Peoria, Ill residents don't like wood houses

Just Jack

Some would-be Morton neighbors less than welcoming to Habitat family

Most communities roll out the welcome wagon for military veterans, solid families and Habitat for Humanity. But some Morton residents don’t want that kind of riff-raff in their neighborhood. Noses in air, a petition is being circulated to protest the arrival of the first military home by Habitat for Humanity of the Greater Peoria Area. Why? The dwelling is — gasp! — made of wood, while all of the surrounding residences consist of brick.

Mind you, the house has the blessing of U.S. Rep. Aaron Schock, R-Peoria. He is raising funds to help build the place, intended for a wounded battle vet, his wife and their three children.

Huh?? Central Illinois has even cheaper cost of living (housing than where I live). My wage/pay is based out of the Quad Cities/Peoria area and the cost of living is higher near Chicago here. YET, I can find a house for 25k! 25K! Of course, not that big and would be a "handy man special"... But man... You can get a walk right in house for under a 100k with some land.

"Brian Wood admits that after he got home, he struggled to adjust to life back in central Illinois. One of his biggest frustrations was trying to find an affordable place to live."

What the heck is he looking for? Something new?

If I took a transfer to Peoria, cost of living would be lower... I think Peoria has some of the lowest housing costs in the country. ?? Anway, all houses are made of wood... How much more would it cost to brick it? 10%?

Huh?? Central Illinois has even cheaper cost of living (housing than where I live). My wage/pay is based out of the Quad Cities/Peoria area and the cost of living is higher near Chicago here. YET, I can find a house for 25k! 25K! Of course, not that big and would be a "handy man special"... But man... You can get a walk right in house for under a 100k with some land.

"Brian Wood admits that after he got home, he struggled to adjust to life back in central Illinois. One of his biggest frustrations was trying to find an affordable place to live."

What the heck is he looking for? Something new?

If I took a transfer to Peoria, cost of living would be lower... I think Peoria has some of the lowest housing costs in the country. ?? Anway, all houses are made of wood... How much more would it cost to brick it? 10%?

$25k? My kitchen cost more than that.

And thay $100k house. How much will it be worth in 10 years? What was it worth 10 years ago?

The thing is all the houses are basically built the same... It is what they are sided with... Clapboard (vinyl, wood, etc...) siding or brick.

What about a brick face? My house has a brick face. Like I said... How much more does brick add to the house? 10% more or something around that. Why can't they just accomadate and have Habitat side the house w/brick? The are building it for 130... Brick may take it to 145-150?

The thing is all the houses are basically built the same... It is what they are sided with... Clapboard (vinyl, wood, etc...) siding or brick.

What about a brick face? My house has a brick face. Like I said... How much more does brick add to the house? 10% more or something around that. Why can't they just accomadate and have Habitat side the house w/brick? The are building it for 130... Brick may take it to 145-150?

What if I don't want a house with brick anything? What if I want........gasp!! stucco?

$25k? My kitchen cost more than that.

And thay $100k house. How much will it be worth in 10 years? What was it worth 10 years ago?

Here... Built our house new in 1996, I paid 145 with just around a 1/4 acre lot. I am in for for the long haul. I am not sure what places are going for... Prices all over the board w/foreclosures and what not.

What if I don't want a house with brick anything? What if I want........gasp!! stucco?

Depends. Doesn't sound like they have a home association or something. They said the area is 60 years old so it can't be a historical area? If it is deemed historical... They can put restrictions on what you can have. I sureveyed the harbor @ Vermillion, Ohio (west of Cleveland) and one development had all green roofs! I guess that is what was acceptable and allowed.