Prep Coach formally accused of Bullying after 91-0 win

ChevyVanMiller

While the complaint is stupid, there are things the winning coach could have done to make it less embarrassing. Pull the starters at halftime, or once you get above 60 points tell your guys to run out of bounds short of the first down.

If you don't want to get blown out, play better. I'd never tell a kid playing football or hockey not to play hard - you're just asking for someone to get hurt.

When I coached hockey and we were blowing a team out, I'd have the players just dump it in instead of shooting, or have them make 3 passes in O zone before shooting, or have players switch positions. You never want to embarrass an opponent once you have control of the game.

Hockey isn't football. You can't tell offensive players who rarely see the field not to try and show what they have.

Maybe now they will impliment something similar to a mercy rule

I was talking to a co-worker... He said his nephew lost a football game 70 something to nothing. I suppose the numbers look really bad. But that is just 10 touchdowns w/extra points. So, it is only like losing 15-0 or so in baseball/hockey or 25/30 in basketball. LoL... ;-)

What did the Bears wallop that racist team in Washington years ago? 73-0?

I think he should have pulled the starters earlier. I also think a "bullying charge" is ridiculous.

We recently dealt with a somewhat similar (yet FAR less embarrassing) situation locally. A young girl at a local school was a few goals short of the NYS single season scoring record for Girls Soccer. Her team is the best in the council and she is, by far, the best player in the state. The game was over before it started.

Long story-short, she played the entire game - on offense - and scored 7 goals en route to a 10-0 team victory.

She got the record.

But at what cost?

I'm torn on this one. I know this girl's father. I know the school's soccer coaches. I realize you want that record. But it's like fishing in a barrel. How satisfying can it be?

I don't like the message it sends; and I don't like the 91-0 drubbing, either. There are ways to avoid things like this. They're kids. They'll get their real-life lessons sooner than they want to. Why rush it?