Did TD make the right decision

KurtGodel77

Did TD's trade for Drew make sense, or should he have stuck with Johnson?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did TD's trade for Drew make sense, or should he have stuck with Johnson?

• He should have traded for Drew
    • He should have stuck with Johnson & saved himself a first round pick

I have not always agreed with you, but I always thought that you were a smart and accomplished person and have respected you.

I still do, but I will tell you point blank that comparing Drew to Blake is pure stupidity. It serves to diminish the validity of of any of your hate posts, and even exposes them as such.

Bro, it is not to late to retract this stupid analogy in terms of talent, the role Drew played in fan interest, and keeping the team in WNY, etc.

207687[/snapback]

I begged for us not to trade for Drew and at the time I suggested Kitna, Blake or Delhome. Hindsight is 20/20 but those were the options I suggested back in 2001. If we signed Blake we would of had a number one draft choice and we would have had over $6 million in additional cap space which could fix oline and other holes. Blake is fairly comprable in terms of skills to Drew. Blake probably throws the best deep ball in the NFL and has a cannon- just like Drew. Of course in hindsight Blake might not of been the right choice but that was what I suggested at the time. The poll is very misleading and biased the way its worded. We had plenty of options besides RJ or Drew- thats why I threw those 3 names out there. I do agree Drew sparked fan interest and helped attract FAs at first but its time to turn the page. One other FA I am interested now is Charlie Batch.

I begged for us not to trade for Drew and at the time I suggested Kitna, Blake or Delhome.  Hindsight is 20/20 but those were the options I suggested back in 2001.  If we signed Blake we would of had a number one draft choice and we would have had over $6 million in additional cap space which could fix oline and other holes.  Blake is fairly comprable in terms of skills to Drew.  Blake probably throws the best deep ball in the NFL and has a cannon- just like Drew.  Of course in hindsight Blake might not of been the right choice but that was what I suggested at the time.  The poll is very misleading and biased the way its worded.  We had plenty of options besides RJ or Drew- thats why I threw those 3 names out there.  I do agree Drew sparked fan interest and helped attract FAs at first but its time to turn the page.  One other FA I am interested now is Charlie Batch.

207768[/snapback]

Coming off of a 3-13 season, trading for a high profile Drew Bledsoe was the best option. If we had signed a Jeff Blake or Jon Kitna, we probably wouldn't have sold out all of those early games because it wouldn't signal a big step forward from the catastrophic Rob Johnson error. Going after someone no one thougt was possible and getting him was huge.

And, in hind sight, that is something that helped our prestige and in a roundabout way helped get great players like Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy and Takeo Spikes.

I begged for us not to trade for Drew and at the time I suggested Kitna, Blake or Delhome.  Hindsight is 20/20 but those were the options I suggested back in 2001.  If we signed Blake we would of had a number one draft choice and we would have had over $6 million in additional cap space which could fix oline and other holes.  Blake is fairly comprable in terms of skills to Drew.  Blake probably throws the best deep ball in the NFL and has a cannon- just like Drew.  Of course in hindsight Blake might not of been the right choice but that was what I suggested at the time.  The poll is very misleading and biased the way its worded.  We had plenty of options besides RJ or Drew- thats why I threw those 3 names out there.  I do agree Drew sparked fan interest and helped attract FAs at first but its time to turn the page.  One other FA I am interested now is Charlie Batch.

207768[/snapback]

I disagree on a couple of facts that you state:

1. Yes we would have had not traded the future #1 to get Bledsoe though I'm pretty happy with the 1st round pick we got in that draft and had no need to use that 1st on getting a QB as we likely would have done if Blake was our QB.

2. We would not have had over $6 million in additional cap room to spend if we didn't trade for Bledsoe. His first year cap hit was $5.4 million not over $6 million. I don't know about you but I do not consider a million dollar difference mere chumop change. Further, getting Blake as our starter also would have some cost. I'm not sure what his salary is but we paid Matthes $700K to be our disaster QB and my guess is getting Blake to start would likely have reduced your false additional $6 million number by another couple of million or more.

In my mind, the Bledsoe problem we had was not the trade which I view in terms of on the field contribution as good as we could do in terms of producing an 8-8 W/L his first year and as bad as it could be his second year based on his horrendous play. Add to that from the Bills\ business perspective the off field marketing they did when he got here.

Our problem was resigning him after that wash.

He should of signed Jeff Blake or Jon Kitna or traded for Jake Delhome.  90% of Bills fans did not want RJ back regardless if Drew was here or not

207640[/snapback]

Hindsight is 20/20

I'm sure three years ago you would have been thrilled if we Jake who?

give me a break!

Hindsight is 20/20

I'm sure three years ago you would have been thrilled if we Jake who?

give me a break!

207887[/snapback]

dig up my posts. Yes I would of been thrilled! I live in New England and have watched Drew play his whole career. He sucked for years before he got here

207768[/snapback]

If that was what you were suggesting back in 2001, I have more respect for your point of view. Of those three choices, two would actually have worked out pretty well; though Blake would have been a bust. So it's really a choice between getting the extra first round pick and cap space by going the FA route, and getting the instant credibility and prestige that allows you to sign Sam Adams and Takeo Spikes.

Not just no, but hell no.

The DB trade is a clear second to the RJ/DF debacle for setting the whole franchise back.

207917[/snapback]

I think you're overstating it, because the Bills were able to sign those free agents. However, they would have been better off had they traded their pick in the early 2nd round of 2002 (plus a later round pick) for a pick in the late first round; and used that first round pick to draft Patrick Ramsey.

trading for drew was a good move at the time

giving him a good signing bonus while he was suppose to be taking a pay cut before the season was NOT a good move.

it's time to move on. give me matthews, losman or someone else

208091[/snapback]

What if that someone else happened to have a cool first name, like Kurt? Kurt started the year off quite well, before the Giants' overall offensive collapse made it almost impossible for there to be good play at the QB position. You give Warner the pocket protection Drew had, give him the weapons Drew had, and give him a RB like McGahee to take pressure off the passing game. If he does well, we make the playoffs.

If he falters, you bench him and play Losman. Losman would be that much better off by having had several more weeks of practices before he had to start. You say that Losman had a full year in the film study room, and that's true. But there's a difference between studying a play on film, and actually going out and doing it on the field. If Kurt did get benched, he'd be very supportive of Losman's learning.