e.j. unlikely before the bye

KikO M G

Additionally, I imagine ej will benefit far more from a top TE, WR or lineman than a qb competition

If I'm the Bills GM and I have any doubts about EJ becoming a franchise QB, I'm drafting another QB in this ridiculously QB rich draft.

For one thing one has to consider the fact that this is a historically rich QB draft which means you have to view the situation in a historical context.

Secondly you've had numerous situations with young QBs surrounded with good talent (like Ponder with Peterson, Simpson, Harvin, Rudolph or Gabbert with Blackmon, Shorts, Jones-Drew, Marcedes Lewis) where the weapons were meaningless because the QB simply couldn't perform.

IMO, you invest in QB until YOU KNOW you have it right. Then you get the other pieces.

I realize that there are numerous ways to build a team but I believe that the QB has to be the first ESTABLISHED piece.

I was his biggest advocate here before the draft but the fact remains that EJ is not established.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm the Bills GM and I have any doubts about EJ becoming a franchise QB, I'm drafting another QB in this ridiculously QB rich draft.

For one thing one has to consider the fact that this is a historically rich QB draft which means you have to view the situation in a historical context.

Secondly you've had numerous situations with young QBs surrounded with good talent (like Ponder with Peterson, Simpson, Harvin, Rudolph or Gabbert with Blackmon, Shorts, Jones-Drew, Marcedes Lewis) where the weapons were meaningless because the QB simply couldn't perform.

IMO, you invest in QB until YOU KNOW you have it right. Then you get the other pieces.

I realize that there are numerous ways to build a team but I believe that the QB has to be the first ESTABLISHED piece.

I was his biggest advocate here before the draft but the fact remains that EJ is not established.

And our GM is all in on ej, and unlike some of those guys that showed terribly (and still got chances) I don't think ej has shown anything to make them second guess themselves, even if he hasn't proven them right yet either.

I think too many are looking only at September 2013 in assessing ej and the front office will be looking bigger picture than that. Posters might not have tied themselves to ej, but Whaley has and has done so with a large sample of work. I don't think that's changed.

Edited by NoSaint

You have to take into account that this might be the deepest QB draft EVER --- I know it's early, but you might have 5 or 6 legitimate 1st round talents --- watch, you will see teams taking QB's in 1st round that have an established starter --- the only upside for Bills, assuming they don't draft another QB, you will see quality position players drop ----

And our GM is all in on ej, and unlike some of those guys that showed terribly (and still got chances) I don't think ej has shown anything to make them second guess themselves, even if he hasn't proven them right yet either.

I think too many are looking only at September 2013 in assessing ej and the front office will be looking bigger picture than that. Posters might not have tied themselves to ej, but Whaley has and has done so with a large sample of work. I don't think that's changed.

As I've already pointed out with examples, it's rare to draft a 1st round QB two years in a row.

That said we have zero way of knowing what EJ's standing will be in the eyes of Whaley/Marrone at seasons end.

I respect your opinion. There are a number of posters whose opinions are worthless. You are not one of them. Four and a half games tells us nothing about EJ Manual other than he is a rookie, being coached by a rookie HC with a rookie OC with a two and four reviver that are rookies.

I know there is no way Bills with draft another QB in 1st or 2nd round --- they might look for another project in 3rd or later depending on their feelings on Tuel, Lewis Flynn and Kolb --- what I am saying, if Bills had a true franchise QB, they'd be 7-2 or 8-1 right now -- it is that important to success of NFL team --- this defense is close to being very good -- we have very good RB's and an adequate O-line --- we need a franchise QB --- is EJ the guy, the honest answer is "I DON'T KNOW" --- if that's the honest answer after he plays another 5 or 6 games this year, I would draft another QB in 1st round ---- it's that important --- we should keep drafting them until we get one --- it's that important ---- did I mention it's important enough for everyone to understand ??? --- Look around --- look at the consensus top NFL teams over the past decade, the correlation between very good QB and winning / playoff records is very high --- all together "IT'S THAT IMPORTANT !!!" --- I hope everyday that EJ is that guy --- but if we aren't sure after this year --- draft a QB

Drfat Winsoton of FSU, kid looks better than EJ ever did to me..

I posted in another thread today. I live in Florida. Yesterday I was with a number of FSU Alumni, one of whom was a knowledgeable football fan. When I asked about Manuel vs Winston. He said EJ was in a program at FSU that was in a rebuilding faze, he never had the supporting cast that Winston has. Winston, according to him has a much better o line than EJ ever had, his receivers are much better and all three FSU running backs could play in the NFL. He agreed with the premiss that the FSU offense is more complicated than people think and that some of the things EJ was blamed for were because his receivers were young and inexperienced.