Tampa Bay imploding as a franchise...

Big Turk

I'm just happy my Bills have some hope.

Yep, as much as we complain--and we have lots to complain about--there are quite a few franchises around that league that are significantly worse off than we are. I'm thinking of Tampa, J-Ville, St. Louis, Oakland, and arguably Minnesota. And a lot of people would have put Cleveland in that category two weeks ago. I also expect the Redskins to turn into a full-blown dumpster fire by the end of year, when it becomes apparent that the savior of their franchise is never going to be the same as he was last year. I didn't mention Pittsburgh or the Giants, for obvious reasons.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, as much as we complain--and we have lots to complain about--there are quite a few franchises around that league that are significantly worse off than we are. I'm thinking of Tampa, J-Ville, St. Louis, Oakland, and arguably Minnesota. And a lot of people would have put Cleveland in that category two weeks ago. I also expect the Redskins to turn into a full-blown dumpster fire by the end of year, when it becomes apparent that the savior of their franchise is never going to be the same as he was last year. I didn't mention Pittsburgh or the Giants, for obvious reasons.

I guess I can't understand your definition of "significantly worse off". What are their W-L records for the last 5 years? When did they last sniff playoffs?

I guess I can't understand your definition of "significantly worse off". What are their W-L records for the last 5 years? When did they last sniff playoffs?

I meant the current state of the team/franchise. I realize that no team has gone longer than Buffalo without appearing in the playoffs and that we have sucked really hard the past 5 years.

Yeah, Minnesota's owners are getting hit with a judgement in the hundreds of millions for "mob like" intimidation of people they were stealing money from...

Cleveland's owner is under investigation by the FBI for swindling companies out of discounts and has overwhelming evidence against them...emails, tape recorded meetings, tape recorded phone calls between executives, plenty of people singing...he is going to be taking a pretty hard fall...

Jacksonville...nothing else is needed to say for them...

Edited by matter2003

Schiano is the kind of coach that hits the scene and wows everyone but over time his antics rub the folks the wrong way. He will be gone at the end of season. Back to the college ranks for him.

I meant the current state of the team/franchise. I realize that no team has gone longer than Buffalo without appearing in the playoffs and that we have sucked really hard the past 5 years.

OK, what you said makes sense in that context. As far as our team's success/failure this year relative to those others....time will tell though I'm...hopeful

Its becoming blatantly obvious to everyone...players, media, ex Buc employees that Schiano really has it in for Freeman...

Schiano is so blinded by his almost maniacal need to completely destroy Josh Freeman he can't see its leading to his downfall...

PTI brought up an interesting point last night...the release of the drug program info and now the fine stuff only serve to kill the trade value of Freeman, so why would Schiano/ Bucs do that?

OTOH, if Freeman can get his ass outright released (cause every knows he WILL be released within he week)with full pay for remainder of season , and he does not agree to any offsets(he won't) , he and his agent get to double dip for the year and also pick their own destination.

So who has more to gain by leaking the info....Freeman or someone in the Bucs organ---eye---zation

PTI brought up an interesting point last night...the release of the drug program info and now the fine stuff only serve to kill the trade value of Freeman, so why would Schiano/ Bucs do that?

OTOH, if Freeman can get his ass outright released (cause every knows he WILL be released within he week)with full pay for remainder of season , and he does not agree to any offsets(he won't) , he and his agent get to double dip for the year and also pick their own destination.

So who has more to gain by leaking the info....Freeman or someone in the Bucs organ---eye---zation

May be they (Bucs) don't care about a trade; but are more interested in *killing* Freeman's NFL Career.

This is an interesting point. It could have merit. On the other hand, Freeman wants to play somewhere else. Damaging information about him - drug program, ADHD, missing meetings - hurt his chances of that severely as well. I don't believe Freeman or his associates have any more motivation than the Bucs organization (rational parts of it anyway) to leak information that is damaging to him.

I have a picture of Schiano as the sort of hyper-competitive person who just has to be "right" and who'll act impulsively, in the moment, go to any lengths and do whatever he believes will prove him "right". Look at his insistance on blitzing the victory formation, a pointless way to garner ill-will around the league if there ever was one. I don't think he leaked the drug program information.....but I can easily see him ranting to his assistants/flunkys about "if the media knew everything we know about this guy no one would criticize me for a second", and one of said flunkys doing the dirt, believing that he was doing his boss's will, and without consideration to the broad impact on the Bucs best interests (because flunkys don't think about organizational best interests). The Henry II effect "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" "What? No, I didn't murder him! I didn't tell anyone to murder him!!!!"

I don't think Freeman will be cut. i think the Bucs are trying to justify themselves in suspending him, so they don't have to pay him. Thing is, after the drug stuff leaked and with a player grievance already filed for putting the MRSA-infected kicker on "non football injury" instead of "IR" which is more typical, if they do suspend Freeman they will ignite a firestorm of controversy and create a prolonged and intense media distraction during the inevitable appeals by Freeman, investigation, and legal action. The NFLPA is watching them and will not be inclined to cut them the benefit of the doubt in the "he said, he said" game.

It kind of makes me retrospectively appreciate Gailey: benched Edwards one week, quietly cut him the next, no fuss, no furor. Schiano should be singing like the Scarecrow in Wizard of OZ: "if I only had a brain"

Edited by Hopeful

But to another angle, if their goal is suspension and termination without pay.... As they should know an 8m backup qb mid season on an expiring deal is unlikely to fetch picks but they need to sell the"we tried to do right" story.... They are doing well setting him up for that.

But to another angle, if their goal is suspension and termination without pay.... As they should know an 8m backup qb mid season on an expiring deal is unlikely to fetch picks but they need to sell the"we tried to do right" story.... They are doing well setting him up for that.

Both good points by you and Hopeful. What a mess down there.

I understand there may be legitimate concerns....but this is Buffalo....and, maybe, just maybe, we should finish replacing our glass house with brick before we pick up any stones....just a friendly suggestion.

Yes. We are the worst franchise EVER!

Freeman had almost zero trade value to begin with. It's revenge, pure and simple.

I understand there may be legitimate concerns....but this is Buffalo....and, maybe, just maybe, we should finish replacing our glass house with brick before we pick up any stones....just a friendly suggestion.

Bricks are too heavy.