The 2nd wild card spot in the AFC

KikO M G

The Dolphins currently hold the 2nd wild card spot in the AFC at 3-2. With the easy back end of the schedule for the Bills, they could be in position to go 9-7 and compete for that spot. Maybe the Pats running away with the division is best so given their week 17 match up vs. Bills.

I know this is wishful thinking, but I am trying to give myself something to look forward to after this soul crushing day.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have hope too. If we can pick up a road upset next week in Miami, I like our chances even better. Maybe we can't take down the Saints or Chiefs (though I think the Chiefs really are benefitting from an easy schedule at this point), but we have a string of 6 completely winnable games from Pittsburgh to Miami at home. If we can avoid major injuries from the remainder of the season, I like our chances.

I don't think the Dolphins are for real. They did start strong, but it turns out a win against ATL is not that impressive. The Saints easily beat them and they lost to a Ravens team that we beat (granted, we did it at home).

Edited by Big C

Jags, Bucs, Steelers, Falcons...those teams combined have 2 wins.

Dolphins and Jets are not that good. We can beat them at home.

That gets you to 8 wins there. Then you take advantage of Pats resting players in week 17 and you have 9-7. It might not be likely, but it's not implausible.

^It's true. A big win at Miami next week puts us in a much better position, but Pitt-NYJ-ATL-TB-Jax-Miami is wide open as far as I'm concerned, especially if we build some momentum.

The injuries and inexperience have cost us a little (we should have 4 wins by now), but there's reason for optimism for at least another month.

That gets you to 8 wins there. Then you take advantage of Pats resting players in week 17 and you have 9-7. It might not be likely, but it's not implausible.

I'm sure the Jets are counting wins v losses as well. I'd love nothing more than to end up 9-7 or 10-6.

I'm sure the Jets are counting wins v losses as well. I'd love nothing more than to end up 9-7 or 10-6.

The Jets are much more inconsistent than we are. They look great one week, and mostly inept the next. All of our games have been tight and we just couldn't pull through in 4 of them. Obviously that's not a good sign if we are expecting playoffs, but if we can find our footing steadily over the next few weeks we can turn close losses into wins.

I thought I was the only one still thinking this :) I am sure someone will drop a post saying we are all delusional. That's fine. The AFC is not very good overall. The 2nd WC is absoutely up for grabs. People think that the rest of the season will just play out as it has, with KC winning all their games, etc? No. Bills have been in every game until the very end. I don't count moral victories, but they are good enough to beat the remaining teams on their schedule. Even with Thad. This isn't college, anyone can beat anyone and you don't know which signif players may be hurt from week to week. If you want to stop watching now, go ahead. But you are just choosing to be bitter and haven't been watching the rest of the AFC.

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

I thought I was the only one still thinking this :) I am sure someone will drop a post saying we are all delusional. That's fine. The AFC is not very good overall. The 2nd WC is absoutely up for grabs. People think that the rest of the season will just play out as it has, with KC winning all their games, etc? No. Bills have been in every game until the very end. I don't count moral victories, but they are good enough to beat the remaining teams on their schedule. Even with Thad.

I don't know about the AFC being worse. I just think that there's more parity in the AFC. With the exception of the Jags (and now Houston all of a sudden), everyone is pretty competitive. In the NFC, there's a bigger gap from the top teams and the bottom teams. My impression so far, at least.

Edited by Big C

The Jets are much more inconsistent than we are. They look great one week, and mostly inept the next. All of our games have been tight and we just couldn't pull through in 4 of them. Obviously that's not a good sign if we are expecting playoffs, but if we can find our footing steadily over the next few weeks we can turn close losses into wins.

This. Jets have looked good against bad defenses (and backups -> Bills) and horrible against decent defenses. We have showed up on both sides of the ball every week. Not mistake free, but we have been in position to win all of our games in the last possession. Not sure many other teams can say that. Save your "but we lost" posts. The eye test tells me the team is good enough to be a WC this year.

I don't know about the AFC being worse. I just think that there's more parity in the AFC. With the exception of the Jags (and now Houston all of a sudden), everyone is pretty competitive. In the NFC, there's a bigger gap from the top teams and the bottom teams. My impression so far, at least.

Ravens, Steelers, Houston all have been signif worse than last year and are perennial playoff teams

Being one who predicted it would be the better part of half the season for the defense to play more instinctively vs. thinking and reacting too much, and given the QB situation, I think we'd be hard-pressed to even threaten for a playoff spot this year.

GO BILLS!!!

I am thinking the same way on this. And it starts with Lewis IMO. He's more ready to lead than EJ right now. Another game next week like he played today and we get a win. Ill take these types of games all day out of my QB. The schedule looks easier but lets not get too ahead of ourselves. We still struggle against Teams like Miami, Jets, Steelers. But we usually play well against the Jags, Chiefs, Bucs and dare I say the Pats (especially if they have the division locked up in week 17 and rest their starters)

Well be fine. We're 2-4. We could easily be anywhere from 0-6 to 6-0 right now. Every single game has been close. We've been in every single one. Today's probably being the worst and still went to OT. Eventually, this team will come together and play on all cylinders. Once they get hot and on a roll they may put some wins together instead of this win one, lose one crap.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

One thing that's certain. They are the most watchable team I've seen in years.

Edited by mrags

One thing that's certain. They are the most watchable team I've seen in years.

No doubt!

And let's not forget, the Redskins were 3-6 last year. We may not have RG3, but we have enough tools to make that sort of push.

If this defense can start getting its act together and hold an opponent under 20 points a few times, we might have a chance. But yeah, it will probably take the better part of the year for them to really get the system down.

the putrids don't rest players

they want to score as many points as they can