Did the Bills really trade Marshawn Lynch for a 4th and a 5th?

I disagree with this completely because he is still one more screwup from being suspended for a significant period of time.

except hes already potentially made that mistake. we will see how the DUI trial plays out.

Lynch was obviously not the same player with the Bills he is now with the Seahawks. He is much leaner now and has stayed out of trouble not to mention being on a good team with what always seems like a very good offensive line

Trading Lynch was the right decision at the time

but he hasnt even stayed out of trouble the case is just pending still.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with this completely because he is still one more screwup from being suspended for a significant period of time.

Just like a slew of other pro bowlers.

You don't trade away your best players for peanuts because they might get in trouble some day.

AJ Green or J Jones for Dareus too

How did I forget that one. Everyone who knows me know how much I love Dareus. It all starts with I thought he was overrated that year. And after his rookie year I saw him at my job (the airport) and asked him, you are going to give me 10 sacks this year right. Just joking. He looked me right in my eye and said he was getting no less than 14. Well I'm still waiting. I didn't know he meant stretched out over his career!!!

I can tell you from talking to Marshawn off the cuff, he was not ready for the game at the NFL level at that time. He said it to me. I know his mom aunts and family. They flew here all the time. He was just not ready to be so far away from home yet. Marshawn was a bruiser who wanted to be a shifty runner loke he had been in college and high school. For god sakes he ran behind derrick dockery langston walker and melvin fowler, none of whom are still in the league. How can you expect someone to produce monster numbers with that line. He often got hit 2-3 yards deep in the backfield? He danced? Yeah because he had that mentality. Had it not been for Chan's system who knows what Spiller would have become. Would Jackson have had a MVP caliber season? Who knows. That system under Jauron was not beneficial to anyone. We needed a coach that formed a system around player strengths, not ran a system thatb was non-compatible with his players.

so that glazer reported he was being shopped then reported that he wasnt within that quote doesnt make you question it at all?

the saints got A LOT of questions about why they didnt pull the trigger. its possible the front office decided to float out "we tried" at the expense of buddys reputation.

How much more proof do you need to identify a moron?

Lynch is a special runner, and we never used him right.

But we had Spiller and Jackson. No way we could've used all three effectively. We should've gotten more, but trading him at the time was the right thing. He was the odd man out.

Man, do i agree with that first sentence. So may times I watched that kid make yards in Buffalo with him dragging 2, 3 defenders on him.

That's just it, Lynch would have been a perfect fit in a run first attack, even with Jackson & Spiller.

Marshawn as the lead back to wear the defense down, Spiller as a change of pace back in a 2 back set so they never know which is getting the ball. Then utilize FJax as the 3rd down back which would elongate his career quite a bit.

The Bills could have easily had the #1 rushing team in the NFL and let whichever QB they had just manage the game. This would have made life so much easier for any QB behind center for the Buffalo Bills. Like I stated earlier had the Bills hired thechin or Martyball there is no doubt in my mind this would have happened, and this never ending rebuilding would have stopped.

How much more proof do you need to identify a moron?

im not doubting it was handled less than ideal but the post was pointing at a report that is saying "remember when i said he was being shopped earlier, turns out he wasnt being shopped (thats an odd direction for that topic to be reversed - did his source make up phone calls? normally its a denial being admitted to being false) despite being traded, and that the bills declined a package that they thought would be worth more in order to send him to seattle (who has been on record as saying they were persuing the trade for weeks - not that any gms knew he was on the market).

did we get the most value possible? possibly not. did we secretly ship him to seattle while ignoring other options and telling teams he wasnt available? THAT would seem really strange, even from someone you might consider an idiot.

Edited by NoSaint

The Bills got Tank Carder and Chris Hairston with the Lynch trade picks.

Discuss.

Who they got with the draft picks is irrelevant...thats on the FO on how they used them. However, at the time we traded him, he was a guy who was one ill timed burp from a year long suspension, had not been over whelming as a Bill RB anyway, and was easily expendable with a young explosive back in Spiller and a strong inside runner in Freddie.

Bills made the right choice at the time...the question was never about talent, but whether he fit in with the current team at the time and game plan. Bills already have a great RB tandem...this team would be no better or worse if you plug Lynch into Freddies role...his departure has had no negative impact on the team in terms of losing him as a player.

One can argue though that maybe we should have or could have gotten more for him, but even that is debatable because of the off field issues Lynch had gone through and the suspension risk based on his dumb decisions. He seems to have really matured there in Seattle and grown into a great player, but he was not this player when we traded him. Maybe we could have gotten a little more for him, but I doubt much more. I have no problem with this move. That is like the Rams being pissed they traded us EJ, Kiko, and Goodwin for Tavon...at the time of the trade, those draft picks were a fair trade value...but I promise you Rams would MUCH rather have them back now given the performance of Kiko and Goodwin (they wouldnt take EJ, but they could have grabbed Eifert, Hopkins, or more D help at 16).

Who they got with the draft picks is irrelevant...thats on the FO on how they used them. However, at the time we traded him, he was a guy who was one ill timed burp from a year long suspension, had not been over whelming as a Bill RB anyway, and was easily expendable with a young explosive back in Spiller and a strong inside runner in Freddie.

Bills made the right choice at the time...the question was never about talent, but whether he fit in with the current team at the time and game plan. Bills already have a great RB tandem...this team would be no better or worse if you plug Lynch into Freddies role...his departure has had no negative impact on the team in terms of losing him as a player.

One can argue though that maybe we should have or could have gotten more for him, but even that is debatable because of the off field issues Lynch had gone through and the suspension risk based on his dumb decisions. He seems to have really matured there in Seattle and grown into a great player, but he was not this player when we traded him. Maybe we could have gotten a little more for him, but I doubt much more. I have no problem with this move. That is like the Rams being pissed they traded us EJ, Kiko, and Goodwin for Tavon...at the time of the trade, those draft picks were a fair trade value...but I promise you Rams would MUCH rather have them back now given the performance of Kiko and Goodwin (they wouldnt take EJ, but they could have grabbed Eifert, Hopkins, or more D help at 16).

Very well said. From both a football perspective and a team building perspective.

Why we all just can't be happy that Lynch grew up and is finding success on another team without the compulsion to accuse the FO of being clueless, is beyond me.

GO BILLS!!!

That's nothing but revisionist history IMO. Lynch got into a couple scrapes, but, the truth of the matter is he was traded because Chanix wanted a shiny new toy. They didn't give a rats ass that the Bills were stacked at only one position at the time. They didn't care that they were switching defense. They chose a player in the first round of their first draft who plays a position they didn't have a need at. It was and it is a stupid, egotistical, arrogant pick. And before everyone jumps down my throat about Spiller...I like the guy, but it doesn't change the facts.

What he said. I said it was an insane move at the time and time has borne me out for sure on this one. Note that Willis McGahee is still playing as well. Rather than get some players in positions of real need ...like a quarterback or offensive tackle for instance we were fixated on CJ.

Agree. He ran like garbage here; all he did was shuffle his feet and dance around, instead of making a cut and hitting the hole. Lynch would dance around for a bunch of 2 yard carries; then Freddy would promptly come in and consistently rip off 6 yard runs.

He was not good here. Made sense to unload him. I like the guy and am glad he finally figured out how to stop dancing and start running.

why didn't our RB coach coach him up?

What he said. I said it was an insane move at the time and time has borne me out for sure on this one. Note that Willis McGahee is still playing as well.

So what. Willis is playing on his 4th team since entering the league.

The only reason he's on the Browns is because they traded Trent Richardson. Otherwise, Willis would be still sitting at home twiddling his thumbs.

im not doubting it was handled less than ideal but the post was pointing at a report that is saying "remember when i said he was being shopped earlier, turns out he wasnt being shopped (thats an odd direction for that topic to be reversed - did his source make up phone calls? normally its a denial being admitted to being false) despite being traded, and that the bills declined a package that they thought would be worth more in order to send him to seattle (who has been on record as saying they were persuing the trade for weeks - not that any gms knew he was on the market).

did we get the most value possible? possibly not. did we secretly ship him to seattle while ignoring other options and telling teams he wasnt available? THAT would seem really strange, even from someone you might consider an idiot.

Lets not forget that Seattle wanted to make a trade for Lynch before the 2010 draft, and didn't Seattle offer a 2011 3rd round pick at that time? It was also rumored that the Packers and Eagles were interested in Lynch.

Anyway, from what I recall from other sources at that point in time It was reported that they knew a trade with Seattle was going to happen and Saints GM Mickey Loomis was trying like crazy to even talk to Buddy Nix., and Nix wouldn't take the call. Something personal between Nix and Loomis? Anyway, I looked and couldn't find the link to either story.

http://www.buffaloru...two-draft-picks

In my view the Seahawks hoodwinked old swamp gas, a 2007 1st round pick, #12 overall for a 2011 4th & 5th. (15 GS in 2012, 1590 yards, and 11 TD's 5.0 YPC avg.) But whatever, after reading this thread most fans don't care.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Trading Lynch made marketing sense because there was a large vocal contingent of Bills fans that just hated him for being a thug (hit and run 2008, misdemeanor gun charge 2009 in L.A.) and keeping him there was a strong chance of a long suspension - just looking at his on field talent he is my preferred type of RB a grinding tackle breaker who has very few negative plays, his pro play has surprised me in that he has shown much more power but is less slippery and has not really shown the receiving prowess I expected after watching him in college. For the "what if crowd" you can always question what if we had kept Lynch and taken someone like Demaryius Thomas instead of Spiller.

why didn't our RB coach coach him up?

Career YPC:

Spiller 5.2 (#1 all time in franchise history but he's a dime a dozen according to some) http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13203/cj-spiller

Jackson 4.5 (including a better ypc on the same teams as Lynch) http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10195/fred-jackson

Lynch 4.2 (bonus points for people struck with car and guns & grass!!!)

Willis 4.1 http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4481/willis-mcgahee

The stuff people cry about!!! Can someone please make a fresh Whitner over Ngata thread?

Don't you people know that you become a star and certainly make the playoffs once you leave Buffalo? Here's a list:

Marshawn Lynch

Donte Whitner

Lee Evans

Jason Peters

Jim Leonhard (with NYJ AND Bal!)

I used to think this was just coincidental fodder, but maybe there's something to this. Maybe dudes get a breath of fresh air once they're out of the NFLs version of a septic tank...

Good post! I'd like to add that another issue (or maybe part of #2) is that the Bills depressed his value by taking Spiller. It was a problem of their own making. If they knew they wanted Spiller, they should have looked to deal Lynch before the draft. (For reference, there were 2 RBs drafted after Spiller in the 1st and 4 in the 2nd that year -- good chance at least 1 of those 6 teams would've rather payed a 2nd or 3rd for Lynch, or at least what Seattle gave up.) On top of that, Nix struck me as a pretty bad negotiator as well. His tenure as GM is a pretty good argument against hiring a 70+ year old "rookie".

Jay Glazer reported at the time that the team was not actively shopping Lynch, despite having a healthy FJ and newly drafted CJ. Why would a team go 3 deep at RB at the expense of other positions? This move illustrates the reactionary moves the team makes, most recently in the form of how they addressed the QB position. Decisions at OBD over multiple GM's have been isolated and unable to anticipate the cause and effect those decisions will have.

Lets not forget that Seattle wanted to make a trade for Lynch before the 2010 draft, and didn't Seattle offer a 2011 3rd round pick at that time? It was also rumored that the Packers and Eagles were interested in Lynch.

Anyway, from what I recall from other sources at that point in time It was reported that they knew a trade with Seattle was going to happen and Saints GM Mickey Loomis was trying like crazy to even talk to Buddy Nix., and Nix wouldn't take the call. Something personal between Nix and Loomis? Anyway, I looked and couldn't find the link to either story.

http://www.buffaloru...two-draft-picks

In my view the Seahawks hoodwinked old swamp gas, a 2007 1st round pick, #12 overall for a 2011 4th & 5th. (15 GS in 2012, 1590 yards, and 11 TD's 5.0 YPC avg.) But whatever, after reading this thread most fans don't care.

I can say as a local new orleanian (and well familiar with the cities reaction to marshawn knocking the saints out of the playoffs while the saints had pierre thomas, reggie bush, and chris ivory hurt -- street free agent ladell betts knocked out and fellow street free agent julius jones as the leading rusher against the hawks backed up by bills cut joique bell who was signed in January......) that i do not think the "bills refused to return calls from loomis" is an actual thing.

it really seems like the worst case scenario thats been portrayed is that we missed on a 3rd rounder from either the defending or next super bowl champs (ie expected LATE picks) and instead ended up with a 4 and 5 from a team that finish 7-9 even with him, but happened to make it to the second round of the playoffs pushing the picks much later.

if that is something worth begrudging for years, then have at it.

Edited by NoSaint

Career YPC:

Spiller 5.2 (#1 all time in franchise history but he's a dime a dozen according to some) http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13203/cj-spiller

Jackson 4.5 (including a better ypc on the same teams as Lynch) http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10195/fred-jackson

Lynch 4.2 (bonus points for people struck with car and guns & grass!!!)

Willis 4.1 http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/4481/willis-mcgahee

The stuff people cry about!!! Can someone please make a fresh Whitner over Ngata thread?

What was lynch's ypc when in buffalo? I bet it was less than that even.

That's nothing but revisionist history IMO. Lynch got into a couple scrapes, but, the truth of the matter is he was traded because Chanix wanted a shiny new toy. They didn't give a rats ass that the Bills were stacked at only one position at the time. They didn't care that they were switching defense. They chose a player in the first round of their first draft who plays a position they didn't have a need at. It was and it is a stupid, egotistical, arrogant pick. And before everyone jumps down my throat about Spiller...I like the guy, but it doesn't change the facts.

What part do you think the fact that Fred Jackson out performed Lynch game in and game out played? Lynch wasn't exactly setting the world on fire here. The fact that he was a great RB while in Buffalo is the revisionist history, IMO.