If the Sabres were a turd...

Sabres traded Thomas Vanek to Islanders for Matt Moulson, 2014 1st round, and 2015 2nd round picks. Moulson on last year of contract.

I'm bummed, Vanek was their only true star player, now they have nobody to score.

Pretty dumb trade this early in the season, I would have waited until the deadline and made a team overpay for Vanek. Next years draft is garbage, getting a first in 2015 is the move to make since this team is starting a 5 year plan to the 8 seed.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good trade, as long as they sign Moulson. And you absolutely cannot wait until the trade deadline, too risky since you cannot trade a hurt player. I like the move and the timing...

Agreed. Now trade miller.

I thinks its clear darcy is feeling the heat and trying to distract the fans. I like the trade but I still want darcy gone.

Good trade, as long as they sign Moulson. And you absolutely cannot wait until the trade deadline, too risky since you cannot trade a hurt player. I like the move and the timing...

Won't be surprised if they trade Moulson at the deadline for picks/prospects.

Sabres traded Thomas Vanek to Islanders for Matt Moulson, 2014 1st round, and 2015 2nd round picks. Moulson on last year of contract.

I'm bummed, Vanek was their only true star player, now they have nobody to score.

Missed this earlier tonight...there was a part of me that really wanted this season to pan out much better, and Vanek ended up signing a long-term deal...obviously that wasn't happening, so here we are. Makes me wonder happens with Miller (obviously he is going to be traded) and Ott. I have given Miller lots of crap over the last few seasons, but he has been the best thing the Sabres have going this season... kind of bummed. Not sure what to make of Moulson..he is a 30 year old left winger whose contract expires at the end of the season. Do the Sabres try to re-sign him? Kind of goes against the youth movement vibe they are setting into place...why does Darcy Reigers' continued involvement in the future of the Sabres really make me leery?

Oh well...Lindy is back in Buffalo this week!

Edited by Buftex

Great point about the oft-injured Vanek. And my guess is that Moulson will be gone at the deadline for another First Round pick and maybe more. This is a great deal! Though....Vanek should have been let go way back for the Oilers 4 first round picks, IMo

Great point about the oft-injured Vanek. And my guess is that Moulson will be gone at the deadline for another First Round pick and maybe more. This is a great deal! Though....Vanek should have been let go way back for the Oilers 4 first round picks, IMo

In all fairness to Darcy (believe me, no fan of his) but that is easy to say in hind-sight. Vanek was an up and commer, and they had just bothced the Drury & Briere situation...if they had let Vanek skate, things would have been, perceptually any ways, much worse.

In all fairness to Darcy (believe me, no fan of his) but that is easy to say in hind-sight. Vanek was an up and commer, and they had just bothced the Drury & Briere situation...if they had let Vanek skate, things would have been, perceptually any ways, much worse.

And in fairness to me, I was saying it at the time, but in hindsight it just makes more sense now. I think the league is getting younger and I didn't know that back then. Younger players develop faster and have a bigger impact sooner, it seems to me. It would be cool to see what would have happened with those picks and the huge money savings that could have been spent on free agents.

And in fairness to me, I was saying it at the time, but in hindsight it just makes more sense now. I think the league is getting younger and I didn't know that back then. Younger players develop faster and have a bigger impact sooner, it seems to me. It would be cool to see what would have happened with those picks and the huge money savings that could have been spent on free agents.

I get you, but Vanek was the young guy back then, just starting to come into his own...I am not sure if he ever turned into a "superstar", but as close to anything the Sabres have had since. But, your point is taken. The Sabres, if they have a future, are fully committed to two or three years down the road...no point in hanging on to these guys now...and just keep the fingers crossed that a lot of these guys pan out...I just don't like the current management/coaching staff enough to feel like we are just being strung along again. They really don't inspire much confidence. Maybe I am being too harsh on Rolston, but I just don't get a good feeling from him at all.

What's up with the Lindy lovefest tonight? Wasn't he generally deemed as part of the problem when he was here?

They had some good years with him. The fact that they've become worse after he left shows that he was not the ultimate problem. But it was time for a change. Just not a change for worse.

What's up with the Lindy lovefest tonight? Wasn't he generally deemed as part of the problem when he was here?

Well, for better or worse, the guy was the coach of the team for 15 years. I am one who thought it was time for a change when he was let go, but I will always remember him as a fine coach. I would guess a fair number of the people in the arena tonight can't even remember a Sabres before Lindy Ruff. He deserved to take a bow, and say goodbye to the Sabres faithful. He was the man at the helm for some really great seasons...

Pretty cool that Moulson scored two, not one goal in his Sabres debut.

Edited by Buftex

It is probably the least sad I ever felt losing a Buffalo "star" player. The Sabres basically got forced to pay him top money by their own stupidity. He got paid like a top player and was never close to that. He was a one dimensional player that disappeared far too often. On a team loaded with talent, he's a good player. But he was never the type to carry a team and that's how he was getting paid.

It's not his fault and good for him. But in hindsight, the Sabres should have let him walk and taken 4 1st round picks (could you imagine if the Bills could do that with Byrd?). but the lesson as always, Darcy is terrible. Let's extend DR for 4 more years!!!

It is probably the least sad I ever felt losing a Buffalo "star" player. The Sabres basically got forced to pay him top money by their own stupidity. He got paid like a top player and was never close to that. He was a one dimensional player that disappeared far too often. On a team loaded with talent, he's a good player. But he was never the type to carry a team and that's how he was getting paid.

It's not his fault and good for him. But in hindsight, the Sabres should have let him walk and taken 4 1st round picks (could you imagine if the Bills could do that with Byrd?). but the lesson as always, Darcy is terrible. Let's extend DR for 4 more years!!!

They would have burned down HSBC arena, at that time, if the Sabres not only lost Drury, Briere and Vanek. I will give Darcy credit for one thing though, he does manage to get a lot in return for pieces, when his back is against the wall (Vanek, Pomminville, Guastadt). He is acquiring a healthy pool of draft picks... would love to be somebody else in charge of these upcoming drafts...

They would have burned down HSBC arena, at that time, if the Sabres not only lost Drury, Briere and Vanek. I will give Darcy credit for one thing though, he does manage to get a lot in return for pieces, when his back is against the wall (Vanek, Pomminville, Guastadt). He is acquiring a healthy pool of draft picks... would love to be somebody else in charge of these upcoming drafts...

Agree 100%. Why should the guy who destroyed a team that was a Stanley Cup contender to the point where it might be the worst in the league be allowed to pick these picks?

Darcy is what he is. It's been 17 years. Turn the page. This "nerd crew" is so uninspiring.

Why did the Islanders make this trade? It seems that the two players are almost equals, and have equal contract situations..........Yet, they threw in two premium picks??

Exactly! This is where Darcy excels. Think he is bad... On the other end there is Garth Snow. WTF was he thinking? Sabres may get two top 5-10 picks... Fishsticks aren't exactly melting the ice on The Island! Heck, they maybe in the lottery for both number 1 and 2! How sweet would that be? Has that ever happened before in on of the 4 major sports?

This reeks of the Kessel trade and how the Bruins came out smelling like a rose... Even if the Leafs are lighting it up finally!

Anyway... How's that great Autumn weather in WNY treating you? :nana: :nana:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois