Did the Bills really trade Marshawn Lynch for a 4th and a 5th?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lynch was headed for disaster while playing for the Bills with two major run-ins with the law. So while it looks like a terrible trade now there was some rationale to it at the time. Maybe the change of scenery and the support system in Seattle helped him get his head straight? And from what I know he's kept out of trouble since. But no doubt it looks like a bad trade now based on performance.

That's the reason when people were critical of Cleveland's trade with Indy, I thought Cleveland made out pretty great, they traded a player that no longer fit their system and got back some of their investment. We gave up on lynch and his antics and got little for him, now he is one of the best RBs in the NFL and would have been a great compliment to Spiller. Oh well.

He was also one more screwup from being suspended for a significant period of time. Doing stupid stuff was becoming a regular thing with him at the time. It is easy to only remember part of the story.

It was a good trade at the time, given the chances he would be suspended were pretty high.

The Bills got Tank Carder and Chris Hairston with the Lynch trade picks.

Discuss.

Lynch was headed for disaster while playing for the Bills with two major run-ins with the law. So while it looks like a terrible trade now there was some rationale to it at the time. Maybe the change of scenery and the support system in Seattle helped him get his head straight? And from what I know he's kept out of trouble since. But no doubt it looks like a bad trade now based on performance.

That's nothing but revisionist history IMO. Lynch got into a couple scrapes, but, the truth of the matter is he was traded because Chanix wanted a shiny new toy. They didn't give a rats ass that the Bills were stacked at only one position at the time. They didn't care that they were switching defense. They chose a player in the first round of their first draft who plays a position they didn't have a need at. It was and it is a stupid, egotistical, arrogant pick. And before everyone jumps down my throat about Spiller...I like the guy, but it doesn't change the facts.

It was a bad trade at the time and it is a bad trade now. I remember coming on here and people doing "take whatever you can get" & "get that bum out of here" routine that we have become accustomed to. They LOVED the deal at the time.

It's the same people that say "trade Byrd for bus tires" and then he will go back to the Pro Bowl & those people will be the loudest to complain about it.

The bottom line is that you need to get equal value when making a trade. If there was not equal value for Lynch (or at least comparable) you wait it out. The same goes for Byrd. I have put it on here before but I was told the best offer was Minnesota's 4th. IMO, that would be a terrible trade. If they were to make it though so many people on this board would love it. In the middle of next year they will be irate that all that they got for Byrd was some backup LB special teamer. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The trade makes me so sick to this day I refuse to watch a Seattle game.

your really missing out, Seattle is the perfect team. Marshawn is a one man wrecking ball................and Russell Wilson is as cool as they come. Defense is loaded. Current bills have zero chance of beating the hawks.

That's nothing but revisionist history IMO. Lynch got into a couple scrapes, but, the truth of the matter is he was traded because Chanix wanted a shiny new toy. They didn't give a rats ass that the Bills were stacked at only one position at the time. They didn't care that they were switching defense. They chose a player in the first round of their first draft who plays a position they didn't have a need at. It was and it is a stupid, egotistical, arrogant pick. And before everyone jumps down my throat about Spiller...I like the guy, but it doesn't change the facts.

Could not possibly agree more...And the reality is once the Bills Drafted Spiller, Lynch was a goner...They were going to take what they could get and move on...Like you Beerball, I like Spiller...I've always like Spiller...I lived in Charlotte NC during his College career and followed the kid closely...But I was dead-set against the pick then, and I still think it was dumb now...That's not how you build a team...And I think the past 3 plus years have proven that much...

But anyway...If you're going to trade a guy like Lynch it's a good thing they still have Freddie and CJ...It could be worse...Got to keep moving on I guess... ;)

+1. Lynch was known as a hard runner and a tough tackler and a good teammate. The Bills also had Fred Jackson. There was no reason to panic.

That's the reason when people were critical of Cleveland's trade with Indy, I thought Cleveland made out pretty great, they traded a player that no longer fit their system and got back some of their investment. We gave up on lynch and his antics and got little for him, now he is one of the best RBs in the NFL and would have been a great compliment to Spiller. Oh well.

Like Freddy isn't?

Given where Lynch was at the time of the trade, the price was right. Hairston may yet prove to be a solid player.

Credit to Lynch for maturing and turning into the kind of pro he just wasn't when he was in Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!

This!

Am i missing something here? Dude had two run ins with the law when here, one where he had a hit and run..must likely cause he was big time liquored up.

He also has a DWI charge still pending out West, but he and his lawyer have been able to push the trial now for over 18 months. This guy is not a guy I want on the Bills. Not saying we all need all choir boys, but guys who have a hit and run and a DW plus a weapons chargeI are just screaming of getting in trouble again, possibly even killing someone when behind the wheel drunk again..

People gave the Pats* all kinds of chit for not seeing where Hernandez was heading...the Bills saw that with Lynch and acted...GOOD FOR THEM!

Edited by plenzmd1

Crazy aint it. And he has changed his running style.

Agree. He ran like garbage here; all he did was shuffle his feet and dance around, instead of making a cut and hitting the hole. Lynch would dance around for a bunch of 2 yard carries; then Freddy would promptly come in and consistently rip off 6 yard runs.

He was not good here. Made sense to unload him. I like the guy and am glad he finally figured out how to stop dancing and start running.

Am i missing something here? Dude had two run ins with the law when here, one where he had a hit and run..must likely cause he was big time liquored up.

He also has a DWI charge still pending out West, but he and his lawyer have been able to push the trial now for over 18 months. This guy is not a guy I want on the Bills. Not saying we all need all choir boys, but guys who have a hit and run and a DW plus a weapons chargeI are just screaming of getting in trouble again, possibly even killing someone when behind the wheel drunk again..

People gave the Pats* all kinds of chit for not seeing where Hernandez was heading...the Bills saw that with Lynch and acted...GOOD FOR THEM!

Remember the reports that he'd go into the bars on the Chippewa strip and order soft drinks because he brought his own booze? He had a ton of growing up to do when he was in Buffalo. It was a good thing to trade him.

GO BILLS!!!

A hit and run plus a weapons possession charge is a couple of scrapes? As also pointed out he has a pending DWI case that he's put off now. I wouldn't exactly call that scrapes. He's has problems with the law.

Saying all that, I hated to see him go.

It was a bad trade at the time and it is a bad trade now. I remember coming on here and people doing "take whatever you can get" & "get that bum out of here" routine that we have become accustomed to. They LOVED the deal at the time.

It's the same people that say "trade Byrd for bus tires" and then he will go back to the Pro Bowl & those people will be the loudest to complain about it.

The bottom line is that you need to get equal value when making a trade. If there was not equal value for Lynch (or at least comparable) you wait it out. The same goes for Byrd. I have put it on here before but I was told the best offer was Minnesota's 4th. IMO, that would be a terrible trade. If they were to make it though so many people on this board would love it. In the middle of next year they will be irate that all that they got for Byrd was some backup LB special teamer. Be careful what you wish for.

Lynch was coming off suspension and coming up on needing a new contract. The waiting period wasnt much longer and trade value was likely going down not up as his existing rookie deal ticked away.

Lynch has since had another arrest in Seattle that I'd be curious to see the current status of (ie might a suspension be looming at the cases close or has it been cleaned up already). Additionally from what I gather his back issues (though it's held up decently) are more serious than I think the average fan perceives (not his doctor so take it for what it's worth as third hand info cobbled together with some reports through the years)

We weren't going to franchise the guy so the standoff had an expiration date, unlike Byrd. As part of a three headed beast in the backfield he wasn't going to get the reps needed to up his value or get him to buy in to the team/city/situation.... Which may have meant more extracurriculars or not being in shape on gameday....

I hate that the situation went the direction it did, think we probably could've pushed for a little more value if we really played the hand perfectly, but I think many forget what a bad situation it was in the moment and that within about a year the new team was going to have to give him a contract as well. The guy and his family hated it here, had targets on their backs and a change of scenery did him well. I don't know if we would've ever gotten this marshawn lynch on our team.

Certainly don't love the trade but think its a step up from the disaster that hindsight is making it look like.