They Have to Sign *Somebody*

uncle flap

OK the other QB thread was closed so I'm starting a new one.

Mods, please don't lock this: The Bills still need to pick up another QB and both Dixon and White have been rumored to be on the cusp of signing.

Marrone even said this morning on the radio that they haven't "officially signed a QB, but what we're looking to do is bring up Thaddeus..."

The Bills have to sign somebody. If Thad goes down, they're right back where they started. They need a practice squad QB, and Tuel would fit the bill (pardon the pun), if they bring in a vet.

Marrone also wouldn't outright dismiss Pat White. Here's the audio: http://audio.wgr550.com/a/81901694/10-7-doug-marrone-announces-thad-lewis-as-starter.htm

Now, for all Marrone's "straight-shooter" talk, I think he is overdoing it. Just Friday, he point blank answered:

Q: How does Thad Lewisicon-article-link.gif factor in to this? When you say you’re looking for a quarterback does that mean outside the organization or is he one that you’d also be looking at?

A: Outside the organization.

I realize things change, and I won't be surprised at all if in a few days or hours when White or Dixon is signed that Marrone says, "Well, we wanted a PS QB, but there weren't any met our criteria, so we decided to demote Tuel."

So, do you think the Bills/Marrone is/are playing coy and that White or Dixon actually are on the verge of officially signing?

Who else is out there that the Bills could consider? Anyone heard anything on David Carr? He was supposed to visit today.

Is Buffalo competing with Oakland for Dixon and White, and is Flynn now in the mix?

I think there is a lot to discuss that doesn't exactly fit into the current conversations taking place in other threads.

Tuel isn't going to the PS at least until EJ is back. He'd have to play in the event of Lewis getting injured and he at least knows the offense.

I could agree with that, but they still have to sign somebody. Even if it's not Tuel, they need somebody to run the PS.

So with Lewis starting, they need a backup or a PS QB. Their options are sign a PS QB, or sign a backup and move Tuel to the PS.

I would rather they sign Dixon or White and move Tuel to the PS. If they keep Tuel activated, who else is out there to run the PS?

Keep in mind this is the same organization that "planned" to start Tuel Week 1.

Edited by uncle flap

Also, not to turn this into a rumor thread, but just heard from third independent reliable source that Dixon is signing with the Bills after all.

I hope you're right UF, after Freeman, Dixon would be my choice out of all of em. Couldn't agree with you more, I'd like to see them add someone in case Thad isn't good enough, or gets injured.

Off topic:

Listening to Leo Roth here, he talked to Russ today. Russ told him they were in the mix and working hard to get Josh Freeman in here. Josh decided to go to Minnesota.

He also said Russ really likes Tuel long term and didnt put him on the PS for fear another team would scoop him up.

FWIW...

I hope you're right UF, after Freeman, Dixon would be my choice out of all of em. Couldn't agree with you more, I'd like to see them add someone in case Thad isn't good enough, or gets injured.

I hope I'm right too. I have no reason to doubt one of my "sources" in particular, but I am wondering why no official announcement. I'm guessing they have to free up a roster spot.

Off topic:

Listening to Leo Roth here, he talked to Russ today. Russ told him they were in the mix and working hard to get Josh Freeman in here. Josh decided to go to Minnesota.

He also said Russ really likes Tuel long term and didnt put him on the PS for fear another team would scoop him up.

FWIW...

It'd be tough to keep 4 QBs on the active roster if they aren't considering Tuel to the PS.

The only other guy I can think of them bringing in with PS eligibility is BJ Coleman, although I'm sure I'm forgetting some UDFAs.