Bills Defense Vs The Saints Offense

Bryce Paup

Getting Drew Bree's Off His Mark Is The Key To The Bills Having Any Kind Of Success On Defense.. Brees Is A Rhythm Passer And The Patriots Were Able To Disrupt Some Timing On Some Of The Routes.. Similar To What Kansas City Did To Them Last Year. Collapse The Pocket And Get Some Hits On Him Early..Forcing Him To Scramble Is Our Best Chance To Make Plays And Get After Him. The Bills Secondary Will Be Up For The Challenge.. If We Can Neutralize Jimmy Graham And Force 2 Turnovers We'll Be Able To Win This Game

Last time Brees played against Pettine he was held to 190 yards passing and Pierre Thomas had 86 yards rushing. If we can hold them to that I feel we have a decent shot.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=291004018

Thad will need to make some plays with his arm. He's capable, but I worry more film on him will make him easier to defend

Good analysis. (On another note, if you capitalize the first letter of each word you are inviting some of the code-breaker nerds to try and descramble a secret message. Either that, or you are partially shouting)

Lmaoooo that's a habit I have whenever I post stuff

jimmy graham is to be worried about sure - but more importantly, I think, is the ability to stop Sproles (especially on third down)

jam all WR/TE and game plan to stop Sproles...I just dont know how we would even go about doing that

I Think the key would be the pass rush by our front 4 and mixing up blitzes to force Bree's to get rid of the ball quickly.. Marcel Kyle And Mario have to get to him

jimmy graham is to be worried about sure - but more importantly, I think, is the ability to stop Sproles (especially on third down)

jam all WR/TE and game plan to stop Sproles...I just dont know how we would even go about doing that

dont let sproles run free but if graham is out and they give sproles 20+ touches trying to force him to win the game himself... he wont normally. hes devastating as a role player, but manageable as a workhorse, in my opinion. he will be productive, but if you can shut down colston, stills and moore and leave it all on sproles, hes just not that player typically.

Edited by NoSaint

dont let sproles run free but if graham is out and they give sproles 20+ touches trying to force him to win the game himself... he wont normally. hes devastating as a role player, but manageable as a workhorse, in my opinion. he will be productive, but if you can shut down colston, stills and moore and leave it all on sproles, hes just not that player typically.

I thought Moore was also out.

Also: anyone feel like the defense is has been hovering on its potential, poised to find its stride and breakout? Don't you think it's about time?

im not worried about Sproles in the run game, and they wont give him 20 touches regardless - but he can catch 10 passes and turn those into 200 yards and 2 TDs - THATS what worries me about him

pass rush does nothing to negate Sproles, in fact, in encourages dumping it to sproles - I dont see too many people on our defense (or really, in the league) that can tackle him in the open field

I thought Moore was also out.

Also: anyone feel like the defense is has been hovering on its potential, poised to find its stride and breakout? Don't you think it's about time?

if i recall he was up to questionable last game, i didnt see much of it so honestly not sure if he was active. that was 2 weeks ago though. he might be in a similar spot to graham currently.

moore is a brees favorite and would be a tough matchup in the slot for us.

im not worried about Sproles in the run game, and they wont give him 20 touches regardless - but he can catch 10 passes and turn those into 200 yards and 2 TDs - THATS what worries me about him

pass rush does nothing to negate Sproles, in fact, in encourages dumping it to sproles - I dont see too many people on our defense (or really, in the league) that can tackle him in the open field

thats part of the keep the deep ball covered, force them to dump it to sproles, and dont give up a ton of YAC because you have guys between him and the endzone strategy that i think may work well. becomes much easier without 2 guys watching graham going the opposite direction leaving sproles 1-1 with no safety over the top.

i think mario can generate pressure 1-1 vs the tackles, and hughes likely can too. pick and choose a few spots to blitz, not constantly

a disciplined secondary and mario doing his job well should be enough to keep it interesting.

Edited by NoSaint

I feel this way about CJ...I just don't think CJ likes to be the premier back. He seems to perform best as the "substitute" back for some reason. I have nothing to back this up so don't hate on me too much.

if i recall he was up to questionable last game, i didnt see much of it so honestly not sure if he was active. that was 2 weeks ago though. he might be in a similar spot to graham currently.

moore is a brees favorite and would be a tough matchup in the slot for us.

thats part of the keep the deep ball covered, force them to dump it to sproles, and dont give up a ton of YAC because you have guys between him and the endzone strategy that i think may work well. becomes much easier without 2 guys watching graham going the opposite direction leaving sproles 1-1 with no safety over the top.

i think mario can generate pressure 1-1 vs the tackles, and hughes likely can too. pick and choose a few spots to blitz, not constantly

a disciplined secondary and mario doing his job well should be enough to keep it interesting.

I hope your spot on with this....but it does rely on our guys being able to break down and tackle Sproles after he catches is in the flats, which frankly, scares me haha

Good analysis. (On another note, if you capitalize the first letter of each word you are inviting some of the code-breaker nerds to try and descramble a secret message. Either that, or you are partially shouting)

haha, on another note, who is " Bree's" ? ..... :nana:

I hope your spot on with this....but it does rely on our guys being able to break down and tackle Sproles after he catches is in the flats, which frankly, scares me haha

yup - byrd being back makes me happy as hes good at crashing down and wrapping up, generally. wont say its easy, but i think its the clearest way to be effective. if brees starts hitting guys all over the field, thats typically when sproles becomes deadliest. when hes getting his touches as the outlet valve you have a better chance. still, much easier said than done.

even if sproles ends up with about a 100 all purpose yards and a td - if we havent been assaulted downfield, we will be in good shape. i think of him more as the back breaker than the initiator with regards to the saints success.

Its an old article i posted back when marrone was hired, but a good basic primer.

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2011/5/28/2195619/gulf-coast-offense-setting-trends

sub in names like sproles and graham for bush and shockey, and carl nicks has been replaced by a solid ben grubbs at guard.... the ideas are there still. with graham hampered or out, it changes the dynamic nature a lot.

if you can exploit the gift that SP gives you at tackle with a great individual player, and atleast be stout/penetrate a little inside so brees cant step up (hes GREAT at climbing the pocket), you start seeing frustration. mario will be huge here.

Its an old article i posted back when marrone was hired, but a good basic primer.

http://www.canalstre...-setting-trends

sub in names like sproles and graham for bush and shockey, and carl nicks has been replaced by a solid ben grubbs at guard.... the ideas are there still. with graham hampered or out, it changes the dynamic nature a lot.

if you can exploit the gift that SP gives you at tackle with a great individual player, and atleast be stout/penetrate a little inside so brees cant step up (hes GREAT at climbing the pocket), you start seeing frustration. mario will be huge here.

good thing Dareus gets no push in the pocket and is usually blown off the ball, so by the time Brees steps up in the pocket, Dareus might have worked his way back to the line of scrimmage to stop him

good thing Dareus gets no push in the pocket and is usually blown off the ball, so by the time Brees steps up in the pocket, Dareus might have worked his way back to the line of scrimmage to stop him

no doubt, they all have to do their jobs - which is no promise they will... but if mario plays like a stud on the end and KW/MD can get a little rush.... we have the type of personnel up front that has given them a hard time.

getting that with 4 guys gives us a +1 body count for the secondary, not having to double graham over the top would be a +2 in coverage vs what they often face on the receivers, or crashing on screens. any time you can get that edge on a team, its huge.

on a good day, they could still drop 40 on a great defense though, so not saying itll be easy - simply on paper we have a shot.

Edited by NoSaint

Gilmore can't jam anyone or tackle very well with the club!

When is that coming off, he is almost a liability out there