Doug Marrones In Game Management - Is he really bad??

Like bringing discipline and accountability yet you are the most penalized team in football and give the opposing teams the most 1st downs in league due to atleast multiple personal foul penalty's/game.

Like brining analytics and not going for 2 in an obvious situation today.

Keep in context, the failed Marrone challenges wasn't the end all of the game but it is a disturbing trend.

I do think Marrone has brought a sense of discipline, the penalties are mostly because this is an inexperienced, below-average team that hasn't played with each other much.

Otherwise, yeah. The analytics stuff from Brandon was complete nonsense, as most of us thought it was.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, he's really bad

Ultra-conservative on 4th downs and in general

Stupid challenges have become a weekly thing

And he talked a big game that he'd be different in this regard, which he hasn't at all

Have you ever actually watched a Bills game? This team is better and more fun to watch than any Bills team of the last 12 years. They don't quit, they play hard to the final whistle. The Bills of the previous two regimes would have given up 100 yards rushing in the fourth quarter.

I'm pretty sure any other coach in this league is going into New Orleans' house and winning with Thad Lewis, half of Stevie Johnson, and no CJ Spiller.

C'mon, people.

If you want to get on Marrone, get on him for the penalties, because there is a clear coach's responsibility that the team has been failing at.

The in-game stuff? I personally think the FJax challenge was Marrone listening to his captain, who knew he was in. Does the book say that those bunched up piles are usually going to result in an inconclusive video replay? Probably. But Marrone listened to his players and they did respond by punching it in the next time out.

The play that negated the Graham touchdown and other penalties are what's really killing a young team that can't afford that stuff. It is tough to beat the Saints even-steven. Tougher on the road. Toughest of all when you shoot yourselves in the foot.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to know what every camera angle will or won't show or how willing a referee will be to do some simple geometry i.e. knee at the goal line with upper body leading forward = ????? I personally can't say he was wrong in either case just that there wasn't a camera angle that showed he was conclusively right.

Nobody said that. The Saints are clearly a more talented team

We're critiquing Marrone's performance

I know, I know... questioning the HARDWORKING BLUE-COLLAR GET 'ER DUN BUFFALO FOOTBALL local head coach is wrong and stupid. Some people think about things logically in Buffalo, although we're dwindling.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm not saying you or anyone can't criticize him.

What I'm saying is that it seems to me that there are a lot of people looking for scapegoats and nit picking.

I don't want to be a defensive homer, but in response to the criticisms:

The first challenge seemed like a surefire TD to me, so I was surprised it wasn't called that way.

The second challenge was maybe a little desperate, but I don't really fault him for wanting to swing the momentum back in the our favor. I guess I would've preferred he save the timeout but I can also understand the need for some urgency.

The two point conversion wasn't a big deal. There was a lot of time left and if the saints scored again, the Bills would need another score anyway. If the Saints didn't score again, they'd still need a TD and would've had another opportunity to go for two. So it didn't make a difference.

As far as him not being visibly emotional- well, the players were certainly playing their hearts out so he must be doing something right.

None of those things are a big deal to me, but if they bother you or anyone else, you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Do you even watch the games?

Yes, I watched a team missing their top 2 quarterbacks, missing the most electric runner in the league, their #1reciever gimped, their #2 rb gimped, their best cb coming off a hand injury, starting 2-3 rookie recievers, two rookie cb's and a rookie lb, in addition to a two kickers obtained as free agents. They don't have the personnel to play with NO away. Most out of town pundits think Marrone is doing a great job - I think he has his team ready to play and be competitive every week.

Put that injury and personnel list into NO and bring them here....

There's a possible explanation for the first challenge nobody has brought up. Even if Marrone thought it was unlikely that he would win the first challenge, it might make sense to challenge that play. With no challenge, he had a hugely important 3rd and goal situation coming up and may have wanted to call time-out anyway to evaluate his options. If that was the case, then the unsuccessful challenge cost him (1) a time-out that he was going to call anyway, and (2) one of his allotment of two unsuccessful challenges. But at that point worst case was he still had one challenge left to use, while best case was that some camera angle might give him the TD on second down.

It has also been my impression that even the quickest video replay reviews take longer than a standard time-out, so if you need a time-out anyway, you get more time to consider your options with an unsuccessful challenge than you get if you just call a regular time-out.

I found the second challenge less defensible.

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead