Jags WR Justin Blackmon Suspended Indefinitely

i struggle with an addiction myself. and i called him an idiot. i'd call myself an idiot if i let my addiction cost me my career, and millions of dollars. i've let it affect my professional career, and consider myself an idiot. are we square?

Sure. Why not. Was it in his best interest to not take advantage of the resources provided to him by the Jaguars after his last mishap? Not at all. Dumb mistake? I will say that. Not to mention he's only 23 years old. He may or may not be past that "I'm invincible" mentality.

But some people just take more than one swing to get sober/clean for whatever reason. Just because they helped him with rehab or AA doesn't mean he had the support system when he was away from the team facilities that he needed. Hopefully this is his wakeup call for that and he can do what he needs to do to continue his career and beat whatever his demons are.

Edited by JM57

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprising that with the level of scouting and his known issues that this didnt all cause him to slide more. He just doesn't seem like a rare enough talent to go so high with such baggage... Unless he hid a lot of it well... Which it doesn't sound like he does.

blackmon took games over as a senior. That bowl game against Luck, blackmon was THE beast in that game.

Sure. Why not. Was it in his best interest to not take advantage of the resources provided to him by the Jaguars after his last mishap? Not at all. Dumb mistake? I will say that. Not to mention he's only 23 years old. He may or may not be past that "I'm invincible" mentality.

But some people just take more than one swing to get sober/clean for whatever reason. Just because they helped him with rehab or AA doesn't mean he had the support system when he was away from the team facilities that he needed. Hopefully this is his wakeup call for that and he can do what he needs to do to continue his career and beat whatever his demons are.

What if he's just a weed smoking dumbass with a god complex left over from college and not the junkie victim with no support system?

Edited by filthymcnasty08

Blackmon clearly has alcohol addition issues and needs to really get help before he kills himself or even worse someone else. His problems have nothing to do with being an idiot or being stupid. Surprised people (well not really) so quickly resort to name calling in his case and others like it.

Your right. He's not an idiot, he's actually a victim.

/sarcasm

He is (or in this case is not) responsible for his own actions and behaviors. If he is !@#$ing up and not following his company's rules it shouldn't be a suprise to him that his actions have consequences.

Your right. He's not an idiot, he's actually a victim.

/sarcasm

He is (or in this case is not) responsible for his own actions and behaviors. If he is !@#$ing up and not following his company's rules it shouldn't be a suprise to him that his actions have consequences.

FYI: You're and Your are not interchangeable. Just a little help for a fellow TSW poster. :rolleyes:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

What if he's just a weed smoking dumbass with a god complex left over from college and not the junkie victim with no support system?

Then that would make him just like 90% of the players in this league and I say trade for him!!!! Jags will let him go for nothing I bet.

Guy is one of the best WRs in the entire league. I don't care if he enjoys smoking pot. Hire the guy a driver so he doesn't get any DUI's and let him ball.

Edited by peterpan

Blackmon clearly has alcohol addition issues and needs to really get help before he kills himself or even worse someone else. His problems have nothing to do with being an idiot or being stupid. Surprised people (well not really) so quickly resort to name calling in his case and others like it.

Alcohol addiction? This is the NFL, where you are free to drink yourself into oblivion. It's also a league where you can become a pill head because your team doctor hands them out like its Halloween.

But don't you dare smoke that joint that's legal in 20 states.

Then that would make him just like 90% of the players in this league and I say trade for him!!!! Jags will let him go for nothing I bet.

Guy is one of the best WRs in the entire league. I don't care if he enjoys smoking pot. Hire the guy a driver so he doesn't get any DUI's and let him ball.

I wonder if the driver option has been explored. Seems like a natural solution.

I'd be all for the Bills making a run at this guy. His price should be super cheap and he would give EJ the best receiving corps in the league to work with next season.

I'd be all for the Bills making a run at this guy. His price should be super cheap and he would give EJ the best receiving corps in the league to work with next season.

Every player in the NFL has a driver available to take them home to prevent them from driving drunk. Somehow, they still manage to drive drunk.

I like where your head is at.....

Odds we get him before Bellicheat?

Every player in the NFL has a driver available to take them home to prevent them from driving drunk. Somehow, they still manage to drive drunk.

Drunk people are stupid. The NFL should just have a sober guy follow around each player to make decisions for them.

@sportingnews

Jaguars' Justin Blackmon apologizes for suspension, will seek treatment for substance abuse http://bit.ly/1e3RPf2

Blackmon, 23, was suspended indefinitely without pay Friday by the National Football League. Reason: violation of the league's substance abuse program. Translation: alcohol.

Weed is not his issue.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

In his case I would have prescribed a guy that just followed him around and drove him all day rather than an on-call sort of guy.

Because marijuana is a substance you can abuse just like any other drug including alcohol?

Because marijuana is a substance you can abuse just like any other drug including alcohol?

My point was - many will find it hard to shed tears for blackmon as a victim and a hopeless addict deserving of sympathy if his penalty was the result of smoking weed.

If I fail a single drug test at work - I lose my job.....and nobody would be feeling sorry for me.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2013/09/04/to-avoid-duis-nfl-players-partner-with-uber-for-car-service/

My point was - many will find it hard to shed tears for blackmon as a victim and a hopeless addict deserving of sympathy if his penalty was the result of smoking weed.

If I fail a single drug test at work - I lose my job.....and nobody would be feeling sorry for me.

If your employer has rules, follow them. If you don't like it, find a new line of work. There shouldn't be any pity for him. He's not a victim. He made his choices. Hopefully he learns, changes his behavior and over comes the adversity he has created for himself

You also probably had a better upbringing than 85% of professional athletes.

I don't get why the league even tests for the stuff. I get testing for steroids, but pot is hardly a performance enhancing drug. Are they worried that he'll eat up all the donuts at the team meeting?

I already feel sorry for you.