What to do with TJ Graham?

He has not played well since he has been drafted. He can't seem to create space on screen passes. Doesn't run great routes or have great hands on the short or intermediate stuff. Today he couldn't make a leaping catch on the long ball. It's not even about the fumble today. He just isn't that good.

Do you try him on punt returns and leave Leodis to playing CB?

Even calling him a poor mans Roscoe Parrish is an insult to Roscoe.

If they cut Nelson this off season you have to think Graham is on the outs as well. He is a non factor in the offense.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been hot and cold. He'll make a few plays and then he'll have a bad drop (or a fumble in this case). He showed good hustle trying to get to Smith on that pick 6, but obviously for nought.

I don't know that we'll find someone truly better to replace him at this point; we should just move him down the depth chart. Goodwin is the man for go routes. Easley and Hogan deserve a legitimate chance at a spot in the regular rotation. I know Easley goofed on his chance today, but they haven't been given enough chances to prove their worth since preseason.

He was never a top WR coming in to the league. I am unsure why people expected so much from him. He was a raw athlete with speed and heart. At the time many here were excited with the idea that he was so fast. He was a moderate risk / high reward player. He still is; there was a time in this league where players were given 2 to 3 years to develop.

There was nothing that any WR could have done to make that "leaping catch" today. The only thing that could have changed was running the route 3 or 4 more yards inside of the line. However, the CB had great coverage on him and shut that option down.

If Graham is not on this team in 2013 I will be surprised but not shocked. He is a team contributor, plays with heart but has had his problems like anyone else. There were numerous other drops and stupid blunders today, too. McKelvin's not falling on it, Chandlers numbers drops...etc.

I am sure I will get accused of being a fanboy of Graham, especially as of recent as he has now become the whipping boy of this site. He replaces Brad Smith who replaced Chris Kelsay.

And, while we're at it on the speed debate - I do realize Goodwin is fast, too. Him being referred to as having Olympic speed... which is not true. He was an Olympic long jumper. His 10.38 100 yard dash time in high school is impressive, though.

Because we traded up to get him?

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: We did? I didn't realize that? You sure? Edited by jboyst62

I'd say what we do is play him in packages just like we are now, and if we add talent in the offseason that surpasses him - great (would be awesome to add the best TE or WR in the draft and bump everyone down a slot in what we need from them). He and Goodwin can easily coexist and have roles this year though.

Hogan clearly isn't that type of player. Easley, we just don't know as fans.

I never understood drafting a small, fast guy so high. The Bills need a big, mean guy like Eric Moulds. These small, fast guys are one trick ponies, and it just isn't worth having them on the team for such a limited perceived ability.

It's a wonder why we drafted another guy like Graham in the 3rd this year too. But we've seen why they are valuable. You can't teach speed. Goodwin is a threat to score every time he's out there, just like CJ. You need those guys. Josh Gordon, Kenny Stills, etc. Have all shown why this type of player is valuable. Unfortunately those big mean guys are much harder to come by and if they don't have the hands and route running ability like Megatron or Dez, they aren't nearly as useful.

We traded down. Not up.

We were being sarcastic.

A combination of Tuel and the entire receiving corps lost this game they were awful except for our speed guy. Scott Chandler had critical drops. Graham had the obvious fumble for -6 . Johnson didn't do enough Easley blew his chance with a horrific drop. Woods had chances to make great plays but fell short. It's a shame because the game plan was solid on offense and defense. Spiller and Jackson were terrific in spite of injuries. The offensive line was outstanding and the Defense didn't give up a TD. The bad news is that we are falling behind the AFC East in spite of some great efforts. I think Tuel has the potential to make a living in this league his arm needs to get stronger. Tuel might want to go to the Canadian league for a couple of years and then come back down. Pro football needs a minor league for a guy like Tuel.

We traded down. Not up.

I was referring more to drafting a guy in a position no other team valued him at. Again, a player is never defined by where he is drafted, but when the essence of a pick is that we outsmarted the rest of the NFL, trepidation follows in my mind.

I've heard not one word about a lack of effort or need for a message to be sent.

"Lack of effort" is not the only reason players get benched.

I'm just saying that is a hypothetical possibility based on player production more than anything else. Marrones "next man up" mentality.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever