Bills open to trading Byrd

Jdragon2

I know that many will disagree with me, but all of this suggests to me that the franchise player designation should go the path of the dinosaur. No other league has it, and they all survive just fine. Moreover, the only league that has it is the one most likely to produce injuries that cut short a career. Why would any NFL player be OK with this system? Sure, the NFLPA signed a deal with the league, but that doesn't make the designation a good idea. Moreover, it's the only league with national TV contracts, so the disparity in income between teams is lower than in any other league. There's no need for it. Of course, the players hate it because it undermines their freedom of contract.

If the defense is that the Bills need it to retain players, the defenders should look at what it has produced for them over the past two decades. It has been a rolling disaster for the Bills going back to Wolford. They've never gotten anything out of it except the right to draft Willis McGahee. (Moreover, trading Price helped to destroy their passing game in 2003.) If they were a good organization, they wouldn't need this sort of artificial protection from the market for good players.

Don't hate the player; hate the system.

I agree. There should just be more straight-up RFA rules after the fourth season, for a couple of years. It could allow teams to maintain control if they want to with right of first refusal on any offer, and for the drafting team to receive compensation should the player leave. If a player really wants to leave and the team matches the deal, it can trade him and the value and desire of another partner for the trade is clear and out in the open. And the restricted signing window is just BS.

All this tag business does is breed animosity among teams and players by and create uncertainty and discrepancies regarding value among the players. People can argue till they're blue in the face that most players sign their tag deals, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an inherently unfair system where a guy like Levitre cannot be retained under any circumstances by the Bills, while a guy like Byrd is, and cannot negotiate with anyone.

I understand why players hate it.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. I hate when people say an injury is BS.

its not that the "injury" is BS. It's his threshold for pain and his over emphasizing the injury.

It has since been brought to the surface that he's had this for years. He's never had an issue in the past. All the sudden now, when he doesn't get his way when it comes to his big payday, all the sudden he can't play through it? All the sudden it's big news? All the sudden a shot on game day doesn't fix it?

The interviews back and forth between him and Marrone say alot about the situation. On one end, Byrd says he was ready to go last week. At the same time, Marrone says he thought he was and Byrd and the doctors held him out.

It's a clusterf%#k in the least. I don't think Marrone would have any reason to not play Byrd if he was ready. Except maybe to make him suffer a little bit because of an embellished injury that everyone on the team knows is BS.

its not that the "injury" is BS. It's his threshold for pain and his over emphasizing the injury.

It has since been brought to the surface that he's had this for years. He's never had an issue in the past. All the sudden now, when he doesn't get his way when it comes to his big payday, all the sudden he can't play through it? All the sudden it's big news? All the sudden a shot on game day doesn't fix it?

The interviews back and forth between him and Marrone say alot about the situation. On one end, Byrd says he was ready to go last week. At the same time, Marrone says he thought he was and Byrd and the doctors held him out.

It's a clusterf%#k in the least. I don't think Marrone would have any reason to not play Byrd if he was ready. Except maybe to make him suffer a little bit because of an embellished injury that everyone on the team knows is BS.

Total conjecture with zero evidence. For the record, what Marrone said is that he was reluctant to put a player (Byrd) out there coming off injury on a short week. He said had it been a full week of practice it would have been a different story. All of this rumor mongering nonsense among disgruntled or angry fans is beyond ridiculous.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Mike caussen a few years back had the same injury Byrd has been dealing with. They had to cut the ligaments in his foot as the only way to relive the pain.

I will never question a pro football players toughness or injuries.

Mike caussen a few years back had the same injury Byrd has been dealing with. They had to cut the ligaments in his foot as the only way to relive the pain.

I will never question a pro football players toughness or injuries.

yes. But the injury Byrd is dealing with... He's had for years. And never seemed to be a problem. This isn't something that just came up out of no where.

Total conjecture with zero evidence. For the record, what Marrone said is that he was reluctant to put a player (Byrd) out there coming off injury on a short week. He said had it been a full week of practice it would have been a different story. All of this rumor mongering nonsense among disgruntled or angry fans is beyond ridiculous.

its not zero evidence.

Glad you lump me in with the "angry fans" when I clearly am not about this. As I've stated, I'm one of the only people here that said this fiasco would get even uglier all the way back in February. Seems more to me that I'm the voice if reason here.

Yet even through all this I've been hoping I was wrong all along. So far, I haven't been wrong about a single thing that's played out regarding Byrd and his tag situation.

Yes. That's a LAMP moment.

Or has gotten worse as hes played more and gotten older. Offseason be damned because these guys train every single day

he hasn't played in a LONG time. And why is it that all the sudden as soon as he signed his tag, he made note of the injury? If he was training in the offseason, then why wasn't it an issue then? Hmmm Edited by mrags

its not zero evidence.

Glad you lump me in with the "angry fans" when I clearly am not about this. As I've stated, I'm one of the only people here that said this fiasco would get even uglier all the way back in February. Seems more to me that I'm the voice if reason here.

Yet even through all this I've been hoping I was wrong all along. So far, I haven't been wrong about a single thing that's played out regarding Byrd and his tag situation.

Yes. That's a LAMP moment.

You may not be among the "angry", but you're most definitely engaging unsupportable conjecture that questioned the legitimacy of Byrd's injury as well as Marrone's motivation for holding him out last week. The only ugliness has been from fans and some media. Coach Marrone has been 100% supportive of Byrd while the Bills FO hasn't had any negative public commentary about this situation. Knowing Marrone's history, his attitude toward Byrd would be completely different toward Byrd had he detected any BS from him.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

You may not be among the "angry", but you're most definitely engaging unsupportable conjecture that questioned the legitimacy of Byrd's injury as well as Marrone's motivation for holding him out last week. The only ugliness has been from fans and some media. Coach Marrone has been 100% supportive of Byrd while the Bills FO hasn't had any negative public commentary about this situation. Knowing Marrone's history, his attitude toward Byrd would be completely different toward Byrd had he detected any BS from him.

while I agree that most of the ugliness has come from the fans and the media it should not be overlooked at the different takes were received from both Marrone and Byrd this past week.

Originally Marrone said Byrd was ready to go and then Byrd **** it down. And then Byrd came out and said he was ready to go but Marrone shut him down. It's definitely something that shouldn't be swept under as no hard feelings. Obviously they can't both be telling the truth.

Some here choose to side with Burd because of the injury. Some don't believe the money hungry player and agent and side with the team. I personally feel that Byrd is playing a game with his "injury" and could have been playing already. That's what I choose to believe and there's no way anyone here is going to convince me differently. I don't expect to convince you or anyone else for that matter differently either. But it site is a good long argument that we've got going here. Since the offseason.

Again, I'm patting myself on the back here, I knew this would get even uglier and too many people kept saying Burd would sign and be on the field for the Pats back on opening weekend. So far, everyone else was wrong. Ill continue to sip my drink and toast to me being right.

I agree. There should just be more straight-up RFA rules after the fourth season, for a couple of years. It could allow teams to maintain control if they want to with right of first refusal on any offer, and for the drafting team to receive compensation should the player leave. If a player really wants to leave and the team matches the deal, it can trade him and the value and desire of another partner for the trade is clear and out in the open. And the restricted signing window is just BS.

All this tag business does is breed animosity among teams and players by and create uncertainty and discrepancies regarding value among the players. People can argue till they're blue in the face that most players sign their tag deals, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an inherently unfair system where a guy like Levitre cannot be retained under any circumstances by the Bills, while a guy like Byrd is, and cannot negotiate with anyone.

I understand why players hate it.

Good post.

while I agree that most of the ugliness has come from the fans and the media it should not be overlooked at the different takes were received from both Marrone and Byrd this past week.

Originally Marrone said Byrd was ready to go and then Byrd **** it down. And then Byrd came out and said he was ready to go but Marrone shut him down. It's definitely something that shouldn't be swept under as no hard feelings. Obviously they can't both be telling the truth.

Some here choose to side with Burd because of the injury. Some don't believe the money hungry player and agent and side with the team. I personally feel that Byrd is playing a game with his "injury" and could have been playing already. That's what I choose to believe and there's no way anyone here is going to convince me differently. I don't expect to convince you or anyone else for that matter differently either. But it site is a good long argument that we've got going here. Since the offseason.

Again, I'm patting myself on the back here, I knew this would get even uglier and too many people kept saying Burd would sign and be on the field for the Pats back on opening weekend. So far, everyone else was wrong. Ill continue to sip my drink and toast to me being right.

What are you talking about? There wasn't any controversy WRT last week. Byrd said he was fit to play and Marrone decided to wait until Byrd was full tilt in practice on a full week. End of Story. There was nothing else to this.

What are you talking about? There wasn't any controversy WRT last week. Byrd said he was fit to play and Marrone decided to wait until Byrd was full tilt in practice on a full week. End of Story. There was nothing else to this.

well. I have no link but I did hear Marrone talk about How he was ready to put him on the field and Byrd shut it down.

This is the basis of my argument from this past week so if I'm wrong, then I guess I'll eat crow for this particular argument. But I'm positive I heard Marrone say that in some interview/clip/conversation.

well. I have no link but I did hear Marrone talk about How he was ready to put him on the field and Byrd shut it down.

This is the basis of my argument from this past week so if I'm wrong, then I guess I'll eat crow for this particular argument. But I'm positive I heard Marrone say that in some interview/clip/conversation.

You are 100% incorrect about the situation.

It was the opposite. Byrd was ready to go, but Marrone shut it down.

It was the opposite. Byrd was ready to go, but Marrone shut it down.

well. From the clip I heard was not the case.

I won't argue that's what's in the media now. That it has been different since. But I'm going off what I heard. Again, this is all pointless regardless. I still think Byrd is embellishing his injury and there's no possible way anyone can tell me differently.

Read away: http://www.buffalobi...b45930a2a974

Want your crow fried, baked, broiled, grilled or just plain raw? :D

well. From the clip I heard was not the case.

I won't argue that's what's in the media now. That it has been different since. But I'm going off what I heard. Again, this is all pointless regardless. I still think Byrd is embellishing his injury and there's no possible way anyone can tell me differently.