IQ Testing (LAMP)

ajzepp

As a bit of a rubix cube aficionado myself i feel compelled to point out that simply rearranging all of the colours to be on their correct side faces is not necessarily indicative of solving the cube.

Anybody can be shown the numerous "patterns of moves" needed to be able to "solve" it. It simply becomes a memory issue(and with practice a motor memory issue) on whether one can do it.

Figuring out how to derive the patterns from scratch is truly solving the cube......and I think it would be humanly impossible to do in 90 seconds.

yeah. Well she had a good rack

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammersticks, you're a school psychologist? If I can get off my but and go after it, I would like to become a school psycholgoist myself. It seems that you're a bit exacerbated by parents and politics of the position. Are you overall satisfied with the position though?

Yes, I've been a school psychologist for almost 10 years now. I really can't complain too much. I work 9 months out of the year, get all of the school holidays off (paid), and make a pretty decent buck. Would I recommend that someone get into the profession now? Definitely not. When I graduated from my training program, I had probably 10-15 job offers in my lap. Could have stayed in NYS or moved just about anywhere in the country. I chose to accept a job in Charlotte, NC. When the economy really tanked in 08-09, the funding shortages really hit the public school systems. There were nearly 160 school psychologists in my district providing comprehensive services to children (counseling, classroom guidance, parent education, etc...), and almost 100 of them were RIF'ed in April of 2009. The remaining folks, who had accrued a certain amount of experience, were transformed into walking test kits.

School districts are now spreading psychologists thinner and thinner. The psychologists who are retiring are not being replaced. This, coupled with the fact that school psychology training programs are popping up like herpes sores all over the place, makes it nearly impossible to find a job. The exact problem exists for those entering the teaching profession. I have a friend with a masters degree in physics from Cornell, and a masters in secondary education from SUNY Oswego, and he has been managing a Panera Bread for 4 years while he is searching for a teaching job in his area. My Aunt, who is a school principal in WNY, told me recently that she got over 100 applicants for a 6 week maternity leave position.

I am very fortunate to have my job now. I must have killed my interview, because I beat out nearly 30 other candidates for a position in rural Vermont. This job does become very monotonous, and I often think about getting into another profession. Parents can be very difficult to deal with...often very demanding and unrealistic. I can't even tell you the number of times I have been threatened with law suits. Even had a parent throw my psych report in my face one time at a meeting because she disagreed with my findings. Teachers are stressed to the limit with overwhelming class sizes and pressure to "teach to the test."

So, HamSandwhich my friend, I would advise against entering my profession. Get a job as a janitor at a peep-show. Spetic tank cleaner? Crash test dummie?

I have an undergraduate in Psychology also (got me a government job in a completely different area) and I remember this idea of multiple intelligences. There were many of them if I remember correctly. There's intelligences in arts, music, even sports. Of course there are the standbys of mathematics and reading comprehension also. Point being, there are strengths and weaknesses to everyone's intelligence. Was it Carl Jung that first proposed this? I can't remember. I'm sure I could google it but I'm a bit lazy right now.

I can't remember either and I'm too lazy, as well haha...but yeah, I know during the lecture my instructor proposed there were as many as 100 different forms of intelligence...at least in terms of what had been proposed/theorized. I definitely agree with the strengths/weaknesses thing. One of my weaknesses is reading music. I used to be engaged to a classically trained opera singer who was a music teacher. She would often sit down with me and try to explain the different aspects of reading and writing music and it made zero sense to me for some reason. Even though I absolutely love music - nearly all kinds - I couldn't tell you 3/4 time from my JB's butthole.