Question about Adoption

OnTheRocks

My wife and I are considering adoption.

Does anyone know of any good internet help to research the options in the U.S. as well as abroad?

I don't want to sound like an oger...but if we go this route we will only be considering infant to 2 years of age.

Try adoption.com, they have a lot of resources.

The first, and most important step is to determine whether you want domestic or international adoption. The process for both is vastly different. Then make sure you choose a reputable agency. Ask friends or other referrals. If you go the international route, the agency you choose will make all the difference in the world.

Good luck.

GG are you speaking from experience?

if so....do you have any recommendations?

i have been searching the internet for a few months getting some info....talkign to a few people...just thought I would check with the vast knowledge of my TSW board mates for additional helps.

i have a brother that adopted from China.

a sister-in-law that adopted once from the Ukraine. and also from Romania.

and another sister-in-law who adopted twice in Texas, children that were illegals from Mexico.

not sure i want to go that route.

i know the options in the US are VERY expensive...and a very long wait. The options in foriegn countries can be just as expensive, but not quite as long of a wait.

GG are you speaking from experience?

if so....do you have any recommendations?

Yes, we're going through the process now. As far as the agency, you may want to pick a good one close to home, although it's not a necessity, as the home study is always done by a local outfit. As I'm in the NYC area, the agencies here are a bit more expensive.

i have been searching the internet for a few months getting some info....talkign to a few people...just thought I would check with the vast knowledge of my TSW board mates for additional helps.

i have a brother that adopted from China.

a sister-in-law that adopted once from the Ukraine.  and also from Romania.

and another sister-in-law who adopted twice in Texas, children that were illegals from Mexico.

not sure i want to go that route.

i know the options in the US are VERY expensive...and a very long wait.  The options in foriegn countries can be just as expensive, but not quite as long of a wait.

208706[/snapback]

In the end, there probably won't that much of a cost difference between US and int'l adoption, once you factor the travel & registration.

The biggest diff is that US is open adoption and you have to come to grips with that fact.

Depending on teh country you choose, the wait could be very long as well. Right now, China is probably the quickest, especially if you want a girl.