Notes From The Republican Civil War

Tiberius

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.washingto...e110_story.html

And in Tennessee the Tea Party looks to be up for another defeat at the hands of the establishment. Interesting article that ties a lot of history into the present voting patterns.

That's silly and you know it

OK, put up or shut up. In what way does the ACA address the cost of health care? Be specific.

• 2 weeks later...

Tea Party trash takes another hit!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/06/us/politics/tea-party-republican-loses-alabama-runoff.html?hp&_r=0

MOBILE, Ala. — It took a flood of campaign donations from the business community and the backing of a large part of the Republican establishment, but Bradley Byrne, a lawyer and former state senator, successfully fought off a Tea Party-supported rival on Tuesday to become the Republican candidate for a House special election here in coastal Alabama

In debates, Mr. Byrne, who ran unsuccessfully for governor in 2010, spoke in level tones about infrastructure projects he wanted to bring to the district, while Mr. Young stuck to fiery but largely general grievances against Washington and the Obama administration. Mr. Byrne painted a happy picture of the district’s good times ahead; Mr. Young lamented the “end of a Western Christian empire.”

:blink:

oops........................................lol

Escape in Alabama

By Quin Hillyer

In the midst of the understandable national focus on the governors’ races in Virginia and New Jersey, it has been the establishment media outlets more than conservatives which have paid at least some attention to the Republican primary runoff in a special election for Congress in southern Alabama. Outlet after outlet forced the same template onto the runoff here: “Establishment” vs. “Tea Party,” with the Establishment supposedly represented by longtime local/state officeholder Bradley Byrne while the Tea Party supposedly was represented by “businessman” Dean Young. Byrne won a tight (and harshly negative, on both sides) campaign yesterday, 52-48, which the national media template is portraying as a rebuke to the Tea Party.

The template is bogus.

I live down here. I was a candidate in the race: With a foreshortened campaign period and no organization to start with (but with wonderful help from friends like Citizens United, Rick Santorum, Morton Blackwell, and Mark Levin, to name just a few), I finished a reasonably close fourth out of nine Republican candidates. I obviously know this terrain rather intimately.

{snip}

Dean Young is a forceful advocate for his beliefs, and is undoubtedly a conservative. The question is whether his near-perpetual scowl would have presented conservatism in a good light to a national audience. Good people came down on both sides of that question. But they did so entirely without regard to “Tea Party” status. If Byrne, as expected, wins the general election on December 17 against Democrat Burton LeFlore, conservatives should find themselves quite pleased with his service.

Remember when there was that GOP civil war and the country wanted nothing to do with those incompetent teabaggers?

Yeah...not so much any more.

The first federal government shutdown in 17 years wreaked havoc over the GOP brand last month, sinking Republican approval and boosting Democrats ahead of the 2014 mid-term elections.

A new Quinnipiac University survey released Wednesday showed Democratic momentum all but reversed amid the embarassing fiasco that has been the Obamacare rollout, with both parties now tied on the generic ballot at 39 percent. As a measure of the public's record-low disapproval of Congress, another 23 percent of registered voters said they would prefer another candidate or abstain entirely.

The survey signals a dramatic reversal in the aftermath of the shutdown fight, forced by Republicans in an effort to defund the Affordable Care Act, when Democrats held a 9 percentage point (NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey) and 8 percentage point (CNN survey) lead over Republicans on the generic ballot.

In even more bad news for Democrats, the same Quinnipiac poll released Tuesday afternoon recorded perhaps the worst job approval numbers of Barack Obama's presidency -- with 54 percent saying they disapproved of his job handling, while just 39 percent said they approved.

Obamacare! It's the progressive gift that will just keep giving.

• 3 weeks later...

More news from the Republican Democrat Civil War.

WH and Dem Senators Meet Again Because WH has "s--t the bed."

“I know these guys are nervous as hell,” said a second senior Democratic aide. “I mean, all of their jobs are on the line because this is the thing making the biggest waves lately. It’s a nightmare.”

The aide said the meeting, which took place late last month in Bennet’s Senate office, was aimed at making sure the White House communicated more with the committee.

Asked if it would have been better if the White House had reached out to the DSCC rather than the other way around, the aide familiar with the meeting expressed satisfaction with the way things played out.

A third aide said of the White House: “They get it.”

The discussion, which was not limited to healthcare, had produced results, the first senior aide said.

The White House has “increased communication” and been in regular contact with senators with both data related to the healthcare law, and in coordinating messaging.

“Within 24 hours, there was a good response,” the aide said.

The meeting, which was also attended by Bennet’s chief of staff Jonathan Davidson and DSCC Executive Director Guy Cecil, is part of a larger effort by McDonough to reach out to Senate Democrats.

He has made frequent treks to Capitol Hill and attended two recent Senate Democratic caucus meetings. He has also met with some senators privately to discuss their concerns.

Anger among Democrats over the rollout of ObamaCare is deep.

The third aide, who works for a senator up for reelection in 2014, said the White House had “s--t the bed.”

Now, the staffer said, the president’s sinking approval ratings are an additional problem.

It’s ironic that many people here focus so much on the so-called GOP’s dysfunctional beholdenness to extremism, when — in both 2008 and 2012 — GOP presidential-primary voters chose “electable” sober moderates over fire-breathing ideological crowd-pleasers.

The Democrats, meanwhile, in 2008 chose the ideologue their hearts desired over the more qualified, more middle-of-the-road alternative . . . and ended up winning the whole shebang.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not saying that nominating a harder-right ticket in 2016 is necessarily a prescription for victory (what happens then will depend less on the identity of the GOP nominees than on how sick the electorate is of Obamacare and other aspects of the economic status quo).

I just seems rather unfair for “conservatives,” who largely opposed the nomination of both McCain and Romney, to take the rap for the GOP defeats in 2008 and 2012.

Edited by B-Man

It’s ironic that many people here focus so much on the so-called GOP’s dysfunctional beholdenness to extremism, when — in both 2008 and 2012 — GOP presidential-primary voters chose “electable” sober moderates over fire-breathing ideological crowd-pleasers.

The Democrats, meanwhile, in 2008 chose the ideologue their hearts desired over the more qualified, more middle-of-the-road alternative . . . and ended up winning the whole shebang.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m not saying that nominating a harder-right ticket in 2016 is necessarily a prescription for victory (what happens then will depend less on the identity of the GOP nominees than on how sick the electorate is of Obamacare and other aspects of the economic status quo).

I just seems rather unfair for “conservatives,” who largely opposed the nomination of both McCain and Romney, to take the rap for the GOP defeats in 2008 and 2012.

.[/size

Kinda like how Bush can simultaneously be dumb enough to choke on his own saliva but smart enough to manipulate the entire world. ...

Its all how the media portrays an issue. And unfortunately republicans suck at sticking up for themselves and let the democrats and media paint them how they want.

OK, put up or shut up. In what way does the ACA address the cost of health care? Be specific.

It provides funding to investigate corruption

How is Obama more of a left winger than Clinton? You are just saying that because Obama won

You guys don't remember how Obama promised to spend a trillion dollars investigating health care corruption in an effort to bring down health care costs by a trillion dollars?

I remember promises to expand programs for both mental health and education, neither of which has happened, clearly.