R.I.P. Bum Phillips

I'm sorry to hear that for Wade. At the end of the day, our last good coach was Wade. I know all of his mistakes, but he helped create a top defense, and we competed during those years. More importantly, everyone who ever knew Wade has said he was one of the classiest and nicest guys in the NFL. I hate to hear he lost his dad. I know just from interviews how they were very close.

Wade also had a ton of talent on that DL (Mount Washington, Pat Williams, Bruce Smith) and good CBs in Winfield.

Phillips picked up the nickname Bum as a child when his younger sister couldn't pronounce brother correctly and it sounded like bum. He embraced the nickname and was quoted as saying: "I don't mind being called Bum, just as long as you don't put a 'you' in front of it."

"Football is a game of failure," Phillips was quoted as saying. "You fail all the time, but you aren't a failure until you start blaming someone else."

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-10-19/former-oilers-coach-bum-phillips-dies-at-90

Always loved this quote of his:

(referring to Miami Dolphins coach Don Shula) "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n

That was a great quote indded.

Bum was a good coach and his Oiler teams of 70's were very good.

I also think his son Wade was a good football coach, especially on the defensive side of the game. Classy guy.

RIP Bum.

Edited by Bob in STL

I remember that epic AFC championship game in the 79 season against the Steelers. I really thought the oilers were on the brink of being champions despite losing. Instead the following year they fell to pieces with Ken Stabler against the Raiders. After the Bills the Oilers were my favorite team of that era.

I remember that epic AFC championship game in the 79 season against the Steelers. I really thought the oilers were on the brink of being champions despite losing. Instead the following year they fell to pieces with Ken Stabler against the Raiders. After the Bills the Oilers were my favorite team of that era.

Wasn't that the Mike Renfro game where it should have been a TD, but there was no replay in the NFL?

Wasn't that the Mike Renfro game where it should have been a TD, but there was no replay in the NFL?

Funny how almost 34 years later I remember the controversy about that play as well although I couldn't remember the exact way it happened. Good thing there is youtube! Seeing it again what a terrible call that was by the refs. Oilers were robbed of a crucial TD in a very close game. They probably would have beaten Ferragamo's Rams in the Superbowl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gCFx5jC_q4