Official pre-game thread Bungles vs. the Bills

BuffaloBill

I did a pork shoulder on the Egg for the Ravens game, so i got way early today up in the friggen rain to do one for today as well........yes what i do affects the game, and i will not even be watching till almost 5 .

I will be drinking same beer as well...Southern Tier Hop Sun...although only have a few of those left, so have 3 of the Pumking 22oz if it appears the Southern Tier mojo is working!

go Bills

I'm not Lori, But, here's a shot at a some pregame info to get us ready. I hope to do this everyweek, if people like it and I have the ability.

Week 6: Cincinnati Bengals at Buffalo Bills

Sunday, October 13, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Kevin Harlan, Solomon Wilcots, and Boomer Esiason

DirecTV: 709

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan; Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 110

=================================================================

Game Preview:

After holding Super Bowl champion quarterbacks in check in their three wins this year, the Cincinnati Bengals face a signal-caller making his second NFL start Sunday when they visit Thad Lewis and the Buffalo Bills.

The Bills have won six in a row at home against the Bengals but had a 10-game winning streak in the series snapped in the last meeting, falling 23-20 at Cincinnati on Oct. 2, 2011. Dalton threw for 298 yards, including 118 to Green.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 6 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

Bills' Focus: Coach Marrone Bengals Preview

NFL.com Video Preview

NFL.com Game Center

Teams Stats:   Bills          Bengals

Total Yds/Game.... 348.6        330.2

Total Rush.............152.6          99.4

Total Pass.............196.0         230.8

Points/Game.......... 22.4           18.8

Time of Poss.......... 27.7           31.1

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 377.4         316.8

Rush Yards........... 116.0           95.6

Pass Yards........... 261.4         221.2

Points Allowed........ 26.0           17.4

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME                POSITION         INJURY    WED. THU. FRI.   GAME STATUS

Brooks, Ron            DB          Foot                      LP      LP    DNP    Out

Byrd, Jairus             S          Foot                        FP      FP    FP    Probable

Easley, Marcus       WR          Ribs                     LP      LP    LP    Probable

Gilmore, Stephon    DB          Wrist                     LP      LP    LP    Questionable

Goodwin, Marquise WR          Hand                   LP      LP    LP    Probable

Hopkins, Dustin       K          Groin                     DNP  DNP DNP    Out

Johnson, Stevie      WR          Back                   DNP  DNP DNP    Questionable

Manuel, EJ              QB          Knee                   DNP  DNP DNP    Out

Spiller, C.J.             RB          Ankle                    LP      LP    LP      Questionable

Williams, Kyle         DL          Achilles                 LP      FP    FP      Probable

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Cincinnati Bengals

NAME                POSITION         INJURY    WED. THU. FRI.   GAME STATUS

Boley, Michael        LB    Hamstring                     LP    LP    FP    Questionable

Ghee, Brandon       CB    Thigh                         DNP    LP    FP    Questionable

Hall, Leon               CB    Hamstring                    LP    LP    FP    Questionable

Johnson, Michael    DE    Concussion              DNP    DNP  FP    Questionable

Pollak, Mike            G    Knee                              LP    FP    FP    Probable

Smith, Andre           T    Shoulder                        LP    FP    FP    Probable

Source: Bengals.com

Practice Status

DNP = Did not participate in practice

LP = Limited Participation in Practice - Less than 100% of a player's normal repetitions

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions

Out = Player will not play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available

Game Status

Out = Player will not play

Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Bengals -7

Over/Under: 42

Source: The Linemakers

More... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

How can a Practice Squad QB get activated and beat a pretty good team that just shut down Tom Brady?  By all accounts, this game should be an easy win for the Bengals.  So, why even watch? Well, for starters...

1. The Bills defense should get most of the starters back this week.  With the reinforcements showing up just in the nick of time, we get our first look at Byrd in 2013. Add in Gilmore and Leo and the backfield might finally be able to stop someone on 3rd and 10 or more.  Its worth watching just to see how much playing time they all get, and how much rust they have on them.

2. Kiko, enough said.

8. Brian Moorman to punt! 

4. Thad the Impaler.  For me, he's a complete mystery.  On one hand, from the brief game film I've seen he looks raw, inaccurate downfield, and too quick to go with his first read.  On the other hand, it can be argued that I just described EJ's performance through the first month of the season.  So, will the offense be that much different? 

To offset these concerns, it would seem logical to have Spiller and Freddie and Choice run and run some more.  But, how many times have we seen Bills Coaches out smart themselves?  However, if Hackett can draw up a good game plan and our secondary can keep Dalton from looking like a first ballot HOFer, we stand a good chance to upset the Bengals with a practice squad QB.  

The defense has yet to shut an opponent down and there's little reason to believe they'll start this week.  As for the Bengals defense, they will almost certainly play the run and dare Thad to beat them.  So, as I see it, there's only one key to this game, as far as the Bills are concerned... the offensive success and most likely the game, boils down to how well Thad handles the pressure coupled with his ability to be more accurate with downfield passes.  

And that's why I'll be watching; hoping for Thad to shine and the renewed secondary to finally get off the field on 3rd and forever with some consistency.

Go Bills!!

i think it goes without saying that for the Bills to have any chance at all, the defense must play the best game of the season to date. We cannot allow the Bungals to control the ball on offense. We will not be able to score alot of points, so our Defense MUST limit them 10 or less to have a shot...

I'm not Lori, But, here's a shot at a some pregame info to get us ready. I hope to do this everyweek, if people like it and I have the ability.

Very nice, I say keep it up each week.

Nicely done! To the point and informative with just a wee hint of homer ;) I look forward to you keeping this going :)

Justin Rogers is inactive folks. I repeat. Justin Rogers, is, inactive.

Whoa!

Weird things happen when these teams face each other. Weird things, man. 2 yrs ago in November, the Bills were down 31-14 at halftime at Cincy and came back to win. At the time, the Bills had one win.

Don't write off this game just yet.

3 years ago, but yes that was wild. I think we can do this!

Nicely done! To the point and informative with just a wee hint of homer ;) I look forward to you keeping this going :)

Unfortunately, I'm a Bills fan. I don't deny it, I can't escape it. So, yeah, everything I do is a little biased towards the Bills. :)

This game, however, I truly think just comes down to the Bills. The two teams are fairly evenly matched. So, its up to the Bills to win this and not lose it. And to win it, I think Thad is going to have to score some points with a good defense coming after him.

Edited by Dan