(OT) How do you NOT notice a nail in the brain?

Fezmid

It's actually possible (though very difficult) to suffer a penetrating brain injury like that and not suffer any notable ill effects. The brain has enough over-capacity that, as long as you don't seriously disrupt the entire organ (e.g. ripping a major blood vessel, which is tough to not do) it can sometimes compensate. I read a paper once on a guy who'd had an arrow shot completely through his skull (front to back) and not only lived but suffered no real impairment outside some personality changes (more prone to anger and depression).

But having said that...that guy at least noticed the arrow. I'd think if you don't notice a four-inch nail embedded in the roof of your mouth, there wasn't much up there to be damaged to begin with... :devil:

seriously, when the nail gun was IN HIS MOUTH and it fired, you mean to tell me there was NO pain the the roof of his mouth?

208310[/snapback]

He must have had some pain cause he was trying to eat ice cream to alleviate it, and then he went to the dentist to see what was up......but there are actually no pain receptors in our brain tissue, so technically there would be no pain other than the entry point in his mouth.

He must have had some pain cause he was trying to eat ice cream to alleviate it, and then he went to the dentist to see what was up......but there are actually no pain receptors in our brain tissue, so technically there would be no pain other than the entry  point in his mouth.

208345[/snapback]

Wouldn't that entry point have started to bleed? Wouldn't you have felt this metal thing (or a big hole) in your mouth? :devil:

CW

Wouldn't that entry point have started to bleed?  Wouldn't you have felt this metal thing (or a big hole) in your mouth? :devil:

CW

208413[/snapback]

watched interview on today show claims he felt his lip bleed a little. Amazing what was the damn nail gun doin near his face anyways, he implied it was against his cheek.

Despite his lack of medical insurance and hospital bills between $80,000 and $100,000, Katerina Lawler said her husband is in good spirits.

"The doctors said, 'If you're going to have a nail in the brain, that's the way you want it to be,"' she said. "He's the luckiest guy, ever."

never, ever do i want to read $100,000 in bills and "luckiest guy ever" in consecutive paragraphs.

I understand how he wouldn't "feel" it in his brain, but like others have said, i dont understand a couple things:

1) how he doesn't feel it in the roof of his mouth.

2) How the "barrel" of the nail gun got INTO HIS MOUTH.

3) How, after it went, and then he started bleeding (which you have to assume he would have had to) he didnt put 2 + 2 together.

4) See #2.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this guy was on some sort of heavy duty drugs on the job.

I think that this line in the article disturbs me the most...

"This is the second one we've seen in this hospital where the person was injured by the nail gun and didn't actually realize the nail had been imbedded in their skull," neurosurgeon Sean Markey told KUSA-TV in Denver."

i'm guessing i'd notice a nail through my face

I understand how he wouldn't "feel" it in his brain, but like others have said, i dont understand a couple things:

1) how he doesn't feel it in the roof of his mouth.

2) How the "barrel" of the nail gun got INTO HIS MOUTH.

3) How, after it went, and then he started bleeding (which you have to assume he would have had to) he didnt put 2 + 2 together.

4) See #2.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this guy was on some sort of heavy duty drugs on the job.

208481[/snapback]

I'd vote shock. Probably thought he smacked himself in the face with it and that's that. Body went into a mild shock. You can impale yourself with a pipe and not feel it due to shock.

I'm sure he smacked himself in the face with it and his lip bled. Thought that was the extent of it. Toothache started up, which he assumed was a direct result of the impact.

That whole "happy, although I've 100,000 in medical bills and no insurance" drives me crazy, though! Thanks for the rising healthcare rates, pole smoker!

-Jeff

I read a paper once on a guy who'd had an arrow shot completely through his skull (front to back) and not only lived but suffered no real impairment outside some personality changes (more prone to anger and depression). 

208313[/snapback]

If I had an arrow shot through my skull, I suppose I'd be more prone to anger and depression too. :doh:

I read a paper once on a guy who'd had an arrow shot completely through his skull (front to back) and not only lived but suffered no real impairment outside some personality changes (more prone to anger and depression). 

:doh:

208313[/snapback]

so that explains your personality :(:(

I'm sure he smacked himself in the face with it and his lip bled.  Thought that was the extent of it. Toothache started up, which he assumed was a direct result of the impact.

But for six *days*? :doh:

CW