The importance of PPE. You never know when it's your time...

boyst

http://www.journalpatriot.com/news/article_ba31529c-3c0e-11e3-bc06-0019bb30f31a.html

Martin Roofing President Matthew Dice and an employee who was on the scene when the accident occurred both said Corado was standing on the ground in front of the building when a brick fell and struck him in the head.

I do not know how many of ya'll work a job or have hobbies where PPE is required or ideal but stories like this should make you realize how important safety is to your health. Knowing when to wear gloves and when not to wear them, knowing when to tuck in your shirt or tie, knowing where fire extinguishers are, wearing safety glasses for small things or even just putting in ear plugs while on the mower are all simple things you can do to save yourself a little bit of those harmful chances.

If it is safety glasses, a hardhat, ear plugs, steel toe boots, or anything...wear your PPE, protect yourself.

(For the record and laughs: I wasn't wearing gloves on a project handling a muffler and it sliced my hand open pretty bad. I was using a PTO auger off the tractor with a loose shirt and it ripped it off of me and nearly drug me in to the shaft, i was on a skidsteer in the woods when it caught fire and turned out a total loss without an extinguisher anywhere nearby, my father was installing a new hose end on old hose when it broke free and hit his eye hard enough to detach his retina, and I do not like noise).

So true. A deckhand just got hurt a month or so ago. The two inch lock line (rope) snapped when the pilot was getting a line on the wall. The rope "bit" him just enough on the high forearm. The arm didn't break but the bruise was so incredible that @ the hospital they had to open up his whole arm from thumb to past elbow to relieve the pressure!

A PPE may have not helped in this case... But if it would have knocked him into the river between the 2,000 ton barge and the wall... He could have got crushed! Of course he is wearing a work vest (PFD), steel toes, etc... We do have big blocks (body blocks: think giant Lego brick) to throw into the chamber/river... They are located every 100 feet along both sides of the lock chamber. That would give the man overboard just enough clearance between the wall, block and barge/vessel so as not to get crushed to a pulp! Hopefully the PFD does its job. Still a type III workvest may not turn a knocked out person over in the water (to breathe).

Funny story, I actually used the body blocks once in my 20+ years... To save a family of mallard ducks from getting crushed by a fleet of barges! LoL...

Anyway... They always stress safety and PPE... I can't start work without steel toes, can't step out onto the open walls (ones without handrails) to the river w/out a PFD on and hard hat (easier to break the hard hat rule). I think EM-385-1-1 even wants us to mow grass in hard hats! That's tough! Same with safety glasses (I wear Rx glasses) etc... The Corps is pretty good with their safety manual, EM-385-1-1. I think it is online, check it out. I think it may be what OSHA sets to, even more strict?

Trivia: I don't know how true it is. I heard that the number one bad (death) injury in the USACE is caused by felling trees! Really! Come to think of it... I had my share of close calls on the job... Especially w/survey!

In our daily log book I always list as one entry: -Safety, Safety, Safety, AND MORE SAFETY!!! I do it just to remind myself (and the rest of the crew) before the start of shift.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

(For the record and laughs: I wasn't wearing gloves on a project handling a muffler and it sliced my hand open pretty bad. I was using a PTO auger off the tractor with a loose shirt and it ripped it off of me and nearly drug me in to the shaft, i was on a skidsteer in the woods when it caught fire and turned out a total loss without an extinguisher anywhere nearby, my father was installing a new hose end on old hose when it broke free and hit his eye hard enough to detach his retina, and I do not like noise).

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t::oops: