Punter Brian Moorman signed

Punch

Anyone know why we would pick Moorman over Kluwe? My impression was Moormans leg was dying and it was right to release him. Sure it's great from a nostalgic standpoint but I'm not convinced he was the best option out there.

RTB

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Moorman as a punter for years and years but he hasn't been good for three years. And really isn't an upgrade from Powell.

Powell had to go, because he was the most unreliable when you needed him the most, but we are still likely in need of a serious upgrade in punter next season. Hopefully we can make it through this one with Moorman. He did not punt well on the Cowboys or the steelers.

Anyone know why we would pick Moorman over Kluwe? My impression was Moormans leg was dying and it was right to release him. Sure it's great from a nostalgic standpoint but I'm not convinced he was the best option out there.

RTB

Kluwe is better at this point, but maybe they have more confidence in Moorman's ability to punt in the elements. Kluwe punted in a dome--- I have no idea how well he kicked late in the year in Green Bay, Chicago, etc.

Edited by Punch

Special Teams coach is often a position given to someone with little experience and a good relationship with the HC. Marv Levy go the job with George Allen exactly that way. The good ones become good through experience; the bad ones get fired.

P.S. I agree with Mike: it is amazing how rarely the local media breaks any of these stories. Where are the beat reporters? Or is it just because the players' agents are more comfortable leaking to national reporters like LaCanfora? I ask the question out of a general curiosity, not to slam local reporters.

Its Sunday, they are off today. They will write the story tomorrow. Which I applaud , actually. Actually, we are the insane ones hanging on every text to see who the f ing punter is going to be

To the point about which reporters break breaking news, if you've met journalists - they're pretty much in two categories. Kinda like musicians. Old school and new school. The D&C and most of the Buffalo News team are very old school. I love these guys but they think new media news is not real reporting and are slow to adapt.

On the other hand guys like La Canfora who wouldn't be able to hold their water in a "real" journalistic context and are horrible reporters, are on it cause they get the new world. Add that to the fact that team sources really rather get in good with national outlets than local media, end up giving hot tips to organizations like CNN or ESPN first before local.

The exception to all of this in my mind - are Adam Schefter and Peter King - old school guys who have made the transition really well. PK even has his own online network and brand now - MMQB. That's how you play it...

C

The guy who hired me 13 years ago punted at Pitt and tried out for the Bills 20 years ago. I just sent him a text saying they probably found out he wasn't available

EDT: I just got a text back from him saying he's still a good pooch punter. He'll have to call the GM. I forgot he was at Pitt with Whaley was there and is friends with him. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

I for one am psyched to have Moorman back in the fold. I never like the way he was treated last year and thought it was BS. Let him have one last hurrah, riding off into the sunset in a blaze of punting during the Jeff Tuel Era. I could be wrong, but I think he'll be a little rejuvenated by this redemption shot, and I think he'll be solid the rest of the way. Hopefully he gets a chance to retire as a Buffalo Bill this time.