Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins-leaves-team-bullying-taunting-teammates-103113

reports of constant bullying since he joined the team and that after a year and a half with no help from coaches or vets he simply said enough was enough and went home. Coupled with his earlier statements it sounds a bit more calculated after attempting to find alternatives as opposed to a random outburst - atleast coming from his corner.

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but it would be tough to prove

I don't know about that. From what I've read, it seems a lot of harassment was documented on Hard Knocks. Martin may not have evidence for all his claims (if something does happen), but the video is enough for a preponderance of evidence in his favor.

I don't know about that. From what I've read, it seems a lot of harassment was documented on Hard Knocks. Martin may not have evidence for all his claims (if something does happen), but the video is enough for a preponderance of evidence in his favor.

Not saying it would be hard or easy to prove, but besides the Hard Knocks video which aired, there is probably lots of video that was edited out that might also be considered evidence.

Taylor Mays, based on this year's Hard Knocks, will have his attorneys keeping a close watch on this one.

http://www.cincyjung...tting-ripped-by

http://www.cbssports...ode-three-recap

(scroll down to the ninja turtle pic. And to the description of how, in every single episode, Mays goes on and on and on and on about how much he loves his girlfriend. Methinks thou dost protest too much).

-----

http://www.grantland...ke-center-stage

"then came wide receiver Roy Roundtree and his RUTHLESS Taylor Mays impression, and it put the entire thing over the top. We don't have video, but he kind of made Mays look like an androgynous, overzealous exercise instructor, and he clearly nailed it because the room went insane. Long live the Rookie Talent Show."

(if you havent seen it, the rookies showed a video of them imitating Taylor Mays going through drills. Prancing like a little ballerina. Everyone was laughing hard. Except Mays, of course.)

Edited by maddenboy

I dont understand how the conclusion has been reached he has gone mental

Yeah, me either.

It sounds like he was bullied for a year and a half and finally had enough. There are only so much a person can take and only many options for someone in his position who can't get any help from the powers that be. He could have taken a gun in and blown some people away or smashed some heads but he chose to walk away. The funniest part is that his reaction is being termed "childish" by some. It's not good PR but it sounds like the mature reaction to me. It's not like he was going to reason with the idiots who were doing this to him.

Of course, it's not going to play well with his teammates when he returns - for them he would have been better off smashing some faces. I'm sure his teammates realized he wasn't that type of guy though, which is why they persisted.

I doubt anyone that filed a suit would get another job in the NFL, so it better be worth it.

Reading some of the Martin articles and if true, it seems to me that it doesn't get much more hostile than a room full of adults picking on a guy with emotional issues, and apparently having little to no repercussions coming from the FO, coaches or veterans. If the Bills coaches and veterans let something like this go on and on to the point where the guy actually has a breakdown in front of everybody, then I couldn't be a fan of them any longer until they got rid of those responsible including the head coach. I feel bad for Martin and he will need to either retire or find a class organization that knows how to "handle" locker room bullies. This doesn't seem like the normal hazing stuff. Branding someone with the nickname "Big Weirdo" isn't "good natured" ribbing to me.

From what I've heard, he sucks.

It really might be as simple as him sucking, not being well liked by his teammates, making 1st round money, and getting abused because he isn't respected. Does anyone think Aaron Maybin might have had a tough time while here?

Reading some of the Martin articles and if true, it seems to me that it doesn't get much more hostile than a room full of adults picking on a guy with emotional issues, and apparently having little to no repercussions coming from the FO, coaches or veterans. If the Bills coaches and veterans let something like this go on and on to the point where the guy actually has a breakdown in front of everybody, then I couldn't be a fan of them any longer until they got rid of those responsible including the head coach. I feel bad for Martin and he will need to either retire or find a class organization that knows how to "handle" locker room bullies. This doesn't seem like the normal hazing stuff. Branding someone with the nickname "Big Weirdo" isn't "good natured" ribbing to me.

No one here knows enough about this specific situation to make any kind of judgement. People seem to be projecting their own circumstances into this situation.

My point about it needing to be worth it, isn't casting judgement on anyone, just pointing out that the person probably won't get another job. Do you think I'm wrong about that?

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

From what I've heard, he sucks.

It really might be as simple as him sucking, not being well liked by his teammates, making 1st round money, and getting abused because he isn't respected. Does anyone think Aaron Maybin might have had a tough time while here?

No one here knows enough about this specific situation to make any kind of judgement. People seem to be projecting their own circumstances into this situation.

My point about it needing to be worth it, isn't casting judgement on anyone, just pointing out that the person probably won't get another job. Do you think I'm wrong about that?

That's why I put in the words "if true". Given how there seems to be a teen suicide every week due to bullying, I'd be surprised if the national NFL media weren't about to give the Miami Dolphins a heck of a public enema over this. We all know that there's good natured hazing that they all go through, but when does that cross over to meanness and cruelty? This may be a case of that happening.

The offensive line play in this league is horrible. The worst I've ever seen. If Martin's only a solid backup he will get another job with an NFL team. SF, Indy, Pats, Broncos are all teams that seem more interested in winning games than allowing a situation like this.

Edited by 1billsfan

What are the odds that someone suffers from a mental disorder? Its no different in the NFL. Mental health needs to be addressed in this country. We wear pink for a cause that is very important but as much of a commercial fabrication as Christmas or Holloween.

Instead it will be 10 years from now when something similar happens to the guy at a grocery store and police are called. He will end up tazed or shot and then will we still look at concusions as the cause?

The focus on concussions has some missing pieces, to be sure. For example, as far as I know there has not been a comprehensive survey of football players, retired and current, to determine how many are suffering symptoms that might be a sign of physical brain deterioration. Finding signs of CTE in all but one of the football player's brains studied to date means little when all the brains come from ex-players who are suffering mental problems.

On the other hand, from the studies that have been done, Martin (and other current players) may be suffering from effects of physical trauma to the brain which manifest themselves as mental illness. The BU center for traumatic encephalopathy has a case study of an 18 yr old high school football player and a college football player who both showed signs of CTE. There's so much we don't know - are some people uniquely susceptible? Are there subtle differences in playing style that cause more injury?

And of course I could go on for a while about mental health in this country. We have gone from a society where almost anyone could be locked away in state mental hospitals for sometimes tenuous cause and the burden of proof was overwhelmingly on them to prove sanity whilst living in circumstances liable to render sane people nuts - to a society where mental health services are so under-resourced that they are difficult to find, even for people with good health insurance. There's a heartbreaking shooting case in this state where the teen's parents knew he was a danger to himself, mortgaged themselves to the hilt to obtain services for him, then literally spent hours on the phone trying to find mental health treatment to no avail.

You all realize that he makes a living trying to knock the daylights out of 300lb dudes, right?

If he cannot take lockerroom ribbing, after being in the sport for most of his life, then he's definitely in the wrong profession. Anyone find it odd that he had a breakdown a week after Dolphins traded for McKinney?

Since we have no idea what has been going on in the Dolphins locker room or with Martin, I for one will reserve judgement.

That's why I put in the words "if true". Given how there seems to be a teen suicide every week due to bullying, I'd be surprised if the national NFL media weren't about to give the Miami Dolphins a heck of a public enema over this. We all know that there's good natured hazing that they all go through, but when does that cross over to meanness and cruelty? This may be a case of that happening.

The offensive line play in this league is horrible. The worst I've ever seen. If Martin's only a solid backup he will get another job with an NFL team. SF, Indy, Pats, Broncos are all teams that seem more interested in winning games than allowing a situation like this.

I'm certainly not an endorser of bullying, I just can't imagine that the NFL isn't filled to the brim with guys using every method of intimidation available to them. The competitiveness within a locker room is surely off the charts of normal behavior.

The bullying jock became a cliche for a reason.

He really isn't very good...

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

You are trying to rationalize this. It is not a rational illness in any way shape or form. There are not always early signs and if they are they are often attributed to "being a teenager". I was a happy kid with lots of friends that was a good athlete and went on tons of vacations. I had my own car, a girlfriend and then one day I woke up and my entire world had changed. All of sudden, I couldn't keep friends, my grades started to suck, and my days got darker and darker.

HIndsight, I'm very glad you survived and recovered. One of the scariest things to me about being a parent of a teen is "how do you tell what's normal or when to seek help?" - it's "normal" for teenagers to be sensitive and have mood swings, even trained medical professionals can't always tell where "normal" stops and "illness" starts. It's also normal for kids (especially girls) to "people please" and hide behind a glad face to parents and teachers if they want to be left alone. My former boss lost his teenage son to suicide. Similar to what you describe, happy kid, lots of friends, good grades, good athlete - grades started to slip, parents "got tough", downward spiral. His parents will never recover from that loss. Then there's the question, if you do need help, can your parents afford it? I know someone whose son battled severe depression after his mom passed from years of struggle with cancer. Outpatient treatment and meds did nothing for him. His dad found an inpatient program, he made significant progress, insurance refused to pay for the effective treatment. Fortunately for the kid, his dad is a scrapper and fought the insurance company while taking out loans and developing a source of additional income. What about the kids of parents who aren't savvy enough to fight effectively and don't have the credit rating for loans or potential for extra income?

Raising kids is scary. If only it came with a lighted path like that investment services commercial that could tell the parents "here are the obvious early signs" and "here is the best thing to do". If you have a kid who loves a sport and feels passionate about playing it, do you pull the plug because you think they might be depressed and that sport would be bad for them? Or do you support their interest and feel happy they have something positive to focus on? It's not so easy.

Edited by Hopeful

Jumping back in this..

Dolphins Management does not seem to be building a solid franchise.

I would like to compare them to the Bills for a minute .

Recalling Pettines early comments about , loosely " Kill them " and his comment , " dont help them up after knocking them down " to the defense. Some folks here were pleased to get some NASTY going as compared to drafting signing good citizens.

Bills are still teaching good manners and good examples on and off the field .Think Nigel Bradham for a minute.

I thinks Bills team has shown very well what Team means. all the players and coaches pulling in the same direction. Together.

if you read up on these quotes by our players it always goes back to stuff like "we need to help the defense " " we need to help the offense " we need to help the players" we need to execute the coaches play calls.

Thats a team. And to my point the Dolphins are not. By my definition.

Thats why i remain a Bills fan. Bills are some of the best at playing football for all the right reasons. I am proud of that.

By the way , i have yet to see a Bills defensive player or ST guy extend a hand during the game.

Go Bills.

Pick up Martin somehow. Marrone could motivate that boy

Edited by 3rdand12

From NFL.com

UPDATE: Dolphins guard Richie Incognito told Darlington that he heard back from Martin on Friday after he'd reached out to him to see how Martin was doing.

In middle of a conversation that lasted 19 texts, Martin wrote the following to Incognito: "Yeah, I'm good man. It's insane bro, but just know I don't blame you guys at all. It's just the culture around football, and the locker room got to me a little."