Phone and Tablet Apps

boyst

Been a while since we had one of these. Recommend an app or two or three...

My only submission:

PushBullet, It lets you use your desktop, phone, tablet, any one elses you're connected with to push lists, links, notes. You may think it is silly because you can text, but this is a simple app integrated with Google that lets you simply open, click the device you want to push to and send.

MyRadar

Great doppler radar app. Big blue dot tells you exactly where you are. You can scroll anywhere, zoom in/out. And the radar is always on a loop that's 5 minutes out. I swear by it. Even time my walks by it when the weather looks iffy.

Waze - GPS with crowd-sourced road conditions. Love the idea of an app that can tell you the best way to go and give current road conditions based on others uses actually making reports. I use this every day on my 35 mile commute. I get rerouted when there's bad traffic. Best of all, I get warned a few tenths of a mile before I pass a cop, so it's like having a radar detector as well. Love the app and can see why Google bought them for a billion dollars a few months back....

Waze - GPS with crowd-sourced road conditions. Love the idea of an app that can tell you the best way to go and give current road conditions based on others uses actually making reports. I use this every day on my 35 mile commute. I get rerouted when there's bad traffic. Best of all, I get warned a few tenths of a mile before I pass a cop, so it's like having a radar detector as well. Love the app and can see why Google bought them for a billion dollars a few months back....

Waze is a fantastic app!

BBM now available on iOS and Android for those who may be interested: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57608483-94/blackberry-bbm-finally-hits-ios-android-but-theres-a-wait-list/

Does the app automatically update to warn other users of an accident ahead after you crash your car while checking your phone?

do you need waze as a stand alone or is it incorporated into google maps?

aaargggg...they are using yellowpages for data....grrrrr.... :wallbash:

Edited by The Poojer

Does the app automatically update to warn other users of an accident ahead after you crash your car while checking your phone?

Using GPS on your phone is the same as using one the small dedicated GPS units you can get (Garmin, Tom Tom, etc.) - I have a windshield mount for my phone. Traffic, accidents, cops all show up on the maps as icons - not distracting (I also have voice alerts set so as I approach a cop I get a verbal notification). Reporting conditions is easy and can be done verbally - no need to take your hands off the wheel.

do you need waze as a stand alone or is it incorporated into google maps?

aaargggg...they are using yellowpages for data....grrrrr.... :wallbash:

Right now Waze is stand alone, but I noticed when I last used Google maps there was a icon for an accident and when I tapped it it said accident reported by Waze user, so they are doing some level of integration at this point.

yeah, exactly...i saw that this morning and didn't know what waze was until now...wow....'what waze was'...

Right now Waze is stand alone, but I noticed when I last used Google maps there was a icon for an accident and when I tapped it it said accident reported by Waze user, so they are doing some level of integration at this point.

Downloaded and installed yesterday and still waiting "in line" to use it. WTF? Is this the usual Blackberry way? No wonder they are in trouble.

They're trying to generate buzz. BBM was great in 2007 when we all had Blackberries and you wanted to have a simple convo. Now, texts are faster then they used to be, more reliable and you can do a lot more with them. The biggest knock against texting in 07 was that most phones did not thread the texts. BBM did that and it allowed for group messaging - which texts did not at that time.

My radar, waze, and trapster (all mentioned above are all good). Some of the others I also like iAnnotate (allows you to work with pdfs), Noteshelf (writing app), imdb, HBO Go, Directv app, fandango (buy movie tickets remotely), Netflix, AA.com, NFL Game Rewind, NBC Live Extra, Zenbe Lists (just what it sounds like), Four Four Two Stats Zone (soccer stats app), my various sports related apps and team apps, and the social apps such as facebook, twitter, and instagram.

Another app I like is my Wells Fargo app because it allows me to make deposits without going to the bank (up to a certain amount). I presume most banks have something similar.

My only submission:

PushBullet, It lets you use your desktop, phone, tablet, any one elses you're connected with to push lists, links, notes. You may think it is silly because you can text, but this is a simple app integrated with Google that lets you simply open, click the device you want to push to and send.

Why not just use google hangout?

They're trying to generate buzz. BBM was great in 2007 when we all had Blackberries and you wanted to have a simple convo. Now, texts are faster then they used to be, more reliable and you can do a lot more with them. The biggest knock against texting in 07 was that most phones did not thread the texts. BBM did that and it allowed for group messaging - which texts did not at that time.

BBM had a lot more than that. You could do group calendars, reminders, received & read status, etc. Can't do that with text.

But most people have moved on to things like Google Hangout, Group Me, and others.

Edited by BlueFire

Why not just use google hangout?

BBM had a lot more than that. You could do group calendars, reminders, received & read status, etc. Can't do that with text.

But most people have moved on to things like Google Hangout, Group Me, and others.

exactly. But not everyone has Google or likes Google. My dad refuses to use Google because he does not agree with their policies. He only uses bing and hotmaol.

MyRadar

Great doppler radar app. Big blue dot tells you exactly where you are. You can scroll anywhere, zoom in/out. And the radar is always on a loop that's 5 minutes out. I swear by it. Even time my walks by it when the weather looks iffy.

I'll check this out. I use radarnow

Seriously my favorite thing about a smart phone is having doppler on my phone with 1 push of a button anywhere. Love it.

My only submission:

Ah the mountain man life!