8-8

KikO M G

After the draft, I was hoping for an 8-8 season. A 2 game improvement over last year. A clear sign that this team was moving in the right direction, with a developing QB who could hopefully turn an 8-8 rookie season into 9-5 or 10-6 in year two.

So far, despite all the injuries and disappointments, there have been several reasons for optimism, and an 8-8 season is not at all out of the question. Even with a new QB for the next several weeks, it doesn't change my season outlook much (assuming they can get some type of upgrade over an undrafted rookie). This team was built around defense and the run from day one. Any QB who can avoid turnovers and air it out on occasion should be able to keep this team in games. Especially with the (hopeful) return of Byrd and Gilmore, this will be one of the best defenses in the NFL. With 10 days for Freddie and CJ to get healthy, this will continue to be one of the best running teams in the NFL. Very few teams are elite in all facets of the game. I believe this team will be competive in most, if not all, games, and have a legitimate shot at an 8-8 season, despite the EJ injury, if they can bring in someone, anyone, who is a servicable replacement.

That's all anyone could reasonably expect for this season, right? 8-8? An upward trajectory? A rational reason to believe this team has forward momentum for a playoff push next year or the year after? Nothing that has happened so far this season has dashed those hopes or made me think "same old BIlls."

I agree they're going to have an excellent defense when their secondary is finally intact.

And I agree they should be competitive in about every game on their schedule.

But I have a hard time seeing them actually pulling out many W's. I think they going to struggle to score points most of this season and the defense is going to have to play near flawless football to actually win games. With the way this league is currently set up, playing perfect defense is just too much to ask for.

That being said, this is the first time I've been relatively happy with the direction this team is moving since about 1 day before they traded for Drew Bledsoe.

It really shouldn't matter as much as it does who is at the QB position. There are enough play makers on our offense where little dink and dunks should move the ball. Screen passes are conspicuously absent and we've got the weapons for an effective screen game. Just cant imagine why they've abandoned that play ....almost completely.

Run those plays, get the QB (whomever it is) into a rhythm. Gain confidence. Take advantage of the offensive weapons on the roster.

Man it sure is aggravating at times !!!

I agree they're going to have an excellent defense when their secondary is finally intact.

And I agree they should be competitive in about every game on their schedule.

But I have a hard time seeing them actually pulling out many W's. I think they going to struggle to score points most of this season and the defense is going to have to play near flawless football to actually win games. With the way this league is currently set up, playing perfect defense is just too much to ask for.

That being said, this is the first time I've been relatively happy with the direction this team is moving since about 1 day before they traded for Drew Bledsoe.

Part of the problem with pulling out W's is we're still shooting ourselves in the foot with stupid penalties - giving up 1st downs to the other team and digging our O into a pit.

If they finish 8 -8 and EJ shows improvement when he returns then you could chalk this up as a good season. An interesting turn of events could be if Freeman is signed and miraculously the Bills fins really a strongly with him. Wouldn't it be a nice change to have a QB controversy and competition heading into the offseason?

Given my name on this board, I feel compelled to reply to this one. I've held to the popular notion that the Bills are just good enough to avoid being great. No high franchise changing draft picks due to consistent 5-6-7 win seasons; no big Free Agent signings because of the no-playoff nature of this franchise and hey, what 20-something NFL playboy wants to play on a losing franchise in, well, Buffalo, NY. Honestly. We think its an OK place but it is viewed as this not so much by the rest of the country and of course by NFL players' peers.

So.... you have a perpetual "8 - 8 Forever" , give or take, kind of situation. Looks at Levitre and Byrd, just the latest edition of "one and done" contract -wise. They're trapped b/c they were drafted into the b lo, but their agent gets em out of town at the first opportunity. This just perpetuates the 8-8 phenomenon. they need the "big breakthrough" ... maybe this is the year. seems like not, but maybe. I just see more departures in free agency after this year.. Carrington, and others..

We shall see. This franchise starts behind the 8 ball. Maybe they can get out from behind it.