How many games does Thad Lewis have to win to remain the starter

johnwalter

How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. How many games does Thad have to win to remain the starter?

• 3-2 in his next five starts
    • 4-1 in his next five starts
    • 5-0 in his next five starts

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we could just give Thad's deep ball to EJ and just watch our franchise an develop.

I'm an EJ guy, but I do feel that you go with the hot hand. If we are in these games and Thad is a reason, I agree that you don't rush EJ back

I was thinking of starting a thread to discuss Thad's play. I agree that EJ will play again when healthy, but I also think the Thad is a pretty good QB and deserves some props.

I like that Thad slid a few times rather than take the hit. We can't afford to let him get hurt at this point. I also think that Thad knows when to throw hard and when to have some touch on it. I think he threw behind his receivers last week, and this week he was on target more.

I wish he would learn to throw it away rather than take a sack. Maybe next week he will show that he has learned that as well.

He threw a pick, took a bunch of sacks, fumbled the ball twice (recovered both fortunately), had no TD passes, missed open receivers all day (some badly) and finished the game with 70 QB rating. We won despite the shortcomings at QB because the defense made huge, massive plays like a pick six, an end zone pick and a strip-sack for the winning points. Lets hold off on the Thad Lewis bandwagon for just a bit longer.

He threw a pick, took a bunch of sacks, fumbled the ball twice (recovered both fortunately), had no TD passes, missed open receivers all day (some badly) and finished the game with 70 QB rating. We won despite the shortcomings at QB because the defense made huge, massive plays like a pick six, an end zone pick and a strip-sack for the winning points. Lets hold off on the Thad Lewis bandwagon for just a bit longer.

Literally everything you said about Thad could be said about EJ in a couple games. Thad didn't have the luxury of a run game to fall back on today either.

Thad is getting no love. He deserves a hell of a lot of credit for the way he's played against two good defenses, coming off the practice squad. I've seen all the Dolphins games this year and they're a good club, their only bad came came against the Saints. Bitching about bad QB play is ridiculous. The guy came in against a vicious pass rush, took a few vicious shots, and helped the team get the win. How good can you expect him to be? He wasn't here during training camp. Lord almighty fans here are stupid.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

:doh: Rob Johnson

But really. While our O line was not giving Thad much of a chance, Thad didn't look great today. I seriously doubt he will go 4-0 against NO, KC, PIT, and the Jets heading into the bye. If he does, with a commanding presence and no riding on the coat tails of our defense offering free points and great field position, then MAYBE we can discuss the possibility of letting him start in Toronto.

Lewis could win every game, EJ is starting when he's healthy. Bills put too many eggs into that basket. For reasons I don't understand, but EJ's our guy no matter what.

What eggs?

They used a 1st round pick, sure, but that doesn't mean he HAS to start this season, or the staff will be considered idiots.

No one would question them starting Lewis if he won every game. That's 5 wins in a row, and you think Marrone is going to take him out after beating Miami, the Jets, a currently undefeated KC, and road game against the Saints? This team hasn't won 5 in a row since 2004 (against very weak teams).

What other "eggs" have they committed to him? They picked up Kolb, and most expected Kolb to at least start the season, so they laid the groundwork for sitting EJ. If Kolb had them on track for the playoffs from the start of the year, you know he would have kept the job for the season.

I think they would be more concerned with losing the players, if they went on a winning streak, then pulled Lewis out.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

What eggs?

They used a 1st round pick, sure, but that doesn't mean he HAS to start this season, or the staff will be considered idiots.

No one would question them starting Lewis if he won every game. That's 5 wins in a row, and you think Marrone is going to take him out after beating Miami, the Jets, a currently undefeated KC, and road game against the Saints?) This team hasn't won 5 in a row since 2004 (against very weak teams).

What other "eggs" have they committed to him? They picked up Kolb, and most expected Kolb to at least start the season, so they laid the groundwork for sitting EJ. If Kolb had them on track for the playoffs from the start of the year, you know he would have kept the job for the season.

This "poll" is under a ridiculous premise, as you have pointed out - we aren't going 5-0 from here. Lewis, by many respects, has played on a very similar level to Manuel. Since Manuel is younger and had less time to develop, it would only be assumed that Manuel will get better than Lewis from here. But this conversation has no business happening under the false pretense that we will go 5-0.

Oh, and I don't know what you mean by "most expected Kolb to start the season". It seemed pretty clear before the concussion that Kolb was looking a little sloppy =/

Edited by iEat_Phins

What eggs?

No one would question them starting Lewis if he won every game. That's 5 wins in a row, and you think Marrone is going to take him out after beating Miami, the Jets, a currently undefeated KC, and road game against the Saints?) This team hasn't won 5 in a row since 2004 (against very weak teams).

The notion of Kolb having the Bills "on track for the playoffs" made me laugh out loud.

The notion of Kolb having the Bills "on track for the playoffs" made me laugh out loud.

I didn't say it would happen. The point is, going into this season, they were ready to start Kolb, and if he had them on any kind of 5 game winning streak, he would keep the job. The players would lose their minds if Lewis won these 5 games and was pulled. The coaches would lose the team, especially a guy like Fred Jackson, who might never get another shot.

This "poll" is under a ridiculous premise, as you have pointed out - we aren't going 5-0 from here. Lewis, by many respects, has played on a very similar level to Manuel. Since Manuel is younger and had less time to develop, it would only be assumed that Manuel will get better than Lewis from here. But this conversation has no business happening under the false pretense that we will go 5-0.

Oh, and I don't know what you mean by "most expected Kolb to start the season". It seemed pretty clear before the concussion that Kolb was looking a little sloppy =/

I mean they ORIGINALLY signed him to start if EJ need time to develop. He sucked, but the plan was obviously that Kolb was likely going to start the season until EJ was ready.

It depends on how he plays, if he plays decent but its the defense that is why we are winning then I think EJ is back. If he begins to be more productive and we go 4-1 or a really good percentage like that I think we have a QB controversy. But its going to be hard to take the job from EJ, the guy is 1-1 with mid-level to lower level production so unless he really turns it on and the Bills start to win its not likely.

Thaddeus looks like a solid backup for now. Hope he improves to the point that some team makes us a offer we can't refuse. That's if EJ is for sure our franchise QB. Only time will tell for both. So far so good.

Literally everything you said about Thad could be said about EJ in a couple games. Thad didn't have the luxury of a run game to fall back on today either.

I'm not the one giving Thad credit for the win when he played like crap, and that was the question, "how many wins" does Thad need to be the starter. Oh, and no, not everything I said could be said about EJ in a couple games. For example, before he got hurt, EJ threw a TD pass in every game he played and had a higher QB rating than Thad did in this game in three of his four complete games. His only sub-70 rating game was Baltimore, a game we won. And EJ did that with Brown at LG, who was consistently wihffing on his pass blocks so badly he was demoted from starter to the unemployment line. If you sincerely think Thad is a better QB than EJ, just let me know because I have been down this "buffalo fans always root for the underpaid underdog" street before. Its how you get to Chris Kelsay Blvd and Fitzpatrick Sq.

Okay, I keep hearing that EJ is our Franchise QB. What do you base that determination on? Come on, convince me why EJ is the Franchise QB or Lewis is not. But do not say because he was our first round pick. Where you were picked does not make you a better player, just a player who makes more money and has higher expectations to meet.

How is EJ better than Lewis? Give me statistics and facts to convince me, not personal wishes and opinions.

Understand I am not saying I believe that Lewis is a Franchise QB. Convince me why EJ is better than Lewis based on his actual play on the field during the regular season. Has EJ had a better long ball in actual games? Has he given up less picks per game on average? Has he given up less sacks per game on average? Has he had a better completion rate? Has he made better decisions? Has he shown better leadership skills?

I am not slamming or promoting either player. I want you to convince me that either one has given an actual performance on the field that has shown that he deserves to be considered a potential franchise QB. Remember use statics and actual performance, not opinions and feelings.

This is your challenge. Make your case for anointing a Franchise QB for the Bills!

Edited by simpleman