Prep Coach formally accused of Bullying after 91-0 win

ChevyVanMiller

Here is everything that is wrong with politically correct doctrines in today's world. A coach of a 7-0 team pulls his starters in the 3rd quarter of a blow-out against an 0-7 squad. His back-ups continue to roll and the final score is very lopsided.

The coach of the losing team said that the winning players were very respectful and that his team is just "up against it" right now. Some, noodnik parent of the losing school files a formal "bullying" charge against the winning coach and he has to go sit with administrators and explain why he shouldn't be disciplined.

People, life is often about winning or losing. Competition rules most things - jobs, government and the economy chief amongst them. It is not bullying to trounce a team while playing your back-ups. Hopefully, the kids on the losing team will suck it up and compete harder in the future.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/9863505/aledo-football-coach-tim-buchanan-accused-bullying-91-0-win

While the complaint is stupid, there are things the winning coach could have done to make it less embarrassing. Pull the starters at halftime, or once you get above 60 points tell your guys to run out of bounds short of the first down.

When I coached hockey and we were blowing a team out, I'd have the players just dump it in instead of shooting, or have them make 3 passes in O zone before shooting, or have players switch positions. You never want to embarrass an opponent once you have control of the game.

1) As a career back-up athlete, these are the moments you live for. To be able to come into a game and not really play would stink.

2) As an aside, my buddy coaches his son's flag football team. He said there is one team in the league that blows everyone out, and was blowing his kid's team out. My friend suggested to the other coach at halftime (and later the league) that the other side should be given a "W" and then they'd play the second half with the teams mixed up, so it would be fun for both the good and bad teams. My friend was harshly criticized for even suggesting that, which I thought was a great idea.

While the complaint is stupid, there are things the winning coach could have done to make it less embarrassing. Pull the starters at halftime, or once you get above 60 points tell your guys to run out of bounds short of the first down.

When I coached hockey and we were blowing a team out, I'd have the players just dump it in instead of shooting, or have them make 3 passes in O zone before shooting, or have players switch positions. You never want to embarrass an opponent once you have control of the game.

No offense, but there's no bigger kick in the nuts to your backups than when coaches put them in and tell them to take their foot off the accelerator.

So: you're expected to bust your ass every day in practice, never to play, even when you do play. C'mon.

1) As a career back-up athlete, these are the moments you live for. To be able to come into a game and not really play would stink.

Right.

The bottom line is his football team is just too powerful for everybody else (or is it just some teams)... Even if the players are all the same age and go to school. They need to find other competition. It is like the Sabres playing a group of 20-30 year olds from a beer league. Yeah, the bullying charge is BS. I am not blaming the winning coach and school, they are just too good... Their methods too much better, coaching, talent, everything. That skill and expertise should be rewarded against better competition.

I am sure they can go up in size of school divison or what not for the talent they have in both players, coaching, & development. ??

The bottom line is his football team is just too powerful for everybody else (or is it just some teams)... Even if the players are all the same age and go to school. They need to find other competition. It is like the Sabres playing a group of 20-30 year olds from a beer league. Yeah, the bullying charge is BS. I am not blaming the winning coach and school, they are just too good... Their methods too much better, coaching, talent, everything. That skill and expertise should be rewarded against better competition.

I am sure they can go up in size of school divison or what not for the talent they have in both players, coaching, & development. ??

Plus: when everything is bullying, then nothing is bullying.

They had a 'running' clock in the second half in addition to the following 'adjustments' made by the winning coach:

"Buchanan simplified the playbook. He put in the second- and third-team offensive line and got the backups as much time as he could, while still playing a few starters here and there at the beginning of the third quarter. He told his punt returner to fair-catch the ball. All told, his offense had 32 snaps. His starters began coming out in the third quarter, some of them having played just 16 snaps, Buchanan said. The Bearcats rushed for 391 yards with eight touchdowns."

No starters, no passing, running clock. Really should be no complaints here.

I was a horrible, horrible basketball player, but I LIVED for the last couple of minutes of a rout so I could get in the game and try to make a play. You can't ask your players to stop trying.

Edited by GOBILLS78

No offense, but there's no bigger kick in the nuts to your backups than when coaches put them in and tell them to take their foot off the accelerator.

So: you're expected to bust your ass every day in practice, never to play, even when you do play. C'mon.

I agree with that, but you can tell early on if it's a mismatch. Put the backups in sooner, let them play most of the games.

A problem I've seen in high school leagues is when small school districts have to draw players from other small districts to form one team. The governing board then counts the total enrollments from all those districts that players came from, even if a district only had one kid play, and then they get put in a league with big districts. There should be some consideration given to how the teams historically perform to determine what level they're put in.

How soon until conditioning becomes bullying kids out of their body type?

Anyway... It sounds like whatever program the beatdown school has over the beatup school is light years ahead in so many ways. Is it like that across the whole divison? If so, move then up a divison and play bigger schools that draw from more children.

I lived for the moment I could go out there and show what I could do. I'd get my ass handed to me every day then I'm told to fall down in my only opportunity? Yeah screw that I'm trying to score