Steve Young: Nice work if you can get it

Good read. I remember around the time that Young was inducted into the HOF there was a story about the Tampa Bay Bucs having to ask Young to cash/deposit the checks they had paid him over his time there, as he had never cashed a single one. He would throw them in his top dresser drawer and forget about them. Apparently, at least in the first few years of his pro career, the only vehicle he owned was the used pickup he had purchased while in college. He lived a pretty simple life-style. Interesting guy. When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be some reference to his work on ESPN. Can't explain it, but over the last season or two, I feel like he is just "mailing it in" so to speak. Like he is really faking his interest in the NFL at this point.

Edited by Buftex

Really interesting. Young should be giving 1/2 that money to his agent; the brilliant part of the deal was to get it insured:

"Just to be safe, Steve's agent insisted that the contract be insured just like any other annuity that you would purchase from a bank. That meant Steve's deferred $30 million was covered "in case the team or the league folds". This final deal point would prove very wise."

By the way, I clicked to the link for the Bobby Bonilla deal, as well. That was another brilliant and interesting move by an athlete.