New game time board practice being implemented today

BuffaloBill

Several changes have been made to improve server performance during the game. One being implemented tomorrow is to have three threads that will be pinned and then locked at certain points during the game. The threads are:

- A pre-game thread opened about 2 hours prior to kickoff and then locked around the national anthem time in the game.

- A first-half thread that will be opened when the above is locked and then closed at half-time.

- A second-half thread that is opened when the above is locked and then locked again just after the game.

Can't promise that the timing will be exact but we will work towards having it be so. Please continue to refrain from starting new threads during the game.

Edited by BuffaloBill
Pre-game thread now opened 2 hours before game

Awesome. I hope it eventually goes to a thread per quarter. After a while it's near impossible to follow the game thread or leave it and try to find a discussion about a certain play/drive when you return.

I actually like the thread per quarter idea. As someone that travels and can't always watch the game, I enjoy reading the game thread just to see the range of emotions and reactions. But, it's often hard to figure what's being discussed because it all gets jumbled. Breaking it down, per half or per quarter, might make perusing the game day thread much more coherent and easy.

Also are the threads started by a moderator? It seems they always started earlier and earlier because people wanted the prestige of starting the threads. Maybe whoever starts the pregame thread could start with quick summary of broadcast info, injury status for both teams, a few links, things like that? So, we could get some real info before the posts to cut everyone start.

My other thought, as a lowly board member... is a pregame thread opened just 30mins prior to kickoff enough time? How much info can actually be posted and discussed in 30mins? I'd ask that the Mods in their infinite wisdom consider an hour (or hour and a half) pregame thread.

I actually like the thread per quarter idea. As someone that travels and can't always watch the game, I enjoy reading the game thread just to see the range of emotions and reactions. But, it's often hard to figure what's being discussed because it all gets jumbled. Breaking it down, per half or per quarter, might make perusing the game day thread much more coherent and easy.

Also are the threads started by a moderator? It seems they always started earlier and earlier because people wanted the prestige of starting the threads. Maybe whoever starts the pregame thread could start with quick summary of broadcast info, injury status for both teams, a few links, things like that? So, we could get some real info before the posts to cut everyone start.

My other thought, as a lowly board member... is a pregame thread opened just 30mins prior to kickoff enough time? How much info can actually be posted and discussed in 30mins? I'd ask that the Mods in their infinite wisdom consider an hour (or hour and a half) pregame thread.

Good ideas.

The situation will be reviewed after the game tomorrow. The primary issue driving the change is board performance during the game. The proposed action balances the fact that mods are watching or attending the game and may not have the time to do all that you suggest.

Good ideas.

The situation will be reviewed after the game tomorrow. The primary issue driving the change is board performance during the game. The proposed action balances the fact that mods are watching or attending the game and may not have the time to do all that you suggest.

Good points.

I'm no writer/press/smart guy, but I may try my hand at a pregame summary for the pregame thread, in an effort to add substantive content for discussion to the board. I'll see what I can come up with tonight, at least.

Good points.

I'm no writer/press/smart guy, but I may try my hand at a pregame summary for the pregame thread, in an effort to add substantive content for discussion to the board. I'll see what I can come up with tonight, at least.

Cool.

Here's a solution: have someone or a mod create all the threads now, sticky them and lock them. Then, tomorrow unlock the pregame. when the game starts unlock the first half thread, and so on. Its also easier for the mods, all they have to do is unlock the existing thread rather than create a new one.

This may be what you were getting st doing already, so if that's the case never mind, lol.

Jack, I just meant all other threads. Its annoying when someone finds the Dareus is awesome thread and then he gets huge penalties and people bump it to just provoke.

Maybe we get a thread for around the league going too?

This is pitiful. Remember joe in buffalo starting the ravens game thread? It was legendary!

I think I started that with the opener. I did it because I was going by to the tailgate and wanted to make sure I could chime in to say they should stop by/find me.

Jack, I just meant all other threads. Its annoying when someone finds the Dareus is awesome thread and then he gets huge penalties and people bump it to just provoke.

Can it be done? yes

Can it be done easily? yes/no

We have the option to quickly select every thread on the first page and lock them all. But then we'd have to go to the second page, same thing, etc, etc. So someone could still dig up a thread 8 pages deep just because of the situation you refer to, because we didn't go back that far.

Can it be done? yes

Can it be done easily? yes/no

We have the option to quickly select every thread on the first page and lock them all. But then we'd have to go to the second page, same thing, etc, etc. So someone could still dig up a thread 8 pages deep just because of the situation you refer to, because we didn't go back that far.

Thanks for the quick response.

You'll be at the game tomorrow? Make sure you get some of my meat. Mead is supposed to be bringing some of the burgers - iirc.