e.j. unlikely before the bye

KikO M G

for selfish reasons i am really hoping that he is back for the jets game, bought tickets for my stepson, myself and a friend of mine. and the game just happens to be on the boy's birthday. my friend's birthday is a couple days before. and for karmic purposes i would like to see ej out there against the jets for a shot at some payback and to get a game in to kick off some rust before the bye.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know if we have a promising young qb. We hope we do, but we have not seen enough to know. Unless you prefer that the Bills wait 2-3 seasons to figure that out??? There are other examples too, just depends on how you define young. SF acquired Steve Young when Montana was in his prime. How did that work? GB chose Rogers when Farve had plenty in the tank. Mallett to the pats*

I prefer we dig out of this lower mediocrity level we've been in for the past decade. A QB, THE QB, will be what brings the team out. That could be Manuel...or it could not be him. We don't know.

We spent a first on him - of we don't think he's a promising qb then something has gone terribly wrong in our draft strategy.

EJ has proven two things so far; he is injury prone & can't consistently hit the deep ball.

Hardly enough of a body of work here for "proof". One big hit to the knee that could very well have been catastrophic but wasn't. EJ has hit deep throws, but it isn't all on the QB. For example, the fastest Bill, Goodwin missed all but 1 and 1/2 quarters of EJ's games. Graham ran poor routes vs Jets, and EJ had little protection. He hit several nice deep throws to Woods and SJ. But 4.5 games is not enough of a book on EJ to say what he cannot do.

We spent a first on him - of we don't think he's a promising qb then something has gone terribly wrong in our draft strategy.

OK, I'll mark you down as "wait 3-4 years."

Do read what I've written though. If you have the ability to get the QB you believe in you go get him.

Do read what I've written though. If you have the ability to get the QB you believe in you go get him.

I agree 100% with your thought process --- a franchise QB is by far the most impactful position in the NFL and you could argue any position in any team sport --- the only thing I can think of that comes close is a dominant center in the old NBA --- I wished for one thing this season regarding Manuel --- obviously I wanted him to be "the guy" -- but as important, I wanted the Bills to know one way or another --- right now, I don't know --- I've seen good and I've seen bad --- not enough of either to say for sure --- I believe the Bills will error on the side that they've seen enough good to stick with EJ --- my issue, is that the Bills selected their franchise QB in a WEAK QB draft --- the 2014 draft will be a STRONG QB draft --- even if Bills pick in the 10-15 range, their will be QB's with higher grades coming out than EJ --- again, I want EJ to succeed and be the guy --- hopefully he'll prove that the last 5 --- or last 7 depending on the truth to the rumor

I think the Bills got the QB they (still) believe in. It doesn't matter what "YOU" have the ability to go get. What the Bills are going to do is probably quite different.

I think the Bills got the QB they (still) believe in. It doesn't matter what "YOU" have the ability to go get. What the Bills are going to do is probably quite different.

And YOU are opposed to two good young QBs? You too aren't reading what I've written. I didn't say draft a first or second or third round QB. I said if there is one there and you believe in his ability then go get him. What are you disagreeing with?

Hardly enough of a body of work here for "proof". One big hit to the knee that could very well have been catastrophic but wasn't. EJ has hit deep throws, but it isn't all on the QB. For example, the fastest Bill, Goodwin missed all but 1 and 1/2 quarters of EJ's games. Graham ran poor routes vs Jets, and EJ had little protection. He hit several nice deep throws to Woods and SJ. But 4.5 games is not enough of a book on EJ to say what he cannot do.

Thank you, I just don't understand labeling Manual in any way after four and a half games.

And YOU are opposed to two good young QBs? You too aren't reading what I've written. I didn't say draft a first or second or third round QB. I said if there is one there and you believe in his ability then go get him. What are you disagreeing with?

I would prefer adding a seasoned vet. Essentially having two first round rookies struggling to get reps and experience actually could be counterproductive to either of them developing. Remember how we spent all that time about tuel not getting the reps as a backup to a rookie qb?

I agree 100% with your thought process --- a franchise QB is by far the most impactful position in the NFL and you could argue any position in any team sport --- the only thing I can think of that comes close is a dominant center in the old NBA --- I wished for one thing this season regarding Manuel --- obviously I wanted him to be "the guy" -- but as important, I wanted the Bills to know one way or another --- right now, I don't know --- I've seen good and I've seen bad --- not enough of either to say for sure --- I believe the Bills will error on the side that they've seen enough good to stick with EJ --- my issue, is that the Bills selected their franchise QB in a WEAK QB draft --- the 2014 draft will be a STRONG QB draft --- even if Bills pick in the 10-15 range, their will be QB's with higher grades coming out than EJ --- again, I want EJ to succeed and be the guy --- hopefully he'll prove that the last 5 --- or last 7 depending on the truth to the rumor

2012 was considered a "strong" QB draft beacuse of the rare Andrew Luck and RGIII combination. The next two "highly graded" QB's were Brandon Weeden and Ryan Tannehill that had all of one starting season. The grade on the second two is incomplete at BEST. Look, the point is 2013 lacked the star power of a Luck (a once in 20 years type guy) and RGIII that came on late. Most years don't have those guys. I give the Bills credit for having conviction and getting their guy. We'll see ho it turns out. A fair criticism is that they passed on so many others that were available to them in previous years, and were not high or even 1st round picks. They were late to the party, and that was a lack of foresight, guts on their part. The EJ Manuel story is still in its early stages, partially due to injury. They will probably stay the course as their is no Luck type available in the 2014 draft. You'd have to believe they would take that guy if he were there, but unless they end up with a top 3 pick, don't look for a QB selection in round one,2014.

I agree with a selection of a QB at some point as I don't see a solid backup on the roster. Folks who ARE talking about a round one QB in 2014 are kidding themselves. This just isn't done in the NFL. Not saying I agree or don't, it just isn't done, and the Bills don't have a track record of being trend setters.

I'm confused.

How is it Fred Jackson, a runningback can play the next week on an MCL Sprain, yet EJ is out for 6 weeks with one?

Is this kid made of glass?

First off, EJ has a lateral collateral ligament sprain, not an MCL sprain.

Second off, the general orthopedic viewpoint is that the LCL heals more slowly so for equivalent severity, an LCL sprainwill progress more slowly than an MCL sprain

Third off, not all sprains are equivalent. Some are minimal with stretching of the ligament but little to no tearing, with type i being mild and type II and type III involving more tearing.

So you really can't look at two different reported "knee sprains" and say "this guy is tough and this kid is made of glass". Sprain is a catch-all term for a spectrum of severiyt.

I suspect there's more than we're being told, perhaps his other knee was re-injured as well or was bothering him more than was publicized and they just decided to take all the time they needed and get them both healed up. But that's just a suspicion

I personally think it's of utmost importance to the Bills to get a fair chance to evaluate an unhindered EJ at the end of the season so they can decide whether/which draft pick to spend on a QB in 2014.

So I'd rather have them bring him back slowly; what would be the point to rush him back?

If there is a top QB there with the Bills first round pick and EJ has shown next to nothing in progress, Bills would be stupid not to take him. Whats the downside? EJ's confidence? Please, its the NFL and these guys are adults.

It comes down to if the BILLS think EJ has shown "next to nothing" in terms of progress. I don't believe THEY think that. It doesn't matter what fans think. Put me on record as saying short of a catastrophic injury or EJ Manuel looks like Jeff Tuel the rest of his games this year, the BILLS will NOT draft a first round QB in 2014. Hardly earth shattering news.

We don't know if we have a promising young qb. We hope we do, but we have not seen enough to know. Unless you prefer that the Bills wait 2-3 seasons to figure that out??? There are other examples too, just depends on how you define young. SF acquired Steve Young when Montana was in his prime. How did that work? GB chose Rogers when Farve had plenty in the tank. Mallett to the pats*

I prefer we dig out of this lower mediocrity level we've been in for the past decade. A QB, THE QB, will be what brings the team out. That could be Manuel...or it could not be him. We don't know.

I'm not disagreeing with you nor am I judging EJ one way or another.

I'm just saying that the likelihood of the Bills spending a high draft pick on a QB this coming April (even though this is a historically rich QB draft) is very remote.

I've actually always advocated doubling up on QBs when given the opportunity. If EJ is truly a great prospect he will NOT suffer from additional competition but rather, the cream will rise to the top.

To be more clear, I'd have zero problems if the Bills drafted one of the half-dozen or so QBs who look like sure first rounders BUT I think it's highly unlikely that they do so.

Which is precisely what I haven't done. You can't label him in any way. Too many unknowns.

By taking him in the first the bills labeled him as a guy they were comfortable going "all in" with. Sure he hasn't proven that right or wrong but a strong statement about our beliefs in his ability was made the moment he was selected. Until he proves that wrong, I expect the bills to operate under the assumption he is that guy. Add a vet (like a fitz kolb or tjax) next year and lets see what we have. Short of a prospect like luck looking at them I can't imagine the bills would disagree.

In the late rounds, a guy to replace tuel, maaaaybe if it's a good value pick

I'm not disagreeing with you nor am I judging EJ one way or another.

I'm just saying that the likelihood of the Bills spending a high draft pick on a QB this coming April (even though this is a historically rich QB draft) is very remote.

I've actually always advocated doubling up on QBs when given the opportunity. If EJ is truly a great prospect he will NOT suffer from additional competition but rather, the cream will rise to the top.

To be more clear, I'd have zero problems if the Bills drafted one of the half-dozen or so QBs who look like sure first rounders BUT I think it's highly unlikely that they do so.

Additionally, I imagine ej will benefit far more from a top TE, WR or lineman than a qb competition

Edited by NoSaint