It's a Bird...it's a Plane...it's..SUPER HD!

ajzepp

I was just completely caught off guard a few minutes ago...

Tonight I bought my first plasma - a Panasonic ST60 50" - so I was already really excited. I get the display set up, go through the tutorial, and start playing around with the settings and features. I decided to fire up Netflix since there are some movies I've seen recently that would give me a nice frame of reference from my current display to the new plasma. I clicked on a movie called "Into the White", which is a very good Norwegian film based on a true story of British and German pilots whose planes crash in the same area and have to work together to survive.

Anyway it's pretty intuitive, so didn't take me long to get it going...I clicked on play and within the first five seconds my jaw literally dropped. My roomate thought there was something wrong with me, cause she had never seen that expression on my face. It honestly looked as though I was watching the events of the film go down live...as if I were right there on set watching the movie be filmed. It was completely unexpected that things would be looking anywhere near this good, especially for an indy film that I'm just streaming through a service I use all the time.

Well, as it turns out, Netflix has JUST opened up their top quality streams, called "Super HD", to all members. I had never even heard of this until I had this experience tonight. Apparently it's a less compressed 1080p stream than what you may get on other services, and it's basically equivalent to bluray. So it was the combination of the new plasma AND Netflix streaming, so it's even better news than I expected. Netflix is also adding more 3D titles for members....kudos to them for both of these advances. I was very vocal to the company directly when they started delaying new releases...they essentially drove me to Vudu, Amazon streaming, and iTunes movies and it made no business sense to me at all. Well they've gradually improved their streaming service, first by adding thousands more titles, many of which are very appealing, and now taking it to a whole new level with this news.

Well done, Netflix! And holy CRAP, if you guys aren't running plasmas, I highly recommend them!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57604873-93/netflix-opens-the-gates-to-super-hd-video-for-all/

Pics???

I was just completely caught off guard a few minutes ago...

Tonight I bought my first plasma - a Panasonic ST60 50" - so I was already really excited. I get the display set up, go through the tutorial, and start playing around with the settings and features. I decided to fire up Netflix since there are some movies I've seen recently that would give me a nice frame of reference from my current display to the new plasma. I clicked on a movie called "Into the White", which is a very good Norwegian film based on a true story of British and German pilots whose planes crash in the same area and have to work together to survive.

Anyway it's pretty intuitive, so didn't take me long to get it going...I clicked on play and within the first five seconds my jaw literally dropped. My roomate thought there was something wrong with me, cause she had never seen that expression on my face. It honestly looked as though I was watching the events of the film go down live...as if I were right there on set watching the movie be filmed. It was completely unexpected that things would be looking anywhere near this good, especially for an indy film that I'm just streaming through a service I use all the time.

Well, as it turns out, Netflix has JUST opened up their top quality streams, called "Super HD", to all members. I had never even heard of this until I had this experience tonight. Apparently it's a less compressed 1080p stream than what you may get on other services, and it's basically equivalent to bluray. So it was the combination of the new plasma AND Netflix streaming, so it's even better news than I expected. Netflix is also adding more 3D titles for members....kudos to them for both of these advances. I was very vocal to the company directly when they started delaying new releases...they essentially drove me to Vudu, Amazon streaming, and iTunes movies and it made no business sense to me at all. Well they've gradually improved their streaming service, first by adding thousands more titles, many of which are very appealing, and now taking it to a whole new level with this news.

Well done, Netflix! And holy CRAP, if you guys aren't running plasmas, I highly recommend them!

http://news.cnet.com...-video-for-all/

I know, I feel bad leaving you guys hangin'....but you gotta be tactful when it comes to Cuban women and pics...make the wrong move an *THWACK!!* right upside the head!

Now, if you want pics of the PLASMA, I can accommodate that for sure haha. It's amazing the quality of display you can get for under a grand these days...

Edited by ajzepp

I know, I feel bad leaving you guys hangin'....but you gotta be tactful when it comes to Cuban women and pics...make the wrong move an *THWACK!!* right upside the head!

She's just a roommate according to you so what's the problem?

Now, if you want pics of the PLASMA, I can accommodate that for sure haha. It's amazing the quality of display you can get for under a grand these days...

Sure, just turn off the display, so the screen is black, and make sure we can see a reflection of the roommate in it.