Should Marrone Have Challenged The Spot On The Interception?

Upon intercepting the ball, team possession changes. It changed from being the Dolphins ball to become the Bills ball. Direction of play thus changes with the possession.....thus forward progression becomes heading out of the end zone.

Correct dibs - technically the tackle was to our advantage as it helped advance the ball. The endzone wasn't forward progress, it was the absolute furthest backward possible. Williams earned return yards on the tackle.

Kind of a fluky spot where advancing from the -1 to the 1 actually hurt us, despite moving forward

I was puzzled by that ruling since Williams did not try to advance the ball beyond the EZ. Must not be a reviewable play. If it was, I'm surprised Marrone did not throw the flag.

Was the correct call and makes perfect sense when you actually get down to the theory of the rule. Getting to the 1 was actually awarding him forward progress.

Correct dibs - technically the tackle was to our advantage as it helped advance the ball. The endzone wasn't forward progress, it was the absolute furthest backward possible. Williams earned return yards on the tackle.

Kind of a fluky spot where advancing from the -1 to the 1 actually hurt us, despite moving forward

Was the correct call and makes perfect sense when you actually get down to the theory of the rule. Getting to the 1 was actually awarding him forward progress.

Sounds right. Kind of sucks nonetheless since he made no attempt to advance and it wound up putting the Bills in a bad spot WRT field position.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Sounds right. Kind of sucks nonetheless since he made no attempt to advance and it wound up putting the Bills in a bad spot WRT field position.

Don't often see it and my gut matched yours but after thinking for a minute the lightbulb came on and it made sense. Gaining 2 yards cost us 19 but they were positive yards still.

Yes you can. The spot was 100% reviewable, it was simply spotted properly from my understanding

Wrong. All possession changes and scores are automatically reviewed. If he throws the red flag there, the refs throw a yellow one.

Wrong. All possession changes and scores are automatically reviewed. If he throws the red flag there, the refs throw a yellow one.

But the interception is not what's being reviewed, simply the spot on the tackle. No? Or am I pulling a Jim Schwartz here? Reviewing the score or turnover doesn't mean they review all aspects of the play and the spot would be separate from the interception.

But the interception is not what's being reviewed, simply the spot on the tackle. No? Or am I pulling a Jim Schwartz here? Reviewing the score or turnover doesn't mean they review all aspects of the play and the spot would be separate from the interception.

My understanding of the rule is that on a scoring play or turnover the entire play is automatically reviewed.

My understanding of the rule is that on a scoring play or turnover the entire play is automatically reviewed.

I certainly could be wrong - simply going off an "I thought I remembered seeing...." And not a deep proclaimed knowledge of the rule.

Regardless, the spot was correct which is why the booth didnt send a ref under the hood even if it had to come from upstairs

I certainly could be wrong - simply going off an "I thought I remembered seeing...." And not a deep proclaimed knowledge of the rule.

Regardless, the spot was correct which is why the booth didnt send a ref under the hood even if it had to come from upstairs

You're not wrong. Marrone could've reviewed the spot of the ball. The only thing automatically reviewed is everything leading up to and including the turnover. So the spot of the ball wouldn't have been reviewed.

It's irrelevant, though, because the review would've been overturned. The spot was 100% correct.

When a play is reviewed by the booth, everything about the play is reviewed including the spot and time on the clock. Marrine would've gotten a penalty if he threw the red flag. And then the same people clamoring for the challenge in this thread would be the same ones vilifying him for throwing the flag on an unchallengeable play.

Upon intercepting the ball, team possession changes. It changed from being the Dolphins ball to become the Bills ball. Direction of play thus changes with the possession.....thus forward progression becomes heading out of the end zone.

100% correct... Had it been our 40, and he was tackled like that we would have gotten the ball at the 42...