Whose career would you rather have?

If accomplishments are in total are today's whose career would you want  

46 members have voted

1. 1. If accomplishments are in total are today's whose career would you want

• Marino
    • Dilfer
    • Manning
    • Bledsoe

I started thiking about this question last night after a humorous post that got few responses for Nick in RaChaChaChester.

Its imposible to predict participation in SBs based on how well you play (just ask Marino) and all of these players are either done or played a good long time so I think it is fair and raises an interesting consideration.

Of these 4 QBs assuming that the rest of their careers is pretty much like the first part for the 3 still playing whose career would you want. Basically it is a question about the import for you of winning the big dance, at least making it to the SB, leading your team and producing glorious stats.

All of these players have been well compensated for playing a boys game so I think that is less of an issue.

I think all of these players have things which speak for their careers and also shortcomings.

Given the general tenor of this board and my willingness to cut him and move on after he finished the 2004 season, I somewhat hate to say it but given total achievements to date and more of the same, I think I'd prefer Bledsoe's career over the other 3.

I'd take Bledsoe. He led his team to a Superbowl (loss), he helped win a Superbowl, he single-handedly revitalized the Patriots, he regained fan interest in Buffalo, and he's still playing.

However, Manning is a close second.

CW

I'd take Bledsoe.  He led his team to a Superbowl (loss), he helped win a Superbowl, he single-handedly revitalized the Patriots, he regained fan interest in Buffalo, and he's still playing.

However, Manning is a close second.

CW

208453[/snapback]

:devil::D:doh:

Instead of laughing, why not say who you'd rather be?

CW

208469[/snapback]

If I was a profootball QB and had to choose a career I would choose Mannings. He has his whole career in front of him and he will win some championships before he is done. To be honest Drew would be the last career I would want. Trent can always look back fondly at his Superbowl performance and his shiny ring. Marino truly "led" his team to a Superbowl and will be a first ballot hall of famer.

If I was a profootball QB and had to choose a career I would choose Mannings.  He has his whole career in front of him and he will win some championships before he is done.  To be honest Drew would be the last career I would want.  Trent can always look back fondly at his Superbowl performance and his shiny ring.  Marino truly "led" his team to a Superbowl and will be a first ballot hall of famer.

208475[/snapback]

This interests me because I'm torn about who I would choose, but actually Manning's career is clearly the one I would want least.

I can see what you're saying in that certainly of the three still playing he has the most hope of winning or getting to an SB, but I think that (as Marino and Manning have found out) winning or even getting to the SB is such a crapshoot that no player can count on this happening even though the experience is such a once or few times in a lifetime experience that reaching that pinnacle is what all players are shooting for.

I think you are wrong in assuming that Manning will win some championships before his career is done. I think this was even a better assumption for Marino after he went to the SB in the first couple of years in his career and never saw it again except from some luxury box.

Given Manning's contract, the cost of resigning Harrison, the likely cost and importance to Indy O productuion of resigning James, and the limitations of the salary cap on building a D which at some point in the playoffs (particularly if lack of homefield advantage forces them to NE) is going to have to pitch pretty close to a defensive shutout in order to win if the weather, refs and pressure are going to lead to Indy scoring 3 points, I think that the chances of him winning the Pro football championship or even making it to the SB are actually unlikely at best. It could happen if he takes the Elway/Farve path and takes less money than the market would give him so Indy can build a team, but I would niot bet on this.

The fact remains that Manning is a far better QB than you or I (or Ryan Leaf) will ever be, but all of us have won or played in exactly the same number of Super Bowls.

Didn't Manning make around $20M a season or two ago? Even adjusting for inflation, that blows the doors off anything Marino, Bledsoe and certainly Dilfer ever made...

If I'm the QB, that's what I'm looking for.

Even if Marino had made more money, I'd never want his career. He may be a future HOFer, but he lost every big game against another QB who graduated the same year as him.

I'm trying to think of a comparison, but I can't think of one. Two HOFers, where one always beat the other...

Didn't Manning make around $20M a season or two ago?  Even adjusting for inflation, that blows the doors off anything Marino, Bledsoe and certainly Dilfer ever made...

If I'm the QB, that's what I'm looking for.

Even if Marino had made more money, I'd never want his career.  He may be a future HOFer, but he lost every big game against another QB who graduated the same year as him. 

I'm trying to think of a comparison, but I can't think of one.  Two HOFers, where one always beat the other...

208665[/snapback]

Manning's current cap hit according to the NFLPA (and thus the NFL) is $15.7 million for 2004. Even though your $20 million figure is not accurate, the point you make is which if the main thing Manning wants is the $ he scores.

However, my question was more about the sports career rather than the business career and ultimately if Manning is interested in sports achievements he will probably have to do the same thing Elway and Manning did to forgo what the deserve and can get from the market so their teams can afford the players they need to help them win a championship.

Manning's current cap hit according to the NFLPA (and thus the NFL) is $15.7 million for 2004. Even though your $20 million figure is not accurate, the point you make is which if the main thing Manning wants is the $ he scores.

However, my question was more about the sports career rather than the business career and ultimately if Manning is interested in sports achievements he will probably have to do the same thing Elway and Manning did to forgo what the deserve and can get from the market so their teams can afford the players they need to help them win a championship.

209490[/snapback]

I thought it was more, but that might have been the cost if the Colts had been forced to franchise him.

As for your question, I knew what you were asking; I was just trying to be cute, and point out that perhaps Marino, while being one of the best pure passers in league history, was not even the best QB in his division for most of his career.

:)

I thought it was more, but that might have been the cost if the Colts had been forced to franchise him. 

As for your question, I knew what you were asking; I was just trying to be cute, and point out that perhaps Marino, while being one of the best pure passers in league history, was not even the best QB in his division for most of his career. 

:)

209499[/snapback]

I agree on Marino being the best pure passer in league history though Manning get that accolade is probab,y more than arguable when he retires, but the sense he was not even the best QB in the division is the same type of line of thinking which has Manning and Marino anchoring the bottom of the list of the question I asked.

Manning is a great great passer but I think it is difficult if not impossible to win pr even get a shot at the SB with his cap hit which makes him not the QB I would want if I were trying to build a team to win it all.