ESPN 30 for 30 No Mas: Leonard vs Duran

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good 30 for 30. I wish ESPN did more boxing 30 for 30's from the golden era. You can really see the difference in just how big Boxing was back in those days. HBO Is doing a documentary about the relationship between Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward, it airs at midnight this Friday.

Good 30 for 30. I wish ESPN did more boxing 30 for 30's from the golden era. You can really see the difference in just how big Boxing was back in those days. HBO Is doing a documentary about the relationship between Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward, it airs at midnight this Friday.

Same here. It's incredible when you think back at the # of huge fights that occurred in the 70s and 80s.

Looking forward to the Gatti-Ward story.

HBO ran a series of boxing documentaries in the early 2000's that covered both the Arguello-Pryor and Hearns-Hagler fights. I don't think they air them anymore but you should be able to find them online. The series was called Legendary Nights. Ironically tonight debuts the first new Legendary Nights doc they have ran since back then, featuring the story of Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward. I'm really looking forward to this one

HBO ran a series of boxing documentaries in the early 2000's that covered both the Arguello-Pryor and Hearns-Hagler fights. I don't think they air them anymore but you should be able to find them online. The series was called Legendary Nights. Ironically tonight debuts the first new Legendary Nights doc they have ran since back then, featuring the story of Arturo Gatti and Micky Ward. I'm really looking forward to this one

Unless my memory is playing tricks, that brutal Arguello-Pryor fight was the same afternoon as the one where Mancini killed Duk Koo Kim or whatever his name was.

I never really liked Leonard all that much, too much flash and not enough substance, as I recall. It really irked me that he "beat" Hagler by hitting him ineffectually on the arms. I did, however, really like Duran, cause he was just a big, mean, sumbitch. One thing that I didn't consider was the effect "no mas" had on Leonard. I can see how unfair it was that he did actually have a pretty effective plan to beat Duran, only to have him quit, and everyone wanted to say he quit rather than Leonard MADE him quit. I found myself hat nag some sympathy for Leonard, and wished Duran would just own up to it, and say he was so frustrated, he quit, and stop the BS excuses...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1F319BE3D5FD6448

Arguello/Pryor was the night before the Mancini/Kim fight.

Good call. I looked up the dates..........It says the Pryor fight was on HBO. I'm wondering if they did a replay the next day on Saturday afternoon and we watched that..............That would make total sense - because I know I saw it and there was not one Friday in college that I ever was not out, so no way did I see it live then.

Good call. I looked up the dates..........It says the Pryor fight was on HBO. I'm wondering if they did a replay the next day on Saturday afternoon and we watched that..............That would make total sense - because I know I saw it and there was not one Friday in college that I ever was not out, so no way did I see it live then.

Probably. As I remember it, the Mancini/Kim fight was Saturday afternoon. Outdoor fight that aired on ABC, I think.

I used to love sitting down to watch those fights on Wide World.

Probably. As I remember it, the Mancini/Kim fight was Saturday afternoon. Outdoor fight that aired on ABC, I think.

I used to love sitting down to watch those fights on Wide World.

I never followed boxing, and I even remember watching it on ABC. Best part of Wide World of Sports next to Vinko Bogataj.

Yeah, it had to be on WWofS. I never really have been that into boxing except when I was a young kid, but I too watched it, and the Pryor fight that weekend.

I remember thinking they were both pretty brutal, but then when we went to the dining hall, somebody told me that Kim was seriously in trouble. That was news after the broadcast.