For all the crap the front office gets

For all the crap that the front office gets (much of it deserved…2 kickers, no guards, no DBs, too many QBs and WRs during the offseason, and now we have thad lewis, matt Flynn and Dennis Dixon as our available QBs, and Hogan is our clutch 3rd down receiver), I thought I would highlight some of the positive side.

I am only mentioning the activity in the last year with the “change of guard”

BUT, lets just take a peek at the new members of this team.

Coaching

HC: Marrone: I have no problems with what I see from Marrone, other than sometimes I feel like he tells the media TOO MUCH, and then has to back track on his statements when things don’t work out the way he thought they would. Things could be worse

DC: Pettine: stud

OC: Hackett: Not a stud, likely too green, but Marrone is the head behind the offense, so likely to improve. Granted, if possible it would be interesting to see what we could have done if Gailey stayed on as OC with pettine as DC.

ST: neutral: positive based exclusively on Easley’s ridiculous kickoff coverage, but punt coverage has been a hot mess the past two games.

Now to the draft (not mentioning everyone):

EJ: We’ll see but potential

Woods: Stud so far, but really interesting to see him disappear when stevie was gone…granted, EJ was gone as well

Kiko: Stud so far

Goodwin: Pretty damn amazing in limited action

Hopkins: all signs point to good when he shows up, more on this later

Gragg: not bad for a 7th round pick

Ok, now the free agent/trade market including UFA

Lawson: Solid

Hughes: solid, maybe even stud

Carpenter: Stud so far, Hopkins may be bad ass, but he’s gonna have to work to get his job back

Thad Lewis: Maybe not Jim Kelly, but sure happy we have him now.

Jim Leonard: Pretty damn studly so far.

Kolb: Was a good idea at the time with who was available, assumption was they could keep him upright, they were wrong, injury allowed us to see more of EJ for better for worse at his stage of development.

Byrd: I know it was messy and has burnt us so far, but still glad to have him on the team.

Aaron Corp, D’arick Rogers: Seemed like good ideas at the time, no major loss

Now who did we lose:

Fitzy: I love him for what he was, a great backup, and yes, it sure would be nice to have him here to play backup with all the injuries, especially since it only saved us 3 million, and we are still paying him the ridiculous salary the old regime gave him. All in all not a huge loss to avoid QB controversy and move on from the old.

Tarvaris Jackson: Yeah, it would be interesting to see what he could do with this offense, but no guarantees based on his previous play that he is any better than the unknown lewis, and the assumption at his release was we were getting rookies and veterans at QB

Levitre: Yeah, we definitely miss him. Would have been nice to have the continuity, especially for a run happy team with a rookie QB, but at some point, you have to draw a line in the sand for what you want to pay your guard. Not all your players can be the highest paid at their positions

Lindell: good bill, but isn’t it nice to not assume that our kicker CAN’T kick a FG past 45 yards?

Powell: about time, welcome back Moorman if for no other reason, my Number 8 jersey is kickin’ it once again!

Point is, that’s not a bad body of work for the first year in charge. Granted, the next few years may not have as much turnover, but I am pretty happy with the roster changes. Young team, tons of potential. Will it pan out? As a Bills fan, I say no, but looking at it objectively, there’s a lot of upside to look forward to.

There is a lot to be excited about this Bills team. They are young, and there is much talent for the first time this decade. They had some tough luck with injuries, but will only get better The Bills cap is in decent shape, and with a few more additons, tweeks, and healthy bodies this team has potential to dominate the AFC east the next 5 years. Kudos to the front staff for working miracles

While I agree that this new regime is far far superior to what Buddy Nix / Chan Gailey did in their first year back in 2010, as those two clowns only changed like two starters. Then Gailey proclaims Trent Edwards as the starting QB, gave him all the 1st string reps only to cut him after two reg season games. :doh: A big reason the team started 0-8. One of those starters was FA RT Cornell Green at 2 mil per which was a total waste on money, as he was quietly benched and released after five games. As free agency opened in 2010 GM Buddy Nix announced he was going to get some sleep. What a clusterF that staff was!!

That said, this new regime isn't without its warts!

Like entering the season with only two QB's who are both rookies, and one was an un drafted free agent. Huge huge blunder! How many QB's has the team gone thru in only 6 weeks? Leinhart, Kolb, Tuel, EJ, Lewis, Flynn

Like thinking LG Colin Brown was a serviceable starter, and it took them 5 games to finally replace him as a starter. Then backup G Sam Young (who was released) was more worthless then starter Colin Brown. Young entered the Jets game in place of Urbik for a few series and promptly allows two sacks. Starter and depth for losing the Bills best O lineman in free agency (LG Andy Levitre) was horrifically bad. I get not signing Levitre for that much money, but why cut G Chad Rinehart if your not keeping Levitre?

Like cutting the starting Punter after he really screws up the Cleveland game by kicking directly at the Browns best return man over and over.

Like allowing CB Justin Rodgers to stay in that Jets game, they targeted him only 8 times but he surrendered only 6 receptions for an astounding 247 yards and 2 TD's. That was 74% of the Jets passing total in that game.

Like the new Bills OC stating he would run Spiller until he throws up, and in many games Hackett is making the fans throw up with some bad play calls.

I wouldn't canonize QB Thaddeus Lewis just yet as the Bengals only blitzed Lewis 6 out of 41 drop backs, and he still gave up 5 sacks and a fumble.

Normally I'd be verbally tearing this new HC / GM coaching staff a new one every day, all day.

But ya know what!! I'm very impressed with what new GM Doug Whaley did in this years draft, Kiko rules! EJ, Woods, Goodwin.

I'm very impressed with the new DC Pettine! Its so refreshing to finally have a DC who knows what he is doing, and is able to get good production out of his players - schemes, despite some serious injuries in the secondary. The Bills might still have a bad defense stat-wise @ # 28. Our eyes tell this defense is very much different that what Dave Wannabe-stache fielded last season.

I'm impressed with what Marrone / Hackett / Pettine have done so far this year considering the talent (or lack of) they were forced to deal with by the bean counters.

Like entering the season with only two QB's who are both rookies, and one was an un drafted free agent. Huge huge blunder! How many QB's has the team gone thru in only 6 weeks? Leinhart, Kolb, Tuel, EJ, Lewis, Flynn

Like thinking LG Colin Brown was a serviceable starter, and it took them 5 games to finally replace him as a starter. Then backup G Sam Young (who was released) was more worthless then starter Colin Brown. Young entered the Jets game in place of Urbik for a few series and promptly allows two sacks. Starter and depth for losing the Bills best O lineman in free agency (LG Andy Levitre) was horrifically bad. I get not signing Levitre for that much money, but why cut G Chad Rinehart if your not keeping Levitre?

Like cutting the starting Punter after he really screws up the Cleveland game by kicking directly at the Browns best return man over and over.

Like allowing CB Justin Rodgers to stay in that Jets game, they targeted him only 8 times but he surrendered only 6 receptions for an astounding 247 yards and 2 TD's. That was 74% of the Jets passing total in that game.

I wouldn't canonize QB Thaddeus Lewis just yet as the Bengals only blitzed Lewis 6 out of 41 drop backs, and he still gave up 5 sacks and a fumble.

Just responding to the points above,

Agree on QB, although I think the blunder was in keeping dead weight on the 53 man roster which preventing them from keeping another player on the team. That being said, Lewis was there and learning the playbook if/when we needed him, which we did. THAT being said, he wasn't activated for the cleveland game so him being around didn't help us very much. Also, he was a complete unknown so there was no assurance that he would be even a reasonable NFL level player. Prob could have kept Leinart around if we needed someone with atleast an NFL head (albeit probably not an NFL arm).

GUARD: Competely agree with you on the guard situation, letting Levitre walk without a plan for serviceable replacement AND backup was irresponsible and significantly hampers your QBs development.

Punter: Disagree, I think, but I'm not sure what your getting at. I am GLAD they let him go. He was stinkin up the place the entire season. Good for a shank punt a game. Even while declining, Moorman didn't perform as poorly as his "replacement" was this season

Rogers: Agree, but was there anyone else on the roster available to play? I'm pretty sure in the course of that game, he was the only option.

Lewis: No canonization (nice 5 star word, by the way), but he has outperformed my expectations

Mixed bag but generally positive feelings. What does worry me is how foreseeable a lot of the problems we are having now were months ago. Now behind the scenes I don't know if there were other factors in not addressing them or if they were simply miscalculations. Level headed me says there's always more to the story that fans never get to hear.... Fan me is a bit more knee jerk.

I'll give credit for a lot of moves though (trading future cuts for a qb and pass rusher, Lawson being a great value add, a draft that I like regardless of if bad luck derails some guys etc....).

The word stud is used a little too frequently in this thread for my liking. We have many positive signs thanks to the new front office, but I wouldn't go out of my way to anoint Jerry Hughes as a "stud."

Agree on Carpenter, he's been great. Kiko, too.

The word stud is used a little too frequently in this thread for my liking. We have many positive signs thanks to the new front office, but I wouldn't go out of my way to anoint Jerry Hughes as a "stud."

Trade "stud" for "great value" on a lot of those and I think its a little more on point.

Hughes is good and is still quite young, Manny Lawson is the pick up that has impressed me most. Freakish athlete for a man that big with WR speed.

Leonard has aptly filled in for Byrd as a slow safety with a knack for getting picks by being in the right place at the right time, although that pancake he suffered from cincis LT is going to lead to some major heckling it the film room.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I agree, but in my defense, I said, solid....MAYBE stud.

Should probably just stop using that word in general, huh.

You know what? I'm as negative as it gets when it comes to the Bills...30+ years of fandom with so few highs and so many lows will do that to you. But this year...feels different...

There is something positive happening with this team in that they're growing together. It feels like all we need to do is learn how to win again. In the past, when the #1 QB would go down, the season would derail but yesterday, there the Bills were, with Thad Lewis at the helm, putting up more TDs than the Patriots did against that same Cincy D.

It feels different.

Agree that there are a lot of positives --- most notable to me is the last draft and the way the coaching staff has seemingly improved the play of several struggling prior draft picks that were consistently panned prior to this year --- Carrington, A Williams, Searcy and McKelvin of note ---

But, sorry there is a but, in this case 2 buts --

1- Jury is out on Manuel and we all know with a franchise QB, this team is 4-2 or maybe 5-1 -- it means that much ---

2- This is the BIG ONE --- Brandon-Overdorf-Littman -- as long as the 3 stooges are in charge we'll need HoF GM and HoF coaches to win -- they continue to hamstring the organization with their penny pinching ways --- I know I sound like a broken record, but $20M in unspent cap space does not make sense

Just responding to the points above,

Agree on QB, although I think the blunder was in keeping dead weight on the 53 man roster which preventing them from keeping another player on the team. That being said, Lewis was there and learning the playbook if/when we needed him, which we did. THAT being said, he wasn't activated for the cleveland game so him being around didn't help us very much. Also, he was a complete unknown so there was no assurance that he would be even a reasonable NFL level player. Prob could have kept Leinart around if we needed someone with atleast an NFL head (albeit probably not an NFL arm).

GUARD: Competely agree with you on the guard situation, letting Levitre walk without a plan for serviceable replacement AND backup was irresponsible and significantly hampers your QBs development.

Punter: Disagree, I think, but I'm not sure what your getting at. I am GLAD they let him go. He was stinkin up the place the entire season. Good for a shank punt a game. Even while declining, Moorman didn't perform as poorly as his "replacement" was this season

Rogers: Agree, but was there anyone else on the roster available to play? I'm pretty sure in the course of that game, he was the only option.

Lewis: No canonization (nice 5 star word, by the way), but he has outperformed my expectations

I have never, ever seen any NFL team besides this years Bills go into a season with only a rookie QB, and an un drafted rookie QB. Not sure who gets this blame, Whaley / Marrone or the bean counters.

In case you missed it, the Bungals only blitzed 6 times in 41 drop backs and they still sacked Lewis 5 times, and forced a fumble. Cincy mostly only rushed with their front four. Just imagine what this green as grass kid would have looked like if that Cincy defense played like they did the week earlier against the Patriots. Not allowing Tom Brady a TD pass and holding the Patriots to 6 points. Or if he had played a blitz crazed team like the Jets.

Thaddeus looked better then I would have ever thought, but he was greatly helped by some strange play calls by Cincy's DC. But then look what the kid looked like with the game on the line, and he needed to make a play in overtime, and his passes were horrid.

"Lewis came alive late and profited from some questionable play calling and execution from the Bengals’ defense. Only blitzed five times on his 41 drop-backs, two of those were Lewis’ fourth quarter touchdown passes to Scott Chandler and Marquise Goodwin"

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/14/refo-cin-buf-week-6/

Yea, I meant they should have never started the season with that craptastic punter. Special teams coverage's also have been suspect.

This coaching staff, and team is a work in progress. But, I have so much more faith that this staff can build a winning team ...then I never had with Gailey / Nix.

Lastly, call me crazy, but there is a QB sitting out there right now that is arguably the very best read option college player ever. A guy who also won an NFL playoff game. If this team wants to run the read option the rest of the year, it would make more sense to me to sign him over someone like Matt Flynn. He is also one tough SoB and would make a great power RB IMO.

Seriously, I started this same thread and it was locked...twice.

ha ha! Just looked back over the locked threads and sure enough you started the exact same thread. No worries I'm sure this one will get locked up soon enough, wouldn't want to have TOO MUCH positive banter on a bills board.

I officially proclaim you co-author of this thread.

While I agree that this new regime is far far superior to what Buddy Nix / Chan Gailey did in their first year back in 2010, as those two clowns only changed like two starters. Then Gailey proclaims Trent Edwards as the starting QB, gave him all the 1st string reps only to cut him after two reg season games. :doh: A big reason the team started 0-8. One of those starters was FA RT Cornell Green at 2 mil per which was a total waste on money, as he was quietly benched and released after five games. As free agency opened in 2010 GM Buddy Nix announced he was going to get some sleep. What a clusterF that staff was!!

That said, this new regime isn't without its warts!

Firstly, the "season" started last spring, and they entered it with a guy named Kevin Kolb. By the time he was injured (midway through training camp) there were NO AVAILABLE QB's. Unless you know something we don't know. But Kolb was the insurance plan, that's why we signed him...BEFORE THE DRAFT.

May be you can suggest someone who was available in the third week of August that should have been on our (or any) NFL Roster in June?

Agree that there are a lot of positives --- most notable to me is the last draft and the way the coaching staff has seemingly improved the play of several struggling prior draft picks that were consistently panned prior to this year --- Carrington, A Williams, Searcy and McKelvin of note ---

But, sorry there is a but, in this case 2 buts --

1- Jury is out on Manuel and we all know with a franchise QB, this team is 4-2 or maybe 5-1 -- it means that much ---

2- This is the BIG ONE --- Brandon-Overdorf-Littman -- as long as the 3 stooges are in charge we'll need HoF GM and HoF coaches to win -- they continue to hamstring the organization with their penny pinching ways --- I know I sound like a broken record, but $20M in unspent cap space does not make sense

This argument just makes no sense. They re-sign the people that they feel are good values. Wood, Urbik, Stevie, Freddie, Chandler, Kyle, etc. all got new deals under this regime. They also sign UFAs that they feel can make an impact, you can't argue that they haven't done well with Mario and Manny Lawson.

Yes, they have $20M in unused cap space now. As has been hashed out on here, that space is going to get eaten up quickly with Wood's new deal and some of the other players that they need to sign after this season (Chandler & Carrington will be UFAs, Dareus will be in the last year of his deal, etc.), along with being active in the UFA market.