game thread is a disgrace

KikO M G

Its hard to weave through the "the coach looks lost", "EJ sucks because FSU is doing well this year" and"coaching sucks because my favorite play wasn't called when I thought it should be" posts, but I will say that I look at those posts as having more to do with the writer than it has to do with the team.

Seriously, the only issue I had was calling a time out after Mario knocked the stupid out of Ryan Tannehill at the end of the game. Should have made Tannehill try to run a play right after that rather than give him a minute to gather himself off the turf. But: Who am I to know what was going on with the team at the time. We're not in the huddle, and no one on this forum was in the huddle either.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bills can no longer be overlooked, They have gotten under the skin of pretty much everyone they have played, and they have been in a position, at least, to win every game. but whatever, the coach looks lost :wallbash:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the tone of most threads it seems like we lost yesterday. I swear we won. Personally, I don't care how either.

It was a tough game to watch from a quality standpoint, but you are right. Any win is a good win. And a division win twice as much.

I'm with you. They won a road game against a divisional opponent and the last I knew there are no style points in the NFL.

+1

I must not have communicated well.

I think the people being negative are just that. They're negative after wins, they're negative after losses. From their perspective, it doesn't matter how good we play in a loss, because it's a loss. But that logic doesn't seem to apply to wins.

I want to see the Bills produce the quality of play one associates with an 11-5 or 12-4 team. Thus far this season that hasn't happened. It certainly didn't happen yesterday against the Dolphins! Nor has it happened for the last 12+ years.

Sometimes the Bills will win anyway, despite playing far below the level I envision for them. Some people consider wins like that stepping stones. We've had plenty of wins like that over the last 12 years; and thus far those wins have served as stepping stones to precisely nowhere.

I would argue that you first have to win in the off-season before you can win in the regular season. I'd also argue that to a large degree, the regular season is the measurement tool for how much you won or lost in the off-season. For example, you might think you won a big off-season victory when you drafted Player X. But how good does X look when he plays in the NFL?

There were a series of off-season victories we needed to achieve in order to become a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Some of the positions were linebacker, #2 WR, and above all, quarterback. We appear to have achieved some of those needed off-season victories. But quarterback is still a huge question mark. Until that question mark is replaced with a legitimate top-10 QB, the Bills will not be a realistic Super Bowl contender.

It was an ugly win with most fans around here really wanting to see this team outright win a game once in a while, reactions are appropriate for a game that really didn't go well for them for a large portion of it. I'm happy we won, but I would love to see this team dominate someone other than a bottom feeder before I go waving my "we're #1" foam finger.

We won a TOUGH division game on road which has been a RARITY for numerous years with a 4th string QB and our 2 best weapons on O, our RB;s both hobbled. Considering the situation, and CJ being completely ineffective and NEEDS to rest the ankle cuz he game is so reliant on cut backs and just cant burst off those cuts and doesnt trust the ankle. Freddy is more a between tackles runner and his injury is easier to play with and has more heart than i think ANY player out there, on BOTH teams every single week. Yet, he is not as effective as he could be. Stevie was banged up and dolphins have a very solid D.

I'm extremely happy with an "ugly" win. We have lost too many of these ugly games to complain about ANY win! Granted the Phins didnt have their "A" game yesterday, but a division win on road is CRUCIAL and huge building block.

I want to see the Bills produce the quality of play one associates with an 11-5 or 12-4 team. Thus far this season that hasn't happened. It certainly didn't happen yesterday against the Dolphins! Nor has it happened for the last 12+ years.

Sometimes the Bills will win anyway, despite playing far below the level I envision for them. Some people consider wins like that stepping stones. We've had plenty of wins like that over the last 12 years; and thus far those wins have served as stepping stones to precisely nowhere.

I would argue that you first have to win in the off-season before you can win in the regular season. I'd also argue that to a large degree, the regular season is the measurement tool for how much you won or lost in the off-season. For example, you might think you won a big off-season victory when you drafted Player X. But how good does X look when he plays in the NFL?

There were a series of off-season victories we needed to achieve in order to become a legitimate Super Bowl contender. Some of the positions were linebacker, #2 WR, and above all, quarterback. We appear to have achieved some of those needed off-season victories. But quarterback is still a huge question mark. Until that question mark is replaced with a legitimate top-10 QB, the Bills will not be a realistic Super Bowl contender.

But who seriously expected this team to go 11-5 or 12-4? With 50% of the 2012 roster gutted and with a coaching staff and roster awash with rookies, we knew there would be ups and downs. So far the ups haven't been that high and the downs haven't been too low. Is that good or bad? Probably good. We've been in every game, and after we expected most games to be a toss up, that's precisely what we've gotten, down to the inch.

The Bills were perfect yesterday! We will never lose again!

Oh man, did you see that first down run Fred had to help close out the game?? He did it basically on ONE leg!! We should trade him while his value is high. Imagine what he could do with two legs...

We won a TOUGH division game on road which has been a RARITY for numerous years with a 4th string QB and our 2 best weapons on O, our RB;s both hobbled. Considering the situation, and CJ being completely ineffective and NEEDS to rest the ankle cuz he game is so reliant on cut backs and just cant burst off those cuts and doesnt trust the ankle. Freddy is more a between tackles runner and his injury is easier to play with and has more heart than i think ANY player out there, on BOTH teams every single week. Yet, he is not as effective as he could be. Stevie was banged up and dolphins have a very solid D.

I thought both FJ and Stevie showed a lot of heart yesterday, because lord knows they are both not 100% by any stretch. Stevie made a number of good "extra effort" moves to keep drives alive. He'll never have top-flight speed or hands but he is a terrific complement to Woods and I think this could be a great receiving corps once Goodwin gets more into it, Graham improves, and maybe a guy like Easley gets some plays.

there's not a lot of domination going on in the NFL right now. before week 7, 70% of the games were within 7 points in the 4th quarter.

Exactly what I was going to add - how many dominating performances were there yesterday? Did the 7 - 0 Chiefs dominate their way to a win? How about the formerly 6 - 0 / unstoppable juggernaut known as the Broncos? OK, SD dominated Jax, but who couldn't? :D

Again, TBD is really starting to remind me of Louis CK - everything is amazing, nobody is happy. In our case "amazing" is perhaps too strong of a phrase, but have a little patience and let's see where we end up this year...

you missed my point... we didn't dominate Miami.

True, not dominant in any way. Way more NFL games are won in similar fashion to yesterdays Bills win than by domination. Most NFL games are close, with a few critical plays being the difference. Even good teams aren't going to dominate a 16 game schedule. They will just make a few more good plays than their opponent. We've seen many a Bills team wilt in the final quarter at MIA.I'm happy with a win in a game that we are essentially outgunned in. Practice squad QB in 3rd start, 2 peg-legged RB's, a DB lineup that doesn't strike fear in QB's hearts, etc. We will be favored in few of our upcoming games, so any win while our potential franchise QB is out is a good one.

From the tone of most threads it seems like we lost yesterday. I swear we won. Personally, I don't care how either.

A win is a win is a win. And they won it the way they will be winning with this coaching staff. Pressure defense, turnovers plus run the ball. Win the turnover batter 3 to 1 and run the ball for 150 yes. This is the formula. Big plays will be given up and penalties will happen, but this is what we bought into. This is not Wanny-ball. This is balls out defense for better and worse.

I am not sure if I would characterize myself as cynical, but I have learned to temper my expectations and take the good with the bad, knowing that the bad is never that far around the corner.

Also, I was making BBQ and birthday cake yesterday during the game, so I wasn't riveted to the screen.

I'm just saying that any team with a starter at QB who was on the practice squad last month should probably be subject to lowered expectations.

With that in mind, I'm enjoying the ride more. I am noticing the little things Fred Jackson does well. I am more versed in the rules. I am more baffled by strange calls or the way refs will sometimes insert themselves into the game -- as they did yesterday.

A win is a win is a win. And they won it the way they will be winning with this coaching staff. Pressure defense, turnovers plus run the ball. Win the turnover batter 3 to 1 and run the ball for 150 yes. This is the formula. Big plays will be given up and penalties will happen, but this is what we bought into. This is not Wanny-ball. This is balls out defense for better and worse.

A win is a win is a win, yes. But sometimes those wins reveal your ceiling (Dick Jauron) and sometimes those wins point to potential to do even more. I sincerely believe we're in the latter category because there are stretches of dominating play and subsequent lapses / room for improvement.

Thad Lewis at QB. I don't even know what "string " I would call him. A hobbled backfield with our best guy barely getting on the field. No wonder the offense looks like crap. Our defense stepped up and made winning plays when they had to. A clutch sack and fumble which is usually something that happens to us not for us for once. Nice win for a team and especially the D that is showing signs of eventually being very good. From my perspective anywho.