Cordy Glenn vs Jonathan Martin

1B4IDie

Glenn is better but Mario will be invisible like most games.

Mario is invisible in most games? He has 8 sacks and a ton of pressures and hurries the whole season. If he stays on this pace, he'll have 21-22 sacks which is the record by strahan. And yes, there is no competitio, cordy is going to be an excellent left tackle for many years.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is Pro Football Focus's analysis of Miami's O-Line v. our Pass Rush:

Clabo and Martin vs. Williams and Hughes

When the Dolphins let Jake Long walk in free agency and put Jonathan Martin in as the starting left tackle many people expected him to be the weak link of the offensive line. So far he's been having issues in run blocking (-7.2), along with some ups and downs as pass blocker, but has still managed to have a positive grade in that area (+2.8). The liability isn't at left tackle as expected, but at right tackle where Tyson Clabo is having a rough season, to say the least. Among the worst OTs in pass blocking, he has given up 23 total pressures — 12 of them in the past two games, grading out at -5.8. After years of ranking in the Top 15, things will have to change a lot if he doesn't want to end up in the other end of the rankings this year.

In front of the the Dolphins' O-line will be two Top 10 3-4 outside linebackers in Pass Rush Productivity – Jerry Hughes, third at 14.3, and Mario Williams, ninth at 11.6. It'll be interesting to see how the Bills use them, as they have moved around and rushed the passer from both sides of the line. Considering how Clabo and Martin are playing it should be expected to get more favorable matchups in the left side of the defense, where Williams has been more successful recording six sacks, two hits and 14 hurries in 138 snaps. On the other side, Hughes will provide a good challenge to Martin as he's coming from his best games, grading at +3.3 in pass rush in the past two games.

If you want the rest of their breakdowns here you go: https://www.profootb...olphins-week-7/

Thanks for the info!

Martin's weakness is his 'weakness.' Get ready for the bull-rush.

I watched Jamie Blatnick eat Jonathan Martin alive when Ok. St. played Stanford in their bowl game a few years back. The same Jamie Blatnick that got released by the Bills. I also saw Nick Perry from USC roll him over a couple times bringing pressure off the edge when they were in college. He's the reason Tannehill has been under duress pretty much every game this season. The Dolphins OL as a whole is not that good. Our defense should perform well.

I don't know anything about Martin. Has he really been bad for them? How so?

Tannenhill is getting sacked at very high rate..Martin's a big boy, but gets beat clean way too often and lacks that mean streak u would want from a highly drafted Tackle.

I think Mario will line-up over RT Tyson Clabo, who has been almost Colin Brown-like this season. Looks like spending $100M+ in guaranteed money alone in the off-season doesn't get you as far as it used to.

I'm thinking same thing. We do move Mario around alot and having Hughes rushing on other side vs Martin would still be advantage. This way Tannenhill SEES the pressure coming and either rushes his throw or trie to roll other way where Hughes can finish him off. Hughes has played his best 2 games as a Bill last 2 weeks. Hoping it continues!

If I was mike pettine I like that idea.

Move Dareus over Martin a few times on 3rd and passing downs. Put Mario to the right side or staggered Off Dareus. People do not realize how quick Dareus is, but he can move. Blind side Dareus scares me.

I just wish Marcellosaurus would go all Bruce Smith in his approach to training and conditioning. He may be quick, but he looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy** to me, and I can't help thinking if he trained more seriously he'd be quicker.

**OK, maybe the Pillsbury Doughboy in Ghostbusters?

I just wish Marcellosaurus would go all Bruce Smith in his approach to training and conditioning. He may be quick, but he looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy** to me, and I can't help thinking if he trained more seriously he'd be quicker.

**OK, maybe the Pillsbury Doughboy in Ghostbusters?

Stay Puft.

Buy Marcel a stair master and ship it to his house.

Thanks for the info!

If you like ProFootballFocus.com and you're a baseball then you should check out this website:

http://www.fangraphs.com

It's a sabermetrics fan's "wet dream"--links to tons of articles and websites that are full of enough "analytics" to make your head spin! Regardless of whether or not they work (seems to me like they work more often than not but I'm not gonna debate that), the stats are fun to check out. It will be interesting to see them evolve in football and whether or not they work as well as they do in baseball...

Edited by biggerdaddynj

If you like ProFootballFocus.com and you're a baseball then you should check out this website:

http://www.fangraphs.com

It's a sabermetrics fan's "wet dream"--links to tons of articles and websites that are full of enough "analytics" to make your head spin! Regardless of whether or not they work (seems to me like they work more often than not but I'm not gonna debate that), the stats are fun to check out. It will be interesting to see them evolve in football and whether or not they work as well as they do in baseball...

Not sure if I like PFF. But then again, I'm not a baseball.

You know i really do hope Mario and the rest of the D get after Tanny just so BB can try to stand up for him.

BB weird fascination with mid west QB's is uncanny.

"We should have drafted Landry Jones" ~ BB ....................... :nana:

Glenn vs. Martin: this is a race that has never been close. Among all of Buddy's solid OL moves, this was his best. And he was out there with "Hell no he ain't a guard" when the popular opinion was that Cordy would never be a successful tackle. Kudos to Buddy on getting us a rock of a LT for the next several years. Oh and Jonathan Martin is a weakling.

Dont be so sure - we may not resign him. Thats our MO.

Not sure if I like PFF. But then again, I'm not a baseball.

Touché, touché (that's why you're a "Hall of Famer" and I'm merely a struggling "Rookie"!!!). That said, from an "analytics perspective" I think my proofreading is still in the "+" range (I will begin to analyze the grammatical errors and typos from my past postings in order to predict the error rate in my future postings!). BTW, it's a a good thing you're not a baseball, they're born in Central America (moved up in the world and no longer hail from Haiti: http://raysrenegade.mlblogs.com/2012/01/29/did-you-know-rawlings-mlb-baseballs-are-not-made-in-the-u-s/); are stitched up at birth, forced to leave their homes and immigrate to the United States (legally as opposed to counterfeit designer jeans); and upon arrival are beaten to hell before they're discarded by society (though life as a Bills fan over the past thirty plus years has consisted of some awful beatings--the worst being an in-person mauling I witnessed at the hands of the "Dallas Cowpies" in SB XXVII--left in the 3rd Quarter because I was sick to my stomach!).

Edited by biggerdaddynj

Touché, touché (that's why you're a "Hall of Famer" and I'm merely a struggling "Rookie"!!!). That said, from an "analytics perspective" I think my proofreading is still in the "+" range (I will begin to analyze the grammatical errors and typos from my past postings in order to predict the error rate in my future postings!). BTW, it's a a good thing you're not a baseball, they're born in Central America (moved up in the world and no longer hail from Haiti: http://raysrenegade....ade-in-the-u-s/); are stitched up at birth, forced to leave their homes and immigrate to the United States (legally as opposed to counterfeit designer jeans); and upon arrival are beaten to hell before they're discarded by society (though life as a Bills fan over the past thirty plus years has consisted of some awful beatings--the worst being an in-person mauling I witnessed at the hands of the "Dallas Cowpies" in SB XXVII--left in the 3rd Quarter because I was sick to my stomach!).

Just having a little fun. But still, I'm not sure what PFF's analytics are really worth.

:lol:

I remember some posters furiously declaring the Bills should cough up $10+/yr for him.

Yep. When the Bills failed to sign Clabo there was the predictable uninformed overreaction.

I was happy the Bills pursued Clabo and disappointed when he re-signed with Atlanta but I knew that he had manipulated us to get the best deal with the Falcons and didn't really want to come here. Because of that I was at peace with what happened.

At the time of Erik Pears' ascendency I said he could be the second coming of Tyson Clabo. They were both big guys who were undrafted, and took about 5 years and 5 teams before they learned how to play O-line in the NFL.

This is a very common story and one that some of the experts around here should keep in mind when judging how worthy some players are.

However in some people's minds, Clabo will always be a better player than Pears because Pears is on the Bills and Clabo didn't come here.

During the same offseason there was a big groundswell here for the Bills to pursue Dallas OT Doug Free. Like Clabo, Free has regressed and Dallas decided to draft his replacement and move him to the right tackle.

That same offseason many people here wanted the Bills to pursue TEs Zach Miller and Kevin Boss, myself included. Miller has unfortunately been derailed by a serious knee injury but I predict that he'll become the great tight end in Seattle that he was before his injury.

As for Boss, he signed with the Raiders for 4 years and $16 million. The Bills likely knew when he was a free agent that he was already a concussion risk. As it turned out Boss lasted less than one year with the Raiders and less than one year with the Chiefs and is now out of football. Concussions have probably ended his career.

The jury is out on Cordy Glenn and Jonathan Martin (and Riley Reiff for that matter) because players can easily regress or improve based on their coaching and work ethic. But when I was touting Cordy Glenn as the best tackle in his draft class I was also saying that Martin needed to get much stronger and that he projected to being a finesse tackle a la D'Brick.

I'm real pleased with Cordy's development. He doesn't quite have the feet of the very greatest tackles but he has good feet plus ridiculous wingspan and straight-line speed for a 345 pound man. He can be beaten to the outside and still push his man out of the play. It doesn't have to be textbook. Cordy also has a mean streak and seems to have a really good work ethic. I still love Cordy and hope the Bills can re-sign him when the time comes.

Oct 1 2013 - LT Jonathan Martin has allowed four sacks and eight quarterback hits and seems to struggle at times. Overall, he has been OK, but clearly allowing four sacks in four games points to pass blocking issues.

Martin is a Right Tackle playing out of postion in my opinion.

Clabo was much better with Atlanta and has a had a major droppoff.'

Hence the struggles and scheming around this pass blocking nightmare for the Fishes.

Pettine will absolutely pressure those two guys.

If i were either of them i would be very concerned about what Bills are bringing.

Joe Philbin has his hands full about now with his O line

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

An unusual situation is unfolding in Miami, where Dolphins right tackle Jonathan Martin has left the team after suffering an "emotional breakdown" this week.

NFL Media's Jeff Darlington reported Wednesday on NFL Network's "Around the League Live" that Martin is currently seeking help with his family after an incident at the team's cafeteria, according to team sources.