Ref tries to toss officer working crowd control at HS game

Beerball

Interesting. Who takes precedent @ the game. Seems the refs were doing their job and wanted the fans further away. Why wouldn't the cops oblige? They were refing the game... Which means keeping the fans @ bay... They would seem to be the ones in control of the game and the cops should listen to them on how they want the game run?

Interesting. Who takes precedent @ the game. Seems the refs were doing their job and wanted the fans further away. Why wouldn't the cops oblige? They were refing the game... Which means keeping the fans @ bay... They would seem to be the ones in control of the game and the cops should listen to them on how they want the game run?

Well, from the sounds of the article, the refs tried pulling rank on the cops.

Well, from the sounds of the article, the refs tried pulling rank on the cops.

I didn't read your article yet... Yeah, that is what it sounds like to me! IMO, I would think that the refs would act as the "superiors" for the area/game. What I am saying, if it effects the game, they are the "bosses." If they want the crowd moved back, the cops should follow the order... It effects the game.

Seems like a silly thing to get into a pissing contest in w/the refs. They are like the ultimate "administrators" of the game and the area that effects the game... Of course with no real authority to enforce.

"Public intimidiation" charge really sets a bad precedent.

Here's a better article, it started with arguments between fans and the chain crew....

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/northshore/Police-Two-referees-arrested-at-Mandeville-St-Pauls-game-227471361.html

Thanx... I will read it when I get a chance to open it.

I just read the article Jack... They must have been really close to be arguing w/the chain crew? I wonder what was really said. Public intimidation was explained in the article. Kicking the cops out of the game IMO, is not public intimidation. Now saying: 'I will get you fired if you don't do you job with this crowd" may be is... ??

Anway, I think the refs should have power over the cops when it comes to running the game. Honestly, do you want stuff like up in Montreal? Cops/gov't looking into pressing assualt charges against Chara? Sure I would like to see Chara hauled away like any other self-respecting BFLO fan... But come on! When it comes to the game and running the show, the refs should be numero uno. A simple request... Move these people away from us doing our job!

Now... Did anybody read that the chain crew are supporters of one side and the fans the other team? Sticky here because I bet the fans were all in the faces of the chain crew... Micromanaging their accuracy???

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Now... Did anybody read that the chain crew are supporters of one side and the fans the other team? Sticky here because I bet the fans were all in the faces of the chain crew... Micromanaging their accuracy???

When I worked for a semi-pro team, the refs tell the chain crew where to place the sticks. So if the fans had issues with their placement, they needed to take it up with the refs.

When I worked for a semi-pro team, the refs tell the chain crew where to place the sticks. So if the fans had issues with their placement, they needed to take it up with the refs.

In HS we had a lot of dads use the sticks. The refs would tell them where and align them 99% of the time and the coaches would generally watch, as well.

Good point. If the crowd was getting too close or not kept far enough away... Why would the cops not oblige? Follow the chain crews order? I could see that the chain crew should have took it up to the head ref and not kick the cops out... But come on, if the crowd is bothering the chain crew, the cops should follow their orders.