Wilfork has torn achilles

Dean Cain

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't root for injuries, but that's a huge blow to them (or should be). In my estimation, after Brady, he's their most important player. I hate the guy (on the field) for some of the crap he's pulled over the years, but he's a great player, probably one of the 2-3 best NT's in the League. Off the field, believe it or not, it sounds like he does some good charitable work, so I'll give him props for that, with an asterisk (of course) for the stories of him and that booster at the U--from a story I read on that last year it sounded like Big Vince squeezed that guy for all he was worth when he was a 'Cane....

Interesting take by a Pats* fan over at their forum. May be seeing the end of an era:

Originally Posted by RI Patriots fan viewpost.gif

I hate to say this but looking at the facts, this could be the last we see of Vince Wilfork in a Patriots uniform if this injury is season ending.

"No way", you say.... but I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Seymour. Here are some of the facts:

1.) Wilfork has not played well this year....not at all. Maybe he was injured maybe not, but he hasn't been listed on the injury report other than "foot" and he was listed as probable.

2.) Wilfork seems to be very out of shape this year. During the 2012 season he entered the season in much better shape. This year he looks much heavier.

3.) In his career, I don't remember him ever having to rehab from a major injury.

4.) Wilfork will be 33 years old next November.

5.) According to "Over the cap", Wilfork will count $11.6 million against the cap next year. Of that, $8.0 million could be saved, if he was cut or traded.

» Over the Cap- New England Patriots 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts

Forget your homer-fan love for Wilfork for a second and look at this like a cold hearted Patriots executive.

Wilfork will be 33 years old next season. He will be coming off a major injury during which he can't work out (at least with his legs) but he can eat.

Do you see him being more explosive being a year older, coming off a major injury, and being out of shape...or less explosive?

Is the Vince Wilfork of next year at 33 years old worth $8 million???

I say no....and I was thinking this before the injury.

Unless he is willing to take a major paycut I don't see Wilfork playing for the Patriots....again.

He

I don't root for injuries, but that's a huge blow to them (or should be). In my estimation, after Brady, he's their most important player. I hate the guy (on the field) for some of the crap he's pulled over the years, but he's a great player, probably one of the 2-3 best NT's in the League. Off the field, believe it or not, it sounds like he does some good charitable work, so I'll give him props for that, with an asterisk (of course) for the stories of him and that booster at the U--from a story I read on that last year it sounded like Big Vince squeezed that guy for all he was worth when he was a 'Cane....

Interesting take by a Pats* fan over at their forum. May be seeing the end of an era:

I hate to say this but looking at the facts, this could be the last we see of Vince Wilfork in a Patriots uniform if this injury is season ending.

"No way", you say.... but I'm sure you would have said the same thing about Seymour. Here are some of the facts:

1.) Wilfork has not played well this year....not at all. Maybe he was injured maybe not, but he hasn't been listed on the injury report other than "foot" and he was listed as probable.

2.) Wilfork seems to be very out of shape this year. During the 2012 season he entered the season in much better shape. This year he looks much heavier.

3.) In his career, I don't remember him ever having to rehab from a major injury.

5.) According to "Over the cap", Wilfork will count $11.6 million against the cap next year. Of that, $8.0 million could be saved, if he was cut or traded.

Forget your homer-fan love for Wilfork for a second and look at this like a cold hearted Patriots executive.

Wilfork will be 33 years old next season. He will be coming off a major injury during which he can't work out (at least with his legs) but he can eat.

Do you see him being more explosive being a year older, coming off a major injury, and being out of shape...or less explosive?

Unless he is willing to take a major paycut I don't see Wilfork playing for the Patriots....again.

He's done as a Patriot . . . might make a nice rotational player for the Bills next year?

This makes a lot of sense. He's probably out for the year (which I'm certainly not bemoaning) and I can see him indeed getting cut. It would be nice not to have to face him twice a year.

hate him as a player... but really don't like seeing injuries like this happen at this stage of a player's career.

Hate to be a sap, but hoping for a full recovery. (Id be lying if I said there isnt a loud part of me happy the Pats are losing another important piece though...)

Dont they have a Wilfork clone in training?

hate him as a player... but really don't like seeing injuries like this happen at this stage of a player's career.

Hate to be a sap, but hoping for a full recovery. (Id be lying if I said there isnt a loud part of me happy the Pats are losing another important piece though...)

Dont they have a Wilfork clone in training?

This.

Celebrating any injury lacks class and humanity.

I hope he is able to end his career on his own terms. I'd prefer he never plays against the Bills again ... but I hope he heals properly and quickly.

This sounds like a career ender for him.

i was gonna say this as well. Does that mean he'll never play again? Probably not. He'll play. But at what level. Like the Pat fan said already, hes a fat tub of lard and now will get fatter and won't be able to work out his legs. So either he loses weight by cutting back on food, stats the same, gets fatter. To me that sounds like, gains weight or stays the same and his tender Achilles might not be able to deal with the stress and his career suffers. OR, he loses weight to make it easier on his Achilles and his career suffers because he's not so menacing on the field anymore.

And for what it's worth, I too am happy he's injured. The guy has injured many players himself. He hasn't really been in recent years, but when he was younger, he was a very dirty player. Karma MFer.

As much as I don't like the guy, I don't cheer for anyone to get hurt. This is a huge blow for them, as he's easily one of the top 5 defensive players in the NFL.

I hope it's not a career-ender, as a guy that's played as well as he has for as long as he has deserves better.

All that said, it's unlike the Pats* to let an injury derail their season; I expect some no-name dude to come in and play well in his stead.