Warning for Honda CRV and Element Owners

ajzepp

Yesterday afternoon, my friend and roommate comes into the apartment just after heading out the door to work with a very frazzled and panicked look on her face. She asks me if I would come listen to her car cause something was very wrong. I went out and stood near the car as she started it up, and the noise was so startling that I literally jumped back thinking that something had exploded. I was planning to call AAA to have her car towed when her son-in-law, a mechanic, came out to take a look. He got under the car and said he knew exactly what the problem was...the entire catalytic converter assembly had been removed.

My friend called the cops and filed an insurance report, and after the police finished writing up their own report they explained that there have been THIRTY reports just in our area alone over the last month. Apparently this is a very widespread problem, as thieves are stealing this part of the exhaust since it's made from platinum. I went online to see how much press the issue has received, and it looks like this is a very serious and growing problem.

Anyway, many of you may already know about this, but I don't recall anyone posting about it so thought I'd give you a head's up. We live in a gated community in what is considered to be a relatively safe area with a low crime rate, so if it's happening here, it can happen anywhere.

Yesterday afternoon, my friend and roommate comes into the apartment just after heading out the door to work with a very frazzled and panicked look on her face. She asks me if I would come listen to her car cause something was very wrong. I went out and stood near the car as she started it up, and the noise was so startling that I literally jumped back thinking that something had exploded. I was planning to call AAA to have her car towed when her son-in-law, a mechanic, came out to take a look. He got under the car and said he knew exactly what the problem was...the entire catalytic converter assembly had been removed.

My friend called the cops and filed an insurance report, and after the police finished writing up their own report they explained that there have been THIRTY reports just in our area alone over the last month. Apparently this is a very widespread problem, as thieves are stealing this part of the exhaust since it's made from platinum. I went online to see how much press the issue has received, and it looks like this is a very serious and growing problem.

Anyway, many of you may already know about this, but I don't recall anyone posting about it so thought I'd give you a head's up. We live in a gated community in what is considered to be a relatively safe area with a low crime rate, so if it's happening here, it can happen anywhere.

2 comments:

1. Women drivers :wallbash:

2. I smell a Howitzer prize if you do a web show on this.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Boy stealing a cat laying on your back would be a job. Torch it off?. I know they steal air bags. Get quick coin for them.

This has been a problem for many years now. The ones they pick on are usually the SUV's that are higher up (easier to get under). It is the make and model, some cc's are easier to chop off. Design, design, design.

Now with rechargeable power tools that are powerful... A (mini) Sawzall is all one needs and bam, it is off! Most systems are stainless now too... @ the same pipe wall thickness, stainless may be harder to cut through faster than conventional steel... But they are going to thinner wall, since the stainless won't rot out as fast (also less material=less weight=better wear=cost). Efficiency saves labor.

Anyway, you see the problem... The Pt sitting in a CC and then advent of more efficient tools and materials that last a heck of a lot longer... Bam, we got a market in place for something!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

In my area, the dealerships were getting nailed on a pretty frequent basis. They caught the guy (or one of the guys) hanging out in a parking lot of a supermarket adjacent to a Toyota dealership.

I was married in 1994 and our wedding bands and wife's engagement ring is set in all Pt. I think my band is only under an ounce or so. I was shocked to see what Pt is going for now... I think we paid like 250 bucks for my band alone... Her set (with sapphire and custom nesting "working band") was under 2 grand... Is an "estate piece."

I wonder what it goes for now? ;-) ;-)

Anway... I went Pt because it isn't as flashy and a bit more low key... Maybe people will just think it is silver. Me personally, I don't like the idea of having a grand or more on my finger! Would bad guys chop it off, the finger that is. I'd surely offer them a pair of tin snips if anybody is jumping me for jewelry! LoL...

In my area, the dealerships were getting nailed on a pretty frequent basis. They caught the guy (or one of the guys) hanging out in a parking lot of a supermarket adjacent to a Toyota dealership.

They should come up with a skid plate that locks in order to prevent CC theft.