasing their tail is a very popular game that most cats and dogs like to do. I've never seen a cat or dog that didn't go through that stage at one point.

Assuming the cat doesn't have any fleas, i'd check the tail for tick and mosquito bites, rashes, or loss of fur. If there are no signs, then use rubbing alchohol. The smell and bitter taste will turn the cat's curiousity off towards the tail. There's also this spray called Bitter Apple that you can pick up at any pet store that works really well.

Agreed! Chasing their tail is a very popular game that most cats and dogs like to do. I've never seen a cat or dog that didn't go through that stage at one point.

Assuming the cat doesn't have any fleas, i'd check the tail for tick and mosquito bites, rashes, or loss of fur. If there are no signs, then use rubbing alchohol. The smell and bitter taste will turn the cat's curiousity off towards the tail. There's also this spray called Bitter Apple that you can pick up at any pet store that works really well.

209359[/snapback]

Tail chasing is common. Each of my little idiots (save the Manx, which is tailless) did it at some point. But pulling out fur, as mead said, is something else.

And like I also said...not enough information...

.if it was with the cat...

He was never really clear on that.

As one who ascribes to the belief that random co-incidence is an oxymoron, I find it.....ahem...... interesting that he started those two threads within about 25mins of each other. :)

He was never really clear on that.

As one who ascribes to the belief that random co-incidence is an oxymoron, I find it.....ahem...... interesting that he started those two threads within about 25mins of each other.  :w00t:

209388[/snapback]

Starts a thread about sex...then another one complaining about his little kitty chasing tail...I sense a certain disturbing convergence... :)

Starts a thread about sex...then another one complaining about his little kitty chasing tail...I sense a certain disturbing convergence...

Thank gawd he didn't say anything about hand cream......