Carpenter's game-saving play

I love the way Dan Carpenter laid out to stop the kickoff return. A real gamer

Shades of the late John Leypoldt (Bills kicker 1971-76) who often went down field and made the tackle on kickoffs. (Never mind that his percentage on extra points as a Bill was only 93%... in those days OJ and the Electric Company scored so much ...)

Yeah he may well have saved the game with that tackle.

The bigger question is why he kicked it so short in the first place.

Marrone said he just missed it...Didn't get all of it...He said they definitely did not call for the short kick to run some clock... B-)

OK, so he kicked it short ( on the 1-2 yard line ). What is wrong with getting him at the 22-25 yard line? Carpenter has been our unsung MVP this year. Hasn't missed a field goal since the first one of the year. Think about that! Carpenter your next Buffalo Bills Pro Bowler.

I don't think this is worth starting a new thread over, so I will throw it in here:

Why were the Fins' fans booing Dan Carpenter throughout the game? I thought Miami cut him for a younger guy. I don't get the bad blood, unless I am missing something.

Funny, right? There was an article written in Miami today that talked about him. Said he was very mild mannered, dry-humored and a good teammate. Carpenter said he has no bad feelings in how he was let go. Was interested in how he would be received, said after his first FG, his questions were answered.

I don't think this is worth starting a new thread over, so I will throw it in here:

Why were the Fins' fans booing Dan Carpenter throughout the game? I thought Miami cut him for a younger guy. I don't get the bad blood, unless I am missing something.

From the looks of the stadium during certain camera shots during the game....what fans??? That place looked about as thin as a Jacksonville/Minnesota game.

On a related note, did anyone catch the Colts kicker lay out the returner in last night's game? It was right after the same returner had fumbled a return which led to a Colts' score.

Yeah. It was a clear helmet-to-helmet shot. Should have been a penalty and will be a fine.

The only thing I can think of is because he missed a bunch of field goals last year?I

In terms of a TD saving tackle, that is also what Lindell did a few years ago against the Jets - and then was out the rest of the year.

Yeah he may well have saved the game with that tackle.

The bigger question is why he kicked it so short in the first place.

I don't get this at all. Back when kickers kicked from the 30 instead of the 35, the ball would usually reach up to where Carpenter did yesterday and special teams would reach the returner with no problem. But now that we kick from the 35 (which also means the kicking teams' players are that much closer to reaching the returner) it's a problem that Carpenter kicked where he kicked?

I don't agree one bit. A disciplined special teams group would have gotten to the retuner with no problem. Heck, in the first quarter Carpenter kicked it short also and we made the tackle at the 16. This is not Carpenter's fault. Maybe his direction was off, but I had no problem with the ball landing where it did, cuz if we make the tackle even at the 25, it would have took precious seconds off the clock.

I don't get this at all. Back when kickers kicked from the 30 instead of the 35, the ball would usually reach up to where Carpenter did yesterday and special teams would reach the returner with no problem. But now that we kick from the 35 (which also means the kicking teams' players are that much closer to reaching the returner) it's a problem that Carpenter kicked where he kicked?

I don't agree one bit. A disciplined special teams group would have gotten to the retuner with no problem. Heck, in the first quarter Carpenter kicked it short also and we made the tackle at the 16. This is not Carpenter's fault. Maybe his direction was off, but I had no problem with the ball landing where it did, cuz if we make the tackle even at the 25, it would have took precious seconds off the clock.

Well, that apparently is not what Marrone wanted.

Marrone said he just missed it...Didn't get all of it...He said they definitely did not call for the short kick to run some clock... B-)

Carpenter kicked an almost identical kickoff to start the game. What happened was Hogan & Woods did a terrible job holding the edge of the line and allowed the returner to get outside. Carpenter's diving tackle attempt did enough to slow down and allow the tacklers to rally to the ball. It was terrible coverage, and reminded me of our recent punt coverage debacles.

Sour grapes...Carpenter didn't do so well for them and now he's a baller for us. Miami fans are a bunch of sweaty armpits